Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web Gallery Movie Upload WITHOUT iMovie '08??

Web Gallery Movie Upload WITHOUT iMovie '08??
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 09:43 AM

Anyone have any ideas how to uplaod movies to the web gallery with different movie sizes WITHOUT using iMovie 08, I can't since I have a G4.
Anyone??

Edit - I know iPhoto can upload movies, but they don't give you the size option....

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 01:52 PM

Apple's solution: buy a new Mac.

Real solution: No clue. I haven't come across another iLife app that'll do it. I suspect that eventually, someone will write a small freeware/shareware app to do it.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 05:43 PM

Would it be that HARD for Apple to add it into iMovie HD 6??? I mean, they released it free, why not give it that ability. I am sending my suggestion about this to them, and I suggest anyone else who has this problem, do the same:
iMovie Feedback

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 05:54 PM

The best I can think of is this: Use someone else's iPhoto 08 to create the web gallery with your .Mac account. Just upload a single picture or something. You'd have to turn on your .Mac and then turn it off from their computer when you're done. From then on, you could manage the web gallery without iPhoto - upload directly via the web or via email.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 09:05 PM

That still doesn't do what I want, I want to be able to over the different sizes of videos. I can upload movies via iPhoto, but that is not what I want, I want to be able to choose the sizes.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 10:37 PM

Yes you can do it because the gallery files are stored in the iDisk. But because you're being awfully whiny I'm not going to give you the details. Ta.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 12:41 AM

If the application doesn't provide this functionality, take matters into your own hands and export the movie file and upload it yourself via WebDAV/SFTP/AFP/whatever is provided by .Mac.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 08:50 AM

Wow, didn't realize I was being whiny, let alone awfully whiny. I just think that if Apple is going to provide a new service, especially to .Mac members (which I have been one since it was called iTools) that they update iMovie HD 6 to allow for this.

I understand why I haven't been to these forums in a while, as responses like that kept me away. I guess I will try other ways to find this out. BRussell, if I sounded whiny to you and bothered your ears, I am sorry. I am not apologizing for you to give me the details either, I would rather get them from someone who would say "I understand your frustration, here is how you do it...."

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If the application doesn't provide this functionality, take matters into your own hands and export the movie file and upload it yourself via WebDAV/SFTP/AFP/whatever is provided by .Mac.
I would LOVE to do this, but this still won't give me the functionality I want. The ability to have a choice of different movie sizes, yes I can upload different sizes, but then I am sure I would have 3 different movies to choose from, not the nice Gallery look of one movie with the size choices below, like the way Gallery should work.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by zeebe View Post
I would LOVE to do this, but this still won't give me the functionality I want. The ability to have a choice of different movie sizes, yes I can upload different sizes, but then I am sure I would have 3 different movies to choose from, not the nice Gallery look of one movie with the size choices below, like the way Gallery should work.
Do you know of any site that does feature these movies that were created by iMovie 08? If so, you could download them and examine their bitrates and format so that you can figure out how they were encoded. Once you have, you can establish your own presets for small, medium, and large videos, no?

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 09:23 AM

OK, I understand that I can do that, but how do I make the movie 1 movie, and not 3 with one for small, medium and large?? I have uploaded via the web and that didn't give me any options. I am not sure you understand what I am asking.
Go here:
http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker#100443
This shows you an example of a movie on Web Gallery that was made with iMovie '08, in fact, it might be the movie Steve made at the show. See the options under the movie? That is what I want to be able to achieve.
I will look into your idea and see if it works, thanks.

EDIT***
OK, I have just finished adding a movie to my Gallery like BRussel suggested above, I added a photo, then uploaded a movie via the web, you can see it here:
http://gallery.mac.com/rziebol#10001...or=black&sel=0
If you click on the movie, it does not give me the options, in fact, I haven't got the movie to play yet. I think that is because it is in a Photo Album, not a Movie Section like this:
http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker#
Here the Gallery shows movies separate from photos, but not like mine.
This is just to show you how I would like to see my Gallery without purchasing a new computer.
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

EDIT 2***
OK, I actually got the movie to play, but no size options.....
( Last edited by zeebe; Aug 13, 2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added link to my gallery with explanation)

Forum Links
Forum Rules