Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > After using the iPad for a month...

View Poll Results: iPad usage
Poll Options:
I use it for 80% or more of tasks in my home, it's fantastic. 29 votes (87.88%)
I use it less now, but still see it as a fantastic product and well worth the money. 2 votes (6.06%)
I still use it quite a lot, it's good, but the novelty does wear off a little. 2 votes (6.06%)
I have little usage for the iPad but I do not regret my purchase (state reasons in thread please) 0 votes (0%)
I have little usage for the iPad and I regret my purchase (state reasons in thread please) 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
After using the iPad for a month...
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2010, 07:25 PM

Hi people,

Looks like it's pre-order day on Monday for me and no doubt other users... or is it?

After sinking quite a lot of money into headphones and an amp, I'm contemplating the need for an iPad rather than the need for Apple's newest gadget.

Reports back following a few days usage were that the iPad was finding itself in the hands of average consumers for 80-90% of their computer usage. What I'd like to know (as I'm sure others would in my position) is whether this is still the case today or was it merely a novelty factor that has worn off more recently?

That said, I can see myself using Apple's iPad for lesson plans, presentations, book reading, email and films... but I want to know that it has its place in a home, rather than that novelty futuristic product that everyone is talking about that really has no primary usage after a month or so unless it's for book reading.

Thoughts are much appreciated.
( Last edited by kenna; May 4, 2010 at 07:33 PM. )
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2010, 12:33 AM

I don't have first hand experience with an iPad..yet, but i have some opinions of a fiend of mine who has had one for a few weeks....
1. It feels heavier than it should apparently
2. It looks beautiful
3. it feels like it could slip out of your hands very easily (very smooth and straight lines along the device).
4. It does what it does very very well.

All that being said.... he has already ordered a second one, cause other members of the household have claimed the first one. That, imo is a great testament to the devices simplicity that a non-techie would not want to give it up after using it.

A couple of my concerns:
-My camera's screen does not get finger prints, i think its the glass/coat on top. I think Apple desperately needs to have something similar on it's touch devices.
-I think they probably should address the weight, cause that could be an issue given the way this device needs to be held
-webcam with iChatAV over WiFi at the very least (this is the only missing feature imho)

After getting burned on my MacBook purchase(no firewire), i might just wait for iPad 2.0, or until Christmas this year to get one

Cheers

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 5, 2010, 11:44 AM

I've had my iPad for about 5 days now and its an incredibly slick, fun device--but the novelty is already starting to wear off a little. There is a clear redundancy between my MBP and iPad. It starts in the moring. I get up and check for app updates for my iPhone and now my iPad. I'm already seated in front of my MBP to do this obviously -- so I end up simply checking the weather and news quickly there.

I now have internet access at home on my MBP, on my iPhone, on my work PC--and now on my iPad. Can you say overkill?

One thing I'll say about the iPad is that its more fun to watch recent TV episodes on it than the MBP at home. It's less awkard to postion, lighter of course and doesn't heat up my legs like an oven thereby threatening future generations of Zeebs. This only applies to recent online episodes of shows I've missed. I'd rather use my netflix account on my 40 inch TV for everything else. Also, not every network is iPad compatible or has an app--so back to the laptop for that content.

Down time for travelling is where the iPad really shines. MUCH easier to carry, get through security, and manage than a laptop. Long bus trips are no problem with this device.

Simple games will be more fun on the iPad. I say "will be" because there aren't a lot of games yet designed specifically for the iPad but I'm sure they are coming.

I'll probably never read a book on the iPad. Like a computer, the screen is suitable for only limited reading of a short duration--not in depth hours at a time reading. Your eyes will bug out. I'll be using paper books still.

Magazines are actually more expensive to get on the iPad than in newstands--Not. What a joke.

It's more fun to surf the web on the iPad while in bed and the novelty of that hasn't worn off for me yet. The battery life is stellar and I know everyone raves about it. However, the new crop of MBP's last just as long.

Anyway, I'm still deciding whether I'm going to keep it--I probably will. Perhaps what I'll do is simply get an iMac as my next home computer rather than a laptop and use the iPad as my portable.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2010, 12:40 PM

I've had mine for a few weeks, and I feel I'm actually finding more and more ways to use it as time goes on. I should preface this by saying I've never owned a laptop so this is a new sort of experience for me, and I don't have the problem of redundancy with the iPad and a laptop.

When I first got it I was in awe of just about everything, and was using it to tickle my pickle (metaphorically), using novelty apps to just have fun. As time went on I started using it for more "serious" things such as watching movies/TV, using it to browse my daily blogs etc, emailing, general web browsing, sketching, etc etc. Nothing too productive yet, but I think that will come when I get more comfortable with it and more apps are released.

Its starting to replace a lot of the tasks I had been doing with my iPhone, especially while I'm at work (where our network is horribly restricted, so using 3G to access the internets is easier and more open). I actually had bought the wifi iPad on day 1, but then gave it to my Dad who really wanted one but couldn't find any in stock. I then got a 3G iPad so I'm all set there.

So to answer the question, I feel like I use my iPad more now than I did in the beginning. I'm sure that will wane eventually, but I'm still in love.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2010, 01:51 PM

The only thing I use my MBP for now is occasional web development and video chat. The iPad is now my default computer at home, and makes up about 90-95% of my computer use.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 5, 2010, 02:18 PM

My wife co-opted mine, so I rarely see it. I now have a 32gb 3G reserved for her for Mother's Day. She will get more use out of the 3G as she just expects things to work without caveat; I'll just be happy to get my iPad back.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2010, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the comments so far, very interesting. I like that some people are really seeing the true potential of the iPad from the get go, albeit not everyone.

I can see that, like the iPhone started out or like any new computer console, apps/games take time to be established.

But, I'd like to see more detailed impressions coming, the only worrying part of feedback so far is that people are expecting (with their assumptions) that the iPad 'novelty' may/will ware off - such as the novelty of using the web.

The main reason that I would like one is for lying down whilst computing as well as apps and films on a much larger display.

Anyways, keep them coming!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Andrew88088
May 5, 2010, 07:38 PM

The novelty has basically worn off for me. I really, really like it and it's fun to use, but I find myself using it less and less as time goes on. I think it's just because I'm always bouncing around between chat, email, surfing, music, school work... it's just easier to use my MacBook. Not to mention I type way faster on the MB.
I do love lying on the couch or in bed with it, since it's much less awkward than having the laptop lying on top or to the side of me.
I guess overall, I thought that I would be using it more. I find myself thinking "I could've done this twice as fast if I just used my MB"

I'm actually thinking of selling mine and trying to recoup most of my money. I'd rather use the money toward the new iPhone this summer.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2010, 02:17 PM

Had one since launch. It's taken over my laptop, unless I need to type a lot. At that point I use it with my laptop, and it becomes sort of a "Safari sidecar", which I can use without having to block what I'm typing.

-Q-
May 6, 2010, 02:26 PM

It's pretty much replaced my laptop around the house and for 50-60% of my needs on the road. When Keynote gets some much-needed improvements in regards to presentation import and custom font usage, it'll probably replace my laptop needs on the road completely.

My wife is certainly jonesing for one. If my office hadn't gotten me one for testing I'm sure she would have claimed it by now.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
The novelty has basically worn off for me. I really, really like it and it's fun to use, but I find myself using it less and less as time goes on. I think it's just because I'm always bouncing around between chat, email, surfing, music, school work... it's just easier to use my MacBook. Not to mention I type way faster on the MB.
I do love lying on the couch or in bed with it, since it's much less awkward than having the laptop lying on top or to the side of me.
I guess overall, I thought that I would be using it more. I find myself thinking "I could've done this twice as fast if I just used my MB"

I'm actually thinking of selling mine and trying to recoup most of my money. I'd rather use the money toward the new iPhone this summer.
The first bolded text is the main reason I would like the device.

The second bolded text is my biggest fear... although I don't expect nor want it to completely rid my needs of my MacBook which I also love and spent a lot of money on (as we all have).

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Had one since launch. It's taken over my laptop, unless I need to type a lot. At that point I use it with my laptop, and it becomes sort of a "Safari sidecar", which I can use without having to block what I'm typing.
Safari Sidecar gives it a completely new use! I love that idea...

Does anyone know if you can use the iPad simply as a monitor? That would be superb to hook up with the MacBook and dual screen it.

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
It's pretty much replaced my laptop around the house and for 50-60% of my needs on the road. When Keynote gets some much-needed improvements in regards to presentation import and custom font usage, it'll probably replace my laptop needs on the road completely.

My wife is certainly jonesing for one. If my office hadn't gotten me one for testing I'm sure she would have claimed it by now.
Sweet, is Keynote a far cry from the current Mac one then?

Your way would be advised to stay away in my home lol

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 6, 2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Does anyone know if you can use the iPad simply as a monitor? That would be superb to hook up with the MacBook and dual screen it.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idisp...363500805?mt=8

The reviews are ominous at best, but the idea is there... hopefully updates improve performance/reliability. I haven't tried it myself.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2010, 09:28 PM

You know, one thing which really sucks about the iPad?

The way the App Store is executed. What a pile.

The most annoying issue is that it doesn't cache. If you look at an app 26 pages into your search, when you hit the button to get back to your search, you're on page one.

The second most annoying issue? It takes about 3-5 seconds to get from one page to the next. So we're talking literally a minute's worth of tapping just to get back to where you started.

There are a bunch of "version 1.0" problems which I can work with, but the App Store is plain broken.

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 6, 2010, 09:43 PM

I feel that I should weigh in on this. First I preface my post by saying that I have sort of become a fanboy. The iPad does get the most usage out of all of my mac computers. Yes after a month it is no longer a novelty. It has become part of my daily computing. Yes the iPad has taken a majority of my computing mobile.

My iMac I use for heavy computer use and windows gaming. My MacBook pro was being used as my main computer till the iMac arrived. Then my MacBook pro was being using for mobile computing upstairs, downstairs and basically every room my iMac was not in. My iPhone did a little bit of the mobile computing, but did serve a specific need because of the many smartphone apps that are there and not on the Mac. Since the iPad, the MacBook pro is rarely even opened. I am actually putting it up for sale this weekend.

Also I live alone and truly do not have a need for as many computers as I have, but it is a hobby. I am going to try and use my iPad for at school computing as long as i can. I will consider a 17 inch mbp if it becomes a school need.

Back to the point. I know that you have probably done your research and know what the iPad is all about, but I must state the following. It is not a toy. It is not a novelty item. I think that both can be true of every piece of electronics you have as they are not a "need." To me it is a new type of computer. It does so many things that other computers struggle to do as a mobile platform. A side note is that apple is very smart, a lot of what the iPhone and iPad can and does do is tapped into by the app developers. I am not going to make this a long story, but it does tons of stuff that you would be hard pressed to get anywhere else at double the price. The interface is truly unique and useable.

I use my iPad for:
Music and podcasts room to room. Reading books, which I never ever would do under any other circumstances. Watching videos streamed from my iMac. Newspaper apps, no i never read the paper and rarely check news sites. Magazines. This one needs a bit of work. I use specific apps for specific mags, but I think that this as well as comic books need a consistent type. I get magazines from overseas on release day well before I would ever get them in the states, roughly 2 months before they see the light of day here. I play online scrabble type games with all of my friends that have iPhones. I can go on and on, but the bottom line is if you want to use it, you will. Try and look past the hype and the negative comments about a big iPod or iPhone and "think different."

To make my point, I typed this whole post while sitting in front of my tv watching fringe.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Andrew88088
May 6, 2010, 11:12 PM

Today I'm having second thoughts on selling mine. I really enjoy using it and I don't know if I can really get rid of it. I was having a late buyer's remorse, I think? Haha

NYK Ace
Senior User
May 7, 2010, 05:43 PM

I am using it as my primary computer now. For me, this really is the best web/email experience that I have ever had on a computer. No complaints and I feel it is only going to get bettter once the apps get up to speed and more network tv websites adopt HTML5.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
iDisplay for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The reviews are ominous at best, but the idea is there... hopefully updates improve performance/reliability. I haven't tried it myself.
That's a shame, hopefully it'll all come together in the end because the idea is definitely one I'd be interested in.

You know, one thing which really sucks about the iPad?

The way the App Store is executed. What a pile.

There are a bunch of "version 1.0" problems which I can work with, but the App Store is plain broken.
lol hopefully this will be fixed with version 1.1 though... shame to hear that though because it obviously really DOES suck seeing as how the AppStore is kinda built for iPod/iPhone/iPad. Pretty ridiculous.

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I use my iPad for:
Music and podcasts room to room. Reading books, which I never ever would do under any other circumstances. Watching videos streamed from my iMac. Newspaper apps, no i never read the paper and rarely check news sites. Magazines. This one needs a bit of work. I use specific apps for specific mags, but I think that this as well as comic books need a consistent type. I get magazines from overseas on release day well before I would ever get them in the states, roughly 2 months before they see the light of day here. I play online scrabble type games with all of my friends that have iPhones. I can go on and on, but the bottom line is if you want to use it, you will. Try and look past the hype and the negative comments about a big iPod or iPhone and "think different."
Thanks for such a detailed post... it seems that the iPad really has many needs. Such a beautiful machine that it is too. Really happy I made this thread as it's becoming more obvious now that I should invest in this device. As for the bolded, I feel it will do the exact same for me... for a strange reason - it appeals so much more to me.

Do you find videos from your iMac lose quality?
What's poor about the magazine apps? Do they make reading magazines much more fun?
I'd like comics such as marvels unlimited service to become available for iPad, then I might invest. Otherwise, it's just another road to a bottomless pit of money which I don't want to be spending.
I can only imagine what gaming is like on this thing...

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
Today I'm having second thoughts on selling mine. I really enjoy using it and I don't know if I can really get rid of it. I was having a late buyer's remorse, I think? Haha
Haha given the positivity of skilled computer people on here, I'd say you're right to have second thoughts. From consumers who know no better, I'd expect really positive comments regardless, but from everyone, it's truly something now I'm truly hyped for.

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
I am using it as my primary computer now. For me, this really is the best web/email experience that I have ever had on a computer. No complaints and I feel it is only going to get bettter once the apps get up to speed and more network tv websites adopt HTML5.
Yeah, these sites really need to get to work on HTML5.

What makes surfing the web, that much better?

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 8, 2010, 05:38 PM

Thanks for such a detailed post... it seems that the iPad really has many needs. Such a beautiful machine that it is too. Really happy I made this thread as it's becoming more obvious now that I should invest in this device. As for the bolded, I feel it will do the exact same for me... for a strange reason - it appeals so much more to me.

Do you find videos from your iMac lose quality?
What's poor about the magazine apps? Do they make reading magazines much more fun?
I'd like comics such as marvels unlimited service to become available for iPad, then I might invest. Otherwise, it's just another road to a bottomless pit of money which I don't want to be spending.
I can only imagine what gaming is like on this thing...
I think that the books work for me because I like to multitask and one machine that does it all helps. I love the screen, categories makes finding and buying books easy, reviews help me find ones, previews helps me not make big buying mistakes, and the ipad makes pickup read a bit and put it down easy for me.

Depends on what you mean by quality. Depending on the videos original quality, you cannot tell a big difference. I think the big reason is pixel density.

What I mean by mags is that I think that there should be one format and mostly one place that you get them. Everyone has their own application and it just gets to be a bit much with 50 million different apps. I love the marvel app, but I am hoping for a bit more variety than just marvel, though I love them.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2010, 05:05 PM

I think that the books work for me because I like to multitask and one machine that does it all helps. I love the screen, categories makes finding and buying books easy, reviews help me find ones, previews helps me not make big buying mistakes, and the ipad makes pickup read a bit and put it down easy for me.

Depends on what you mean by quality. Depending on the videos original quality, you cannot tell a big difference. I think the big reason is pixel density.

What I mean by mags is that I think that there should be one format and mostly one place that you get them. Everyone has their own application and it just gets to be a bit much with 50 million different apps. I love the marvel app, but I am hoping for a bit more variety than just marvel, though I love them.
I like your comments about the book and agree with your opinion on everything being in one place... how many pages of a book are you allowed to view?

I mean in terms of the actual picture, if I have an avi file on my computer, 700mb as they tend to be, will the picture quality be any different to that of say, my MacBook when it is streamed from my Mac to my iPad?

That's terrible on the mags, but I guess I'm not a big buyer of magazines, so two or three apps is fine by me. But an overall AppleMag app would be cool.

---

Anyone else got any impressions?

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

-Q-
May 9, 2010, 06:00 PM

I like your comments about the book and agree with your opinion on everything being in one place... how many pages of a book are you allowed to view?

I mean in terms of the actual picture, if I have an avi file on my computer, 700mb as they tend to be, will the picture quality be any different to that of say, my MacBook when it is streamed from my Mac to my iPad?
It seems most of my samples have 19 pages available, although I do have two books that have 26 pages in their preview.

And for picture quality, Air Video allows you to set the conversion bit rate (the server software converts a file if it's not a codec supported by the iPad directly) on the iPad so the picture quality is really up to you. I've found that depending on network connectivity you may have to have picture quality suffer to keep the stream up without stuttering or occasional freezes.

But I'm still loving it - was able to use Air Video to stream videos to the iPad while I was on a plane the other day. That was exceptionally cool.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 9, 2010, 06:20 PM

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2010, 08:42 PM

Interesting read... thanks for the post!

Just ordered the 64GB WiFi.

-Q- thanks for your posts, helped me

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 04:57 PM

Interesting read... thanks for the post!

Just ordered the 64GB WiFi.

-Q- thanks for your posts, helped me
congrats, let us know how you like it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2010, 01:46 PM

What makes surfing the web, that much better?
One thing is the availability.

It never really goes to sleep, so you never have to wait for it to connect to your network, have drives spin up, etc.

Portrait mode is nice too, just for seeing more of a page at once. It also makes it feel more like a page, if that mkes sense.

It makes sense that these are more hardware-y things. Safari itself is just, well... Safari. It renders fast for sure, but it also has its own issues specific to this version, like a poor multi-window interface. Tabs could help, but it doesn't have that either.
( Last edited by subego; May 14, 2010 at 02:00 PM. )

moep
Senior User
May 14, 2010, 03:48 PM

Looks like I’m alone here but I’m barely using mine anymore. The iPhone OS just feels much too crippled in comparison to OS X.
Instapaper is the only app that sees regular usage to catch up on articles in bed before I fall asleep.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 15, 2010, 08:42 PM

Sorry to hear that, my is getting more use than ever.
Its funny, I work at home, have a brand new i7 iMac 27inch, a 15 MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3GS.
Yet, my iPad gets the most use out of everything, by far.
I must thank the creator of this thread as it gives me a good chance to check in at a month and reflect.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 01:26 AM

Things Mobile Safari needs on the iPad:
Tabs
Split view (show two sites side by side in landscape, stacked in portrait)
Search the text within the page (especially for PDFs opened in safari)
Better support for downloading files

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2010, 07:57 AM

congrats, let us know how you like it.
Will do, I'll be back to this thread for sure... no doubt it'll be the first page I visit and post from when the iPad arrives, excited!

One thing is the availability.

It never really goes to sleep, so you never have to wait for it to connect to your network, have drives spin up, etc.

Portrait mode is nice too, just for seeing more of a page at once. It also makes it feel more like a page, if that mkes sense.

It makes sense that these are more hardware-y things. Safari itself is just, well... Safari. It renders fast for sure, but it also has its own issues specific to this version, like a poor multi-window interface. Tabs could help, but it doesn't have that either.
The hardware-y things sound like a true upgrade in terms of portrait, it's weird that I've never really thought about laptops and how they're in landscape and how a page is generally rendered in portrait leaving you to do a lot of scrolling, it may be one of those things that we look back on in years and think... why did they view websites in landscape? Fair enough movies, but web pages? Strange...

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Looks like I’m alone here but I’m barely using mine anymore. The iPhone OS just feels much too crippled in comparison to OS X.
Instapaper is the only app that sees regular usage to catch up on articles in bed before I fall asleep.
That's a shame, but what did you intend to use the iPad for in the first place? And do you feel you expected too much from it in the first place or that it doesn't do what it does, well enough?

Sorry to hear that, my is getting more use than ever.
Its funny, I work at home, have a brand new i7 iMac 27inch, a 15 MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3GS.
Yet, my iPad gets the most use out of everything, by far.
I must thank the creator of this thread as it gives me a good chance to check in at a month and reflect.
Nice on the 27inch iMac, talked my friend into getting one not so long back and he loves his.

I'll no doubt be doing the same

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Things Mobile Safari needs on the iPad:
Tabs
Split view (show two sites side by side in landscape, stacked in portrait)
Search the text within the page (especially for PDFs opened in safari)
Better support for downloading files
Tabs I'd agree for short term update, it seems strange to leave tabs out... although we did live at one time without tabs and if it's very fast, then opening in a new window may be an okay way until the update happens.

Not sure if the iPad ever will need split view however, can't see that being high on the needs list.

I'd agree on the searching for text though, isn't this available in the e-books? Seems strange to leave it out of websites.

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2010, 10:13 AM

Tabbed browsing is a must. The system they have in place now is very clunky. Why can't I open a page behind the one I'm currently reading? Why does ever tab have to RELOAD every damn time I go back to it? So annoying.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2010, 10:38 AM

Does the iPad still do that annoying tab reload thing? I just assumed it was lack of memory in my iPod touch and that they probably alleviated or solved the issue on more recent units at this point. It's surprising that they haven't.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2010, 10:51 AM

It does. I like to open a new page and let it load in the background... But on the iPad it just reloads ever tab every time you go to it basically rendering the entire tab system completely useless.

It's weird that the iPod Touch does it as well, because my iPhone 3GS definitely does not. It won't open a page behind the current one, but it will load it in the background and flipping between tabs does not reload them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2010, 10:58 AM

It happens every single time? Even my lowly 1G iPod touch sometimes lets me view a previously loaded tab without reloading it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2010, 11:26 AM

Okay, it,s not every time... But it seems random. It reloads pages at least 75% of the time and I can't figure out why it does it to some and not others. But I've only been using this thing heavily for 2 days. It's not actually mine, it's our "work" iPad and I decide to take it home for the weekend and see if I could get use it all weekend as my only computer.

Honestly, so far so good. While the tab thing is annoying, surfing is a dream overall. Once I locked the screen and set up the bookmark bar it became pretty tolerable. The keyboard is very workable for an advanced hunter and pecker like me. The form factor does work well for lugging about the house. It really is way more comfortable to use in bed or on your easy chair.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It happens every single time? Even my lowly 1G iPod touch sometimes lets me view a previously loaded tab without reloading it.
It does it a lot.

If you have a zippy connection, Safari renders so fast it's not as big a problem as it sounds.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2010, 02:03 PM

The iPad need multiple user logins and a forward delete key. Some arrow keys wouldn't hurt either.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Tabbed browsing is a must. The system they have in place now is very clunky. Why can't I open a page behind the one I'm currently reading? Why does ever tab have to RELOAD every damn time I go back to it? So annoying.
Atomic Web, FTW.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2010, 05:06 AM

Can somebody here compare iCab Mobile to Atomic Web? Differences? Advantages?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 17, 2010, 02:14 PM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2010, 01:58 PM

Apple really needs to let us search a webpage... both on the iPhone and the iPad.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2010, 05:12 PM

I was surprised to see that, apart from photos, the 'mom' basically just used notes? Couldn't she do that more freely on her iPhone?

He didn't really make a good point in case, even if she is enjoying it...

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2010, 06:32 AM

After using the iPad for a few days, I feel it's becoming a huge part of my life, from reading newspapers to surfing the web, YouTube to books to magazines to apps for drawing, planning, games to iWork, there's so many great things to love about it.

I took it into work on Friday and everyone started to surround me, they loved it and enjoyed flicking pages as much as anything else.

The only thing I really miss is tabbed browsing.

I'll keep posting my impressions at time goes by...

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Forum Links
Forum Rules