Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hell has frozen over

Hell has frozen over (Page 3)
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 12:00 AM

That'd be beyond perfect... that'd be sexy...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 01:50 AM

Again, why? Can anyone explain what possible advantage a wireless mouse has, other than presentations and home theater PC use?

tooki

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Again, why? Can anyone explain what possible advantage a wireless mouse has, other than presentations and home theater PC use?

tooki
I don't have to plug it in and out of my power book all the time...

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
Hey, I live near there!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'll save my comments till I use it.
That's crazy talk!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2005, 03:13 AM

tooki
The way my desk is set up the mouse cable is too short. Even though the mouse is only 6 inches away from the Mac, it has to go behind a shelf and back. Also, the cable gets hung up sometimes. Wireless is nice, but the trades offs like battery life and signal interference weigh it down too.

ON TOPIC: I like the one button mouse. Acutally, I like the "no" button mouse best. I am not a scroll wheel fan. My wife understands me better when I have to explain things to her over the phone. It is handy for the left handed friends I have. I use contextual menus a lot, but I use the keyboard+mouse combos. I think they are just as handy as a two-buttoned mouse.

The touch sensitive aspects have me interested though.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 3, 2005, 03:17 AM

tooki:

I hate the wire with all mice when working on my PB. It gets in the way if it is wound up wrong. The fewer the cables the better anyway.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 3, 2005, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
No Bluetooth?
Not yet anyways. I'm sure that once we've all went out and bought the new mouse Apple will come out and release the new bluetooth version. The benefit to releasing it later, as I see it, is it allows Apple to test the market and see how we react to this. I'm sure it will be positive, but one can't deny that this is a huge step in the right direction.

I think I'll wait on this one so that I can test it out at an Apple store, before I buy.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7

You mean.... us?
Awesome!! Demonhood's buying us mice! Yah know, I always liked him. I've always said how he was the best of all the Mods, I guess this proves it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

budster101
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 03:40 AM

He's not buying ((us)) mice, he's buying the other ass kissers mice....

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
He's not buying ((us)) mice, he's buying the other ass kissers mice....
Fu*k that guy then- I've hated him since he made me reduce my signature size.

(just kidding Demonhood, you know I love you. and please don't ban me)

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

budster101
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 11:04 AM

((( chuckle )))

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 04:08 PM

Took it for a test drive today at the Apple Store.

"touch sensitive" is kind of a misnomer. Clicking it feels just like the "no" button Apple mouse. The whole unit "clicks" down. That is the same for the primary and secondary click. Very nice action, very tactile, very slick.

The scroll "nipple" is kinda strange. It has no tactile feedback and is very small. I'm used to a "clickety" scroll wheel and I have to say I missed having some feedback on the Mighty Mouse. And its small. Really small. It really feels like a tiny nipple on the mouse. The scroll anywhere action is smooth, but the ball is so small that it really feels strange rubbing it like mad to move around.

The side buttons are really a drawback, IMO. They are positioned awkwardly for my large hands so in order to place my fingers over the spots where you squeeze I actually had to shift my grip on the mouse. All hands differ so I admit this is just a personal thing. The spots you squeeze simply don't align with where my thumb and ring finger lay naturally when holding the mouse. Also, you actually have to squeeze to register a click. The buttons are physical so there is tactile feedback as they actually depress, but I just found the hand position and amount of force necessary totally awkward.

In short, its just not very ergonomic at all, at least not for my hands. Bottom line: I'll be sticking with my MS Intellimouse for now.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
That's crazy talk!
Ya hell just froze over for a second time.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 05:27 PM

First iTunes for Windows, a two button mouse, this switch to Intel... what's next... sex bots?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 05:54 PM

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Really?... I want one...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
First iTunes for Windows, a two button mouse, this switch to Intel... what's next... sex bots?
As long as my platform of choice continues to make me a happy computer user... I don't care what Apple does.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
As long as my platform of choice continues to make me a happy computer user... I don't care what Apple does.
Amen.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
But... what if that includes sex botts?

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 10:51 PM

I'll reserve final judgement until I actually get a chance to test one out for myself, but the idea of the whole shell moving down when pressing seems a bit lame, sort of like the one button apple mouse, which I always ditch within hours of getting a new mac.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 11:00 PM

But... what if that includes sex botts?
call me old fashioned, but i'll stick to the real thing.

Originally Posted by PacHead
I'll reserve final judgement until I actually get a chance to test one out for myself, but the idea of the whole shell moving down when pressing seems a bit lame, sort of like the one button apple mouse, which I always ditch within hours of getting a new mac.
if the whole shell moving down is the same as the wireless mouse (the one i'm currently using) then it is not lame at all.

i need to make a trip to an apple store and play with one of these.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
if the whole shell moving down is the same as the wireless mouse (the one i'm currently using) then it is not lame at all.
Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's a matter of taste.

Hey, some people still swear by the apple hockey puck !

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's a matter of taste.

Hey, some people still swear by the apple hockey puck !

YOU"LL GET MY HOCKEY PUCK OUT OF MY COLD DEAD...

well actually I stepped on it a few years ago... it wasn't as accurate as my black pro mouse... which by the way also wasn't as accurate as my Wacom tablet with mouse...
Though I really want a mouse with a nipple on it so I might try a mighty mouse.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 12:54 AM

Though I really want a mouse with a nipple on it [..].
http://www.unleadedjokes.com/php/images/Comp004.jpg

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 03:07 AM

Doesn't look too ergonomic.

Master Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 06:55 AM

U people biatch about developers this... and developers that.

Just wondering.. What developers? the only software company developing software for the mac on a constant basis is Apple itself. Companies like Photoshop and quartz.. all basically require contextual menus.

SO PLS... STFU

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 07:05 AM

It kind of looks like a pimple to me.

It takes some getting use to the (the mouse not pimples) and the more I use it the more I like it. The down side for me is the side buttons, no way to unlink them. I use a MX500 on my desktop and the side buttons on that mouse are programmed for page up/page down. A handy feature for me. No way to do this if the buttons are linked

The cord vs. cordless debate is really on personal preference. The mx500 is a nice wireless mouse but its not as precise as a corded mouse and I find it frustrating when dealing with pixels in PS. BT mice are even worse, I gave up on them a long time ago. Maybe the technology has changed since then but I was not impressed.

I'm not sure at this point if this baby will be used for my G5 or my PB. It was for the PB but now I'm thinking for the G5.

Mike

esXXI
Senior User
Aug 4, 2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Master Ken

Just wondering.. What developers? the only software company developing software for the mac on a constant basis is Apple itself. Companies like Photoshop and quartz.. all basically require contextual menus.

SO PLS... STFU
The 500,000 Apple Developer Connection members, maybe? And since when is Photoshop of Quartz a company?

u fail @ t3h intarweb gb2/win32

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 10:01 AM

I don't understand the complaint about "too small for big hands." I have big hands, and smaller things than the Apple mice work fine for me, cell phones, etc, without me cramping up or feeling futzy.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:06 AM

Too small for big hands.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2005, 10:57 AM

SO PLS... STFU
Stop trolling.

There are thousands of developers for the Mac currently.

Any Adobe application can be operated 100% with a one-button mouse -- there are no features in their programs (on Mac or WIndows) that are available only in a contextual menu.

And that's how we want to keep things.

tooki

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 11:04 AM

Stop trolling.

There are thousands of developers for the Mac currently.

Any Adobe application can be operated 100% with a one-button mouse -- there are no features in their programs (on Mac or WIndows) that are available only in a contextual menu.

And that's how we want to keep things.

tooki

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 11:17 AM

Companies like Photoshop and quartz.. all basically require contextual menus.
Mwhahahahahaha.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 4, 2005, 01:09 PM

I can't do without my two button mouse.

I am not slagging on the new Apple one, never used it.

But do lubs my Kensingtons.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 01:12 PM

Apple SUCKS 100% at meeting demands of new products. I ordered mine day of the announcement, when I ordered it it clearly said ships same day. 2 days later I get an email saying it is delayed a week. Called the Apple Store in Toronto, they put my name down for one if they come in tomorrow. Canceling my online order as this is the same experience I always have with ordering online.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Master Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 07:23 PM

Boo hoo hoo... God gave me two arm... but i why?. when all i need is one...
i can do everything with just one arm...

