Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best wheel mouse for Mac

Best wheel mouse for Mac
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2001, 05:45 PM

I'll give MS marks for the wheel mouse. It really is handy when surfing.

What alternatives are out there for the Mac in terms of a wheel mouse?
And which seem to be the best.
Thanks

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 03:00 AM

I have the logitech optical wheel mouse and i love it. I paid $25 ( comp use)after taking 5$ off, but regular price is only $30, maybe they'll drop the price
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 03:30 AM

I've got a Logitech cordless wheel mouse. Love it! Loosing the cord is really nice. It isn't optical though, so I still have to clean it out every now and then.

ktolis
Mar 17, 2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by AirSluf:
I've got a Logitech cordless wheel mouse. Love it! Loosing the cord is really nice. It isn't optical though, so I still have to clean it out every now and then.
got the Logitech PilotPro mouse ...the one with ball and cable in usb and the only problem i found was not being able to use the wheel for adobe GoLive, Q3A and UT . in anything else this this is excellent

ktolis

Paul S
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 09:17 AM

I have the Macally iOptiNet optical scroll mouse. Works great. Nice software to customize the buttons/wheel.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2001, 01:32 PM

I hate to admit it, but the Microsoft optical Explorer mouse is the best out there. Once you've used it, you'll never want a different mouse.

Kestral
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 04:23 PM

As I can only speak for myself, I'll just say that I bought Microsoft's Intellimouse Optical and I love it. Along with the scroll wheel and the second button for contextual menus, I have also grown to depend on the smaller left and right buttons on the side of the mouse, which in Explorer, are used for forward and backward when web browsing. I use my computer mostly for work (which involves quite a bit of web research) and have to say that that the added functionality this mouse has over the conventional Macintosh mouse boosts my productivity significantly to the point where I would not use a Mac without it.

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 11:06 AM

IMHO, the Intellimouse Explorer is the best mouse on the mraket right now.

My Review: http://homepage.mac.com/giantmike/re...ellimouse.html

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 02:04 PM

Yep another vote for the cordless Logitech Wheel Mouse. I will never go back to a corded mouