Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > need a pcmcia ethernet adaptor

need a pcmcia ethernet adaptor
ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 04:39 PM

Im trying to find one that supports os x. does anyone have any experiece with one they know works? or any they have heard work? thanx in advance for any help!!!
ryan

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 07:35 AM

Hi,

Since all Apple laptops have had built-in ethernet for many years, there wouldnt be much of a market for PCMCIA ethernet adapters with OS X drivers.

If you post what model laptop you have, and what you are trying to accomplish (e.g. dealing with broken built in ethernet, needing 2 ethernet adapters for 2 different connections, etc.) perhaps there is another solution.

rjt1000

ryanhugh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by rjt1000
Hi,

Since all Apple laptops have had built-in ethernet for many years, there wouldnt be much of a market for PCMCIA ethernet adapters with OS X drivers.

If you post what model laptop you have, and what you are trying to accomplish (e.g. dealing with broken built in ethernet, needing 2 ethernet adapters for 2 different connections, etc.) perhaps there is another solution.

rjt1000
hey, thanx for the response! It's a 15" powerbook with a broken ethernet adaptor. I can connect to the internet with airport, but I still need an ethernet port. any help would be appreciated!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2006, 08:31 AM

Let's start by putting this in the right forum. It isn't about a PowerBook, it's about an ethernet PC card that has OS X drivers. I'm sure you'll get more help in the Networking forum...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 09:04 AM

I dont think you will find an ethernet PCMCIA card for OS X.

If you absolutely need ethernet, you may need to go for the repair.

How would you use the ethernet port? mabye there is another solution. e.g. if its for connecting a printer, maybe you could use a USB connection instead. Or add a router with wired ethernet ports to your wireless network?

rjt1000

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 10:03 AM

a quick search turned up this 10/100 pmcia ethernet card, and I can't believe it's only $15

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/D%2DLink/DFE690TXD/

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 24, 2006, 01:15 PM

amazing: Looks like a good find at a good price !

One note, the drivers specify OS 10.2 - 10.3

ryanhugh: If you get it, why dont you post back how it works out for you, and if it works with OS 10.4

Enjoy,

rjt1000

ryanhugh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 11:58 PM

you guys are awesome....thanx so much for all the help! I'll post back with results asap.
thanx again.

finboy
Jun 26, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ryanhugh
you guys are awesome....thanx so much for all the help! I'll post back with results asap.
thanx again.
If the 10.2 103 thing is worrisome, contact OWC and they'll tell you if it's compatible with Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules