Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Paris fan shot dead by policeman

Paris fan shot dead by policeman
marden
Baninated
Nov 24, 2006, 09:35 AM

I can't wait to see what kind of lame excuses are used to defend the cop! They'll say he was trying to fend off a huge mob and save his and another guy's life. Pffft!

This is at a McDonalds! Apparently he was just lamenting his team's poor performance and the cop went berserk! What happened to grabbing the guy and carrying his ass outta there? Now they gotta kill innocent French sports fans!

Paris fan shot dead by policeman

Paris Saint Germain fans have a reputation for fighting

A French football fan has been shot dead by a plain-clothed police officer after a European football match.

The officer reportedly fired tear gas, then live ammunition in an effort to disperse a fighting crowd near Paris' Parc des Princes football stadium.

The group of 150 Paris Saint Germain supporters were surrounding a fan of the Israeli team Hapoel Tel Aviv, who had beaten PSG 4-2 in the Uefa Cup.

An investigation has been launched into the shooting, police said.

Paris Saint Germain fans have a reputation for violent incidents, with the club disciplined over their behaviour several times in the past.

Cornered

The skirmish broke out by the Parc des Princes in the aftermath of PSG's defeat.

The police officer, who has not been identified, threw tear gas to break up a group of Paris fans surrounding the Israeli.

The officer was then chased towards a McDonald's restaurant nearby, holding the crowd at bay with his firearm before firing at least two shots, reports said.

Police union official Luc Poignant told the AFP news agency that the officer "had no choice but to defend himself and protect another person".

There was an atmosphere of high tension among Paris fans immediately after the game, which continued a poor run of form for the team.

AFP quoted witnesses describing a climate of "extreme confusion" in the streets.

Police reinforcements were sent to the area in an effort to calm the violence in the moments after the Paris fan was shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6179418.stm

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 09:51 AM

Haha, Marden is a Nazi-Apologizer!

FYI: 150 french Neo-Nazis were after an Israeli football fan AND the "african-french" policeman!

Some people call that self-defense!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 09:59 AM

Its funny your quote is stating the police officer was chased and being cornered and you seem to indicate that the officeer was not justified. Usually in the states when an officer's life is in danger they are allowed to use their guns. Different states differ on when exactly but overall is when he's in danger he's justified and from the article you quoted states the same thing. I don't they need lame execuse
Michael

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Its funny your quote is stating the police officer was chased and being cornered and you seem to indicate that the officeer was not justified. Usually in the states when an officer's life is in danger they are allowed to use their guns. Different states differ on when exactly but overall is when he's in danger he's justified and from the article you quoted states the same thing. I don't they need lame execuse
I suspect marden is being sarcastic when saying "I can't wait to see what kind of lame excuses are used to defend the cop!". Obviously, he's not aware that this situation is slightly different from the other situations where cops have been accused of abusing their power. In this case, the officer had a legitimate reason to believe his life and that of the other man's were in danger.

Of interest: I wonder if this story would have even made it to Abe's radar if the man being defended by the officer wasn't an Israeli ...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2006, 10:09 AM

Marden is a troll. He simply picks the position that incites the most emotional responses. Don't fall for that.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I suspect marden is being sarcastic...
You are joking, right?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2006, 10:11 AM

Only in Am....oh, wait.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Marden is a troll. He simply picks the position that incites the most emotional responses. Don't fall for that.
Maybe he get a bonus for igniting really long threads

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2006, 10:21 AM

I thought this was going to be about Paris Hilton, with regards to her vomit incident.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Maybe he get a bonus for igniting really long threads
I almost read "boner" there!

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I almost read "boner" there!
That would probably be closer to the truth.

"Learn to swim"

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I thought this was going to be about Paris Hilton, with regards to her vomit incident.
Me too. Ffft. It's about kickball. Nothing to see here, move along.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules