Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD player

DVD player
wcoates
Jan 12, 2000, 01:55 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the sound from a DVD movie lags behind the video? I have an iMac DVD SE, and it is quite irritating on this machine. There is also a loss of video and audio following a "pause."
Otherwise, I think this machine is great.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2000, 02:01 AM

There has been LOTS of discussion on this matter already... search the iMac forum for "DVD" to read all about it.

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jan 13, 2000, 12:11 AM

But just incase you don't fancy rummaging about for ages finding the old threads..It's a very well known problem that just about everyone with a DVD iMac has, So I'll re-cap.. Make sure you have the latest Apple DVD software as there have been some recent updates. However.. Even these still do not completely fix the problem. It's a case of "Like it, Or lump it" i'm afraid.

MS
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2000, 11:32 AM

Misha or iPaul,
I was trying to find an update on the Apple web site. Has there been one issued for the Apple DVD Player on the imac?

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2000, 12:13 PM

While Apple has posted DVD Player 2.0 for the new iMacs, it does not fix the audio-sync issue, just a couple other bugs that the DVD Player that shipped with the new iMacs had.
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11558

The audi sync issue reportedly won't be fixed until Mac OS 9.0.1 comes out, which is expected next month. As far as Mac OS 8.6 users go, I'm not sure a fix will ever be available w/o upgrading to OS 9.

omarv
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2000, 12:41 PM

In addition to the DVD player Update, there is an audio Update, and a DVD Player ROM update. After applying these updates I rarely even notice the lip-synch issue. I Don't have the links but you can probably find the updates in the recent releases at Apple's support page.

Kwkemrt
Jan 18, 2000, 10:05 PM

I can also say that on my iMac DV after I applied all three of the updates, I no longer notice any audio lip-synch problems. I think they all progressively got rid of the problem.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2000, 10:17 PM

Same goes for me, DVD rom , DVD Player, all the updates I could get me hands one and then the sync problem just disapeared with my final update, Quicktime 4.0.1.
weather or not this is thesame case with others, I Don't know. But I tried to reak havic to make it loose sync aftwards and it wouldn't. Although of course the video screen strangely pauses when you have a whole bunch of apps open and a Netscape Window up front. but then it pixels it's way back in when the DVD viewer window is up front.

Savvy
Jan 19, 2000, 02:35 AM

Hmm. I have QuickTime 4.0.3 according to the QuickTime Control Panel, and I still have audio sync up problems. I wonder if there is something else you changed that helped perhaps?

burp
Jan 20, 2000, 12:26 AM

There's also the new QuickTime 4.1 update. Install that, and I'm pretty sure it will be fixed. I still only have OS 8.6, so I haven't been able to install Mac OS 9 Audio Fix (naturally), but with the DVD Player update, DVD ROM update and QuickTime 4.1, I never notice the lip synch problems, except with The Matrix. But The Matrix ain't that good anyway, so I'm happy .

-burp

apple-fan
Jan 20, 2000, 02:11 AM

I am getting my iMac DV SE, in a week. After reading all the posts people have been talking about.. It makes me scared. I hope that they have fixed all that stuff with the newer ones.

------------------
Mac Worms!

burp
Jan 20, 2000, 09:50 PM

Ah, don't sweat about it. Your new iMac is likely to have all tehse fixes installed, and therefore work perfectly . And even if not, it's not such a terrible deal...You get used to the pausing/playing routine after a while (I only wish I could afford the Media Remote Control so I wouldn't have to drag the keyboard all over the room...).

On another note, I see that you mention Worms Armageddon coming to the Mac? Is that true? I thought they weren't porting it, but I'm very glad they are...I'm still playing the original Worms...It is one fab game . I hope the entertainment value didn't drop with the ncier graphics, though...I kind of like those little pixelated buggers; it leaves a lot to the imagination =).

-burp

apple-fan
Jan 21, 2000, 02:47 PM

Burp, Yes its true, worms armageddon will be coming to the mac platform first quarter this year. And if you like the original worms you will love Worms Armageddon. I talk with the Webmaster of the official worms site, and it looks as though Ive gotton the first Macintosh related worms site. Ill have all kinds of additions for the game when it comes out. And dont worry, they did a great job of keeping the replay value of the game to a all time high, even with all the new graphics. Youll love it!

------------------
Mac Worms!

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2000, 04:11 AM

I've been hearing a lot about the spread of DeCSS after the dvd encoding was reverse engineered. A dvd driver has been made for windows and linux, i wonder if it would be possible to make one for macs also?

Also u wouldn't have to worry about region codes and all dvd's would work on your comp. The source code seems pretty short and simple once u look at it. Although i'm sure it's more involved than that. Does anyone know if a port of this is in the works and if it would possibly do anything to help the sync issue?

Just a thought, i'll shut up now.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

Simon Wright
Feb 3, 2000, 09:46 AM

The reason DeCSS is so simple is because it is only the decryption of the DVD data. It requires much more work to decode the MPEG2 video/audio stream, but I think one Mac programmer has a DVD player already working, which will do everything but play encrypted discs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules