Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Best Long Range Router

Best Long Range Router
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2007, 05:07 PM

I am looking at purchasing a new router.
I want it too be able to stretch 150+ feet but at the same time I do not want to sacrifice a ton of speed.

These are a few I am looking at:

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

D-Link - Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N Home Router

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400 and Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX

Top Global 3G Phoebus MB6000 EVDO router
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 06:20 PM

Take the d-link or the linksys that support removable antennas and upgrade them to the best antenna you can find. Either directional if you'll always be on the same side, or high-gain omni if you'll be all around.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2007, 10:25 AM

Nice thought but I tried that once and it didnt work to well.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2007, 11:47 AM

Why not? Is there something about your location that made things difficult? Reinforced concrete walls? Walls full of wiring and pipes? What was it that made using a router with high-gain or directional antennas not "work to well"?

Also, many Linksys routers, especially the WRT54G models, support both external antennas and third party firmware-that allows you to increase the router's transmitter power output. In combination with a great big high-gain antenna, an increase in transmit power can help increase your range immensely.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Also, many Linksys routers, especially the WRT54G models, support both external antennas
Unfortunately the latest versio, rev 8, does not, and most retailers are stocking it. Also, it looks like the OP wants n not g.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2007, 10:31 PM

Yeah, Linksys gets kind of weird with versions on the WRT54G series. It's a shame because the un-crippled models really shine. I didn't really think out the N issue; I reacted to the "didn't work too well" comment, which led me to the WRT. Gotta try to stay on ONE topic while I'm posting, I guess. I get distracted kind of easily sometimes.

dj_frankle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 12:48 PM

I have a Netgear WNR854T which is comparable to any of the above. Range is very good but I haven't really tested it. My only issue is that about once a week I need to reset it as it drops wireless. I am talking with Netgear about it at the moment so hopefully it will be resolved soon. Other than that it is an awesome performer.
My Macs: MacBook White C2D, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 120GB 7200rpm HDD
PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz, 1.25GB, 80GB 7200rpm HDD (i bought it but the misses owns it!)
... waiting for new Mac Mini ... want 2.4GHz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm HDD ...

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Why not? Is there something about your location that made things difficult? Reinforced concrete walls? Walls full of wiring and pipes? What was it that made using a router with high-gain or directional antennas not "work to well"?

Also, many Linksys routers, especially the WRT54G models, support both external antennas and third party firmware-that allows you to increase the router's transmitter power output. In combination with a great big high-gain antenna, an increase in transmit power can help increase your range immensely.
Concrete walls.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2007, 05:09 PM

Actually poured concrete with rebar and everything, or concrete block? It makes a huge difference-the poured walls are a really big impediment to radio signals, while block walls are only a slight problem. Block walls are effectively similar to walls with a lot of plumbing in them, making them less radio-transparent, but not a whole lot. Poured concrete, on the other hand, is much denser and the reinforcing steel is also much closer together, making such walls very hard to get signals through.

Forum Links
Forum Rules