Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Drivers for Intel Macs

Drivers for Intel Macs
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2012, 10:47 AM

I have a scanner Epson Perfection 1650. Epson say there is no driver for this that can be installed on Intel Macs, because the product is so old that they no longer support it. Hmm... there seems to be drivers for Windows 7 though...

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a workaround so I can use my scanner with my Intel Mac?

Åke

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2012, 11:33 AM

So, the ICA scanner driver listed here doesn't work for you.?

ibook_steve
May 10, 2012, 06:03 PM

It may be supported natively in the OS. Go to the Print & Scan preferences and click the + sign to add it and see.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks Angelmb, the link you provided helped. It took me a while to figure out that I was supposed to use the "photo gathering" app in OSX. I had expected the driver to come with its own separate app like it was on the PowerMac.

Strangely enough, when I searched for a driver through Epson's Swedish support site I found a driver download that was clearly listed as being for both Power Mac and Intel Mac, but it was actually only for the Power Mac. Called their phone support and they could not solve the problem. They claimed that there was no way to use this scanner with an Intel Mac. So much for phone support...

The website you directed me to also advises me to download a "Config utility" which I couldn't find. But it does not seem to be needed. The Photo gathering worked.

Åke

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 03:20 AM

Glad it worked. I am fine relying on OS X Image Capture app to work with my scanner (Epson Perfection V33.) Most 3rd party apps are clumsy and an eye-sore to look at.

Forum Links
Forum Rules