God gave me two legs... but why?.. when i can hop everywhere i go, its just as trendy to hop nowadays..

God gave me two ass cheeks, but WHY?.... when i only have one anus.

Master Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 07:27 PM

One day.. I woke up.. and I was like.. OMG what arm do I use to brush my teeth with.
My right or my left.
I just don’t know.. I was so confused that day, I tried looking it up on the Internet, but couldn't figure out which finger to type with. I’ve got so many, and all I needed was one figure to type. I can’t do all 10. But to no avail, no one can tell me which arm to use.
I stood there all-day, confused and frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to brush my teeth.

So I just went back to bed, with a bad breath.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 08:33 AM

That didn't take long. Microsoft strikes back and also releases a new mouse. And it's even more innovative than Apple's so called "Mighty Mouse".

Apple's New Mouse Is Not as Mighty As Rival's Magnifier

On Tuesday, Apple […] released an optional, add-on mouse called Mighty Mouse that allows right-clicking and scrolling. But in a stubborn homage to the old dogma, Apple designed the Mighty Mouse so it looks like, and can work like, a one-button mouse. Those clashing design goals make the Mighty Mouse harder to use than competing mice.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has also brought out a new mouse in the past few weeks, the Wireless Optical Mouse 5000. It isn't as slick-looking as Apple's new entry, but it's better, in my view. The Microsoft mouse has an innovation: It allows you to instantly magnify any portion of your screen without zooming into the whole display. That's a great help to people doing detail work, not to mention to the increasing number of baby boomers with declining vision.

[…]

As with all of Apple's mice in recent years, the Mighty Mouse has no visible buttons. The entire top surface of the shiny white mouse operates as a giant button. In single-button mice, this works fine and is kind of cool. But it makes it hard to do a right-click. So Apple built touch sensors into the Mighty Mouse that detect whether you are pressing its left or right side.

Macintosh fan sites on the Web are already hailing this as another of Apple's brilliant design coups. It's not. In my tests, I found that the design makes right-clicking slower and clumsier than on a typical Microsoft or Logitech mouse with real buttons.

[…]

The scrolling function on the Apple mouse is also somewhat compromised in the name of design. Instead of the tried and tested scroll wheel, Apple embedded a tiny "scroll ball" in the top of the Mighty Mouse. It allows you to scroll vertically, horizontally and even diagonally. It looks cool, but I found it inferior to a scroll wheel and could never get it to work diagonally.

[…]

The right-click button and the scroll wheel on the wireless Microsoft mouse worked quickly and surely every time, even on a Macintosh. But the key feature of the Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 is the magnifier button. You just click this little button on the mouse's left side, and instantly a rectangular area around the cursor opens to magnify that portion of the screen below. The rest of the screen remains normal.

You can expand or contract the magnifier window, or increase or decrease magnification. To dismiss the magnifier window, you just click the button again. […]

So, stop the presses: Microsoft has beaten Apple on hardware design, at least in this one case.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 08:48 AM

got mine yesterday, I absoloutly LOVE the scroll ball

but hate everything else about it =/

Mine is going back if it can, or being sold

the hand does not rest comfortably for those that spend long hours on the computer, side buttons are not placed well and are difficult to activate without moving your whole hand

the two front buttons are flakey (but could be worked out with time) and you cannnot press them both at one time (big problem for some gamers)

the whole package does not sit well besides the ball (love that thing)

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 08:48 AM

What's next? Computers with LARGE PRINT?

(You've been able to do this as an option with Microsoft Mouses for as long as I can remember. Not sure what the innovation here is really.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 09:00 AM

The innovation he is talking about is a zoom slider where you can zoom in and out of documents.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 09:02 AM

Yeah, I've had that on my MS keyboard (on my PC) since very early this year, or late last year. The funny thing is that it works well with Word and Firefox, but doesn't do squat with IE. hahahaha.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules