Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod in my car

iPod in my car
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 11:18 PM

I've been using casette-iPod devices for the past 2 or 3 years with my iPods and every one I've ever bought lasts no longer than a few months. After that few months, the sound starts cutting out in my car speakers (Pontiac Grand Am '02). When I shift the wire in different directions, it plays through certain speakers and after a few days of this, it gets very hard to shift the wire just right so it's playing through all of the speakers. It really is hell! Can anyone explain to me, why this is happening?

I'm really tired of contiously buying these casette tapes. I got frustrated enough today that I ripped the wire right from the [input] plug. Is it possible to go another route, using my iPod in my car? I'd rather not use the portable FM devices because I hear the sound isn't CD quality. I heard somebody mention using RCA cables with their iPod, overlooking the tape deck entirely. What are my options?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 11:49 PM

I got a GrandAm too (04). There's no hookup for RCAs unless you can find a CD-changer adapter somewhere (I don't have a changer jack). I bought the MonsterCable car charger that has the headphone jack in the dock connector piece. I have the tape deck adapter thing connected to that, and taped securely so it won't rotate. I don't know if all tape adapters have that problem with the wire, but I know it's annoying. Not sure if it's best to buy an expensive one or to just buy new every few months.

Don't bother with wireless because the sound volume and quality won't compare to tape deck if you're in a big city.

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 11:52 PM

My personal recommendation would be to get an "hard-wire" FM Modulator, like the ones used in aftermarket CD changer installations. Go to a Car-Audio site such as www.crutchfield.com and search for FM Modulator and you'll find plenty of results. Crutchfield has a JVC modulator for only 40.

These modulators do a much better job than the portable ones since they directly connect inbetween the the radio antenna lead and the car radio itself.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I got a GrandAm too (04). There's no hookup for RCAs unless you can find a CD-changer adapter somewhere (I don't have a changer jack). I bought the MonsterCable car charger that has the headphone jack in the dock connector piece. I have the tape deck adapter thing connected to that, and taped securely so it won't rotate.
I don't understand what you just said

You bought this monster cable and then what? Would you say that your solution to using your iPod in your car is a good one? How much did it all cost to set up? Could you provide links to what you bought perhaps how you set it up?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Foxdog175:
I don't understand what you just said

You bought this monster cable and then what? Would you say that your solution to using your iPod in your car is a good one? How much did it all cost to set up? Could you provide links to what you bought perhaps how you set it up?
Think he meant this.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 08:12 AM

Just go for the iTrip. Small, simple, works great.

pagluy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 09:41 AM

for best sound (and if your CD player has input on it for a disc changer) get a RCA adapter, then go to radio shack and get a RCA to headphones jack, and you are all set.

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Think he meant this.
Isn't that just a power charger though? I'm looking to play my iPod in my car.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 03:57 PM

Dension Ice Link
Not the cheapest solution, but has to be one of the best. Just fitted it to my bug, and it works very nicely.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 05:31 PM

second for the iTrip - works great (and it's not like you're getting CD quality sound through a cassette adaptor anyway).

If you want to spend more cash - invest in a car stereo that has a mini-jack somewhere in the front (or get somebody to wire a minijack out for you)
cpac

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 07:36 AM

Isn't that just a power charger though? I'm looking to play my iPod in my car.
Yes. But it has a mini socket. Rozwado tapes his cassette adaptor securely into this, and therefore doesn't need to constantly shift the wire back into place.

You could do the same thing without the monster cable thing, i.e. tape the cassette adaptor to your iPod, but that would, for obvious reasons, be impractical.

Capish?

M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 07:33 PM

I've also got an iTrip but got fed up with it after a week! It works nicely with a home stereo, but in the car i've found its pretty hit and miss (mostly miss)

I would recommend connecting the iPod to your car stereo's aux input via the dock. (Because the dock has a line out, which by-passes the headphone amp giving a much improved sound) Most stereos have an aux, some use the CD changer port which most modern head units have, but for some/most you need a special adapter.

I recommend this because its what i did!

LOOK!!!
� 17" PowerBook �

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Yes. But it has a mini socket. Rozwado tapes his cassette adaptor securely into this, and therefore doesn't need to constantly shift the wire back into place.
You got me. I have the cassette adapter plug securely taped to the Monster dock adapter/charger. The other benefit to this setup is that the output from the dock connector is cleaner and at a set volume, so you don't have to worry about your iPod's volume settings.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 11:36 AM

Would you say that your solution to using your iPod in your car is a good one? How much did it all cost to set up? Could you provide links to what you bought perhaps how you set it up?
It's better than wireless, but not as good as RCA inputs (you're still playing it through a tape deck, so there's some noise). The Monster ultra-low profile charger is about $40 IIRC. Tape deck adapters are $10-15.

The headphone connector is below the power cord on the dock connector (look at Monster pic). When you plug it in, you have 2 cords (phone and power) shooting out the right side of the dock connector. I just taped the headphone jack and the power cord together, so the headphone jack plug wouldn't rotate and cause that static.

I may try to switch to an FM modulator, but I'm not sure how hard it'll be to rip out the head unit (it's a lease).

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 05:24 PM

I've got the Ice link. Certainly the best thing out there.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 07:24 PM

I wouldn't recommend the iTrip. My better half and I both picked one up. Waste of money. The reception was terrible. I tried every station and couldn't get a decent signal without holding the iPod in my hand. Try this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aiwa-...oductDetail.do

If you want to go cheap this is the way to go. Add a $4 aux cable and you are on your way. Just plug the cable into the earphone plug on your iPod and the other end into the aux port on the front.

Forum Links
Forum Rules