Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail

Mail
M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 12:44 PM

Right...

I've been away from home this past week and have not been able to send any emails, (mail can't connect to the smtp server) i could surf the net and even receive mail but just not send anything??? Where i was they have the same router i have at home (negear dg834g) all settings look ok, in mail and router even the firewall in the router was letting everything out???

So i try an internet cafe with wi-fi access, same story can't send anything, so i assume it's a problem with my powerbook.

And while in central london i picked up a random network and again could go on the net receive mail but not send.

The minute i get home and fire up mail all the messages in my outbox get sent?????????????

Anyone have a clue why this has happened?

� 17" PowerBook �

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 12:55 PM

The ISPs that you were using while you were away doesn't accept any smtp traffic on port 25 unless it is for their smtp servers.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 01:37 PM

This is how things normally work. Most ISPs only allow connections to their SMTP servers if you are one of their customers. You can work around this by having an account with an SMTP server which will authenticate you; a .Mac (or similar) account; or by setting up your own SMTP server under OS X using Postfix enabler software.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
The ISPs that you were using while you were away doesn't accept any smtp traffic on port 25 unless it is for their smtp servers.
That's correct. Most of the time you can't send mail unless you're on your ISP's connection. However, sometimes you can send mail using your email's SMTP server (such as smtp.gmail.com) instead of using your ISP's specific/dedicated SMTP server (such as smtp.earthlink.net).

In your case, I'm guessing that your default SMTP server in Mail is your ISP's, so sending mail from any source outside of your home internet connection will fail becuase your ISP doesn't recognize the IP address. Instead, use another SMTP server that accepts sending mail from any IP address. It really helps to have a web-based email service for things like this.

edit: philm beat me to it.

M.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I don't use any email directly through my isp (pipex by the way, and they don't restrict you to their smtp servers.)

And I was using a web based email service! o2 to be precise, and also email accounts setup via my own web domain, so this shouldn't be affected that way should it? even though i access them all through pop3?

Also the where i was staying also uses pipex as their isp, and pipex don't block any services, they do have an smtp server but, as i said, don't restrict you to it.

� 17" PowerBook �

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by M.A.S.:
Thanks for the responses.

I don't use any email directly through my isp (pipex by the way, and they don't restrict you to their smtp servers.)
I don't think this makes sense. Pipex can only control access to their servers not anyone else's. I don't have a Pipex account, but my guess is that they will act like all other standard ISPs in the UK. If you dial-up or connect to them directly, you can send out through their SMTP server. If you are connected to the Internet via someone else (e.g. a wireless netork in a coffee shop) you will not be able to send out through Pipex's SMTP.

And I was using a web based email service! o2 to be precise, and also email accounts setup via my own web domain, so this shouldn't be affected that way should it? even though i access them all through pop3?
If you were using a web-based system, that's a totally different kettle of fish. This should work irrespective of how you are connected to the Internet. If it failed, this must have been a problem with the ISP. However, in your first e-mail you mention that you could not connect to the SMTP server - which suggests you were not using a web-based system. You then say that you access them all through POP3 - which is an incoming e-mail protool - not a web based method. Something doesn't add up here.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by philm:
I don't think this makes sense. Pipex can only control access to their servers not anyone else's. I don't have a Pipex account, but my guess is that they will act like all other standard ISPs in the UK. If you dial-up or connect to them directly, you can send out through their SMTP server. If you are connected to the Internet via someone else (e.g. a wireless netork in a coffee shop) you will not be able to send out through Pipex's SMTP.
This is correct.

M.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 08:29 AM

Sorry if I'm being unclear!

I don't use my isp's smtp server. for my o2 account i use o2's smtp server (smtp.o2.co.uk) which is the main reason for my confusion, i thought at least that account would work! (as my other accounts don't have a dedicated smtp server they just use the incoming server)

It's just annoying, i spent ages this week trying to figure it out, i searched through all the settings i could think of, the router, mail, the individual accounts in mail, OS X's firewall and sharing prefs....

and even though it all works now I'm home I'm still confused!

� 17" PowerBook �

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by M.A.S.:
(as my other accounts don't have a dedicated smtp server they just use the incoming server)

This doesn't make sense. I assume you mean that the name of the smtp [ outgoing ] server settings is the same as the incoming. Most servers are on the same box, but may employ a different naming scheme for the server, but there is still a dedicated smtp server.

It still sounds as though the ISP was blocking port 25 to smtp servers not on THEIR network.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 01:41 PM

I've had problems like this with my .Mac account. The solution was to switch the outgoing port from 25 to 587 per Apple.

Maybe your ISP has an alternate port you can use when on the road.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Moose
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by philm:
Pipex can only control access to their servers not anyone else's.
Many ISPs prevent customers from opening sockets to port 25 on hosts that aren't their own SMTP server as an anti-spam measure.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 01:21 AM

Moving the thread to Applications, as this is not Mac OS specific, but is an application issue. Technically, this probably could have been put in Networking as well.

Of course, at this point, it looks like the issue has probably been resolved.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2005, 01:30 AM

This is sort of similar to my question in this thread. Maybe some of you gurus who responded to this in the OS forum have an answer for me? Pretty please?

Forum Links
Forum Rules