Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how many cars does your family own? why?

how many cars does your family own? why?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 10:45 PM

how many cars does your family have currently? would you want another? why?

we have only 2 because my wife and i need to have our own for our work as we drive alot during the day at our jobs.

what about you?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 10:50 PM

[a_b's 2004 Halloween outfit]

[/a_b's 2004 Halloween outfit]

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 10:52 PM

Seven. One for each day of the Mother****in' week!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 11:07 PM

bOt eRRorz

????T??<???Z????H?|?W??j ?$?K?_#^D"?"??T
\)?Z?Z?A??k???3?y%oVc?T??x
?#??%x??^?Ta?z??k{?? ?dd??\ q?B?d??????9
?29?a?84??}):?1Y3?
O?K�?v?%wc???f??k>??Mu5;??k?PW
?m??b?t?-?Imu??tic?yJ?????>,??
?#U? ??^O>??x??{V}~?'=????,?a?9?!???+r???Xh`??\s?????]&???K?Eo??L?0
|?L&?$
:????^2sP???{Mle^[[?1;2c?q
a?s?M*G~?? #??N?6?T?]?8Q?
R??b???6
?a f?p

"+1 +1 +1"

"Woot woot"

"well if the hardware wasn't so expensive"

m??b?t?-?Imu??tic?yJ?????

dillerX
Professional Poster
May 27, 2004, 11:28 PM

is that counting or not counting the race cars?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 27, 2004, 11:44 PM

We own two cars right now. One from me and one for my wife to drive to work.

If we have another child next year like we plan then she will probably stop working and we will sell one car.

Sometimes I wish I had a project car, but I simply don't have room right now. If we sell the camper I might get one, but we are not selling the camper anytime soon.

The cars we own are a 2000 GMC Jimmy and a 2003 Chevrolet Venture. I really enjoy both cars. They are exactly what we need right now.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2004, 11:51 PM

Zero.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 11:58 PM

Two.

'cause there's two of us.

Simple enough.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Two.

'cause there's two of us.

Simple enough.
Ditto.

Funny I thought that person who bragged a lot woulda posted here already...

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2004, 12:33 AM

Four:

My '02 Mini Cooper
My wife's Mercedes 560SL
Our '03 F-250
Our '01 Highlander
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 02:04 AM

The bank owns a quarter of one.
I, ASIMO.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 02:08 AM

six cars for four people.

one for mom (94 ford anger pickup), one for dad (2001 neon), one for sister (95 neon), one for me (94 saturn), my old civic was sitting in the driveway for two years before i got it running again and sold it for $350, and a 87 chevy G-20 conversion (though not really anymore) to do the heavy lifting.

yeah, it is a little excessive, but the only real drivers are myself and my father (mom and dad carpool to work on the cornell campus.)

and we're giving the chevy away after this weekend, so we'll be down to 4.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2004, 02:58 AM

I'm not sure... depends on what you count as "family"... so far I'm at 12 cars...

agentz
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 04:57 AM

Two. One for me and one for my partner.

We work in opposite directions and neither of our places of work are that easy to get to at the moment using public transport. I need my car during the day for work to go to site visits and meetings and whatnot.

At weekends its almost a certainty that one of our cars won't turn a wheel at all, and it is me who does all the weekend driving as I get travel sick sitting in the passenger seat of most cars.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 06:37 AM

VW Golf GTI Mk3 - Mine

Mercedes C180 '03 - My Mothers
Toyota MR2 Roaster '02 - Was my Fathers, now my Mothers now my Dad isn't with us anymore)

Renaultsport Clio 172 '02 - My Brother-in-Laws (Was mine, now his!)

Renault Clio Alize '01 - My Sisters

That's all. Small family

gaymecube68
Banned
May 28, 2004, 08:32 AM

1. The SVX.

I used to own 3 cars though.

- Rob

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 02:08 PM

Just the one.
Why? Because we live in London. Driving to work is not a sane option (congestion charge, finding somewhere to park), having one car taxed and insured around here is expensive enough, and public transport is actually not all that bad.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
is that counting or not counting the race cars?
Racist.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 02:36 PM

Two: I drive a Nissan Titan and my wife drives an Infiniti G35. Why? We both work and run around town on different schedules.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
...and my wife drives an Infiniti G35.
Not to throw this incredibly insightful thread off; however, how is the G35? I'm interested as I've heard pretty positive things about that car...

Thanks.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:17 PM

i own 4,637 cars. one for each day of the week.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 03:24 PM

This car looks promissing: 2004 Pontiac GTO (350 bhp)

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/gallery.j...=models_prices

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Not to throw this incredibly insightful thread off; however, how is the G35? I'm interested as I've heard pretty positive things about that car...

Thanks.
Pure sweetness. The G35 lives up to every bit of the hype it's received and the *only* complaints I have with it (we have the base sedan model, no leather) are that the headlights don't automatically come on for you, both seats aren't power adjustable, and if you're 6'4" like me, it can seem crapmed � but my wife is only 5'5" or so, so it's fine.

All in all, next my Titan, it's one of the best vehicle purchases we've ever made.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 03:36 PM

Well I suppose my gf isn't technically my family, but we each have a car. They're a necessity around here.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Pure sweetness. The G35 lives up to every bit of the hype it's received and the *only* complaints I have with it (we have the base sedan model, no leather) are that the headlights don't automatically come on for you, both seats aren't power adjustable, and if you're 6'4" like me, it can seem crapmed � but my wife is only 5'5" or so, so it's fine.

All in all, next my Titan, it's one of the best vehicle purchases we've ever made.

Maury
Thanks Maury! Yeah, I can't afford the *loaded* one at all, but I could probably swing the base model...I'll need to go take a closer look in person and play the #'s game...

awcopus
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 05:35 PM

LOVE not having to own a car, and so far haven't owned one. I rent when I travel on business or when my lady and I get away from it all, but otherwhise I am within walking distance of amazing food, movie theaters, shopping, and a quick subway ride in any direction brings me still more variety. NYC is beautiful that way. Yes, it's true. I love NY.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Thanks.
I took a test drive in the G35 last year. Loved the car. Handles well and good acceleration for the price. If it weren't for the negatives (all personal preferences), I might have got one.

The negatives (again for me...)

- Small back seat. Even my 2 kids had a hard time sqeezing in there.
- No convertible.
- They didn't have discounts on them. (Being a newer car that was so popular)

It's a great car. You should take one for a test drive gorickey. I think you'll be surprised.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 06:09 PM

1 personal and 1 company car

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 07:22 PM

WB ankle_brains, our favorite thread started

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2004, 09:14 PM

`99 M3 (fun car)
`89 Accord (work car)
`71 Bronco (toy)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Silencer
Forum Regular
May 29, 2004, 02:27 AM

2 at the moment until I get mine which will make 3.

2 Toyotas and 1 Audi

euchomai
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 02:40 AM

We bought a little sports car, two months later found out the wife was pregnant. We are stuck with a car that is TOO SMALL. Upside down for the time being though, so we all cram in the car and hope I get rich soon and buy a brand new GIGANTIC SUV!

gaymecube68
Banned
May 29, 2004, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by euchomai:
so we all cram in the car and hope I get rich soon and buy a brand new GIGANTIC SUV!
I hope you die.

- Rob

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 09:10 AM

8 for three drivers, well three of them are antiques and rarely get driven more then once a month, we have a rabbit with a cylinder with no compression in one cylinder my 87 volvo my moms 89 190E 2.6 Merc, my sisters 95 Sabb that we just got back cause she moved out, and the '00 Barvada that is on its way out for something that is more built for towing. The SUV gets driven about once a week now that we have the sabb back.

I want to drop a 2.0L into the rabbit and start using that but that is going to take some time.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kilbey
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by gaymecube68:
I hope you die.

- Rob
Does everyone else seem a little bothered by this?

Recently I was called a fanatic and someone questioned whether or not I was going to fly a plane into a building soon because of my religious views. I responded with the fact that I am against ALL killing and my religious views make me completely non-violent.

But his is fanaticism at it greatest. It's simply his opinion that he doesn't like SUVs. He has no religious views on this, he just hates them. For this he wants this other man dead?!?! Does no one else question this? Is this acceptable behavior in our society today? To want someone dead because then want a large vehicle? I may have to separate myself from this "society" more and more if this is the case.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 09:36 AM

I hope you die.

- Rob
Why hasn't your entire state been banned because of you?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:

Recently I was called a fanatic and someone questioned whether or not I was going to fly a plane into a building soon because of my religious views. I responded with the fact that I am against ALL killing and my religious views make me completely non-violent.

But his is fanaticism at it greatest. It's simply his opinion that he doesn't like SUVs. He has no religious views on this, he just hates them. For this he wants this other man dead?!?! Does no one else question this? Is this acceptable behavior in our society today? To want someone dead because then want a large vehicle? I may have to separate myself from this "society" more and more if this is the case.
Yeah, that was a stupid comment for him to make. When i posted my ongoing vehicle selection process at my site, I had all kinds of treehuggers emailing me "thanking me" for "helping to kill the world we live in."

Even though I use my truck to haul all manner of things for me, my Dad and my sister � even though I legitimately *need* a truck 4 to 5 days a week, some of the nutjobs said I ought to buy a little four banger and rent a truck when I need it.

Maybe it's the Southern Texan in me, but I almost soiled myself laughing at those people. I often wonder what color the sky is in their world...

Maury

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 11:28 AM

We have three... My mom is currently stuck with a 02 Mercury Sable (Last car she would ever own, but her mom gave it to her)

and I have two, I have my daily driver, a 92 Toyota Corolla and I have my rig/toy/money pit, My 89 Jeep Wrangler, that is lifted and has big tires and takes me off road up into the mountains to see cool stuff and get stuck... I love it.

it is my hobby at the moment, I have an engine swap and an axle swap and a whole slew of other stuff planned for it... I plan on running at least 35 inch tires, probably bigger..

P.D.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 11:51 AM

He has no religious views on this, he just hates them. For this he wants this other man dead?!?! Does no one else question this? Is this acceptable behavior in our society today? To want someone dead because then want a large vehicle? I may have to separate myself from this "society" more and more if this is the case.
But Kilbey, we know that Ca$hy is a big pansy who craps out at the first sign of anyone actually offering resistance to his going "kill mode" on them. So don't worry about it.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
But Kilbey, we know that Ca$hy is a big pansy who craps out at the first sign of anyone actually offering resistance to his going "kill mode" on them. So don't worry about it.
True.

I just expected a little profanity and name calling before that.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 11:59 AM

I own one car.

My Dad and mom usually owned two cars as far as I can remember.

He has a Chrysler Concorde. And a Porsche 928.

The latter I believe he wants to get rid of.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
He has a Chrysler Concorde. And a Porsche 928.

The latter I believe he wants to get rid of.
1) Go visit.
2) Slap dad for being stupid.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:05 PM

1) Go visit.

Oh, I've driven it many times. It sucks though because it's a ATX.

2) Slap dad for being stupid.
It's a 88 model. Things are going wrong. It costs tons to fix those things.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster

It bothers me, and I'm sure it bothers others to see someone take a moment in time and type such a hate-filled thought. It's deplorable, just like the person who wrote it.

euchomai
Mac Elite

I hope you die.

- Rob
[euch's wife]This is euchomai's wife, thanks to you my husband is now dead. I hate you for killing the love of my life, your words wounded him so! How can I go on? [/euch's wife]

Cash, wow... I've never been singled out by you, a real internet legend, I feel so lucky!

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:06 PM

He is just being a drama starter. Just look past it.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
[euch's wife]This is euchomai's wife, thanks to you my husband is now dead. I hate you for killing the love of my life, your words wounded him so! How can I go on? [/euch's wife]

Cash, wow... I've never been singled out by you, a real internet legend, I feel so lucky!
Take it from me.

It's the beginning of a beautiful thing.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
It's a 88 model. Things are going wrong. It costs tons to fix those things.
So it's an S4 then? I'd be way upset having to get rid of one of those. Sweet things.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 12:13 PM

We just have one car. I don't drive, use public transportation.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Zimphire
Baninated
May 29, 2004, 12:17 PM

So it's an S4 then? I'd be way upset having to get rid of one of those. Sweet things.

Great condition. Just small things needing replaced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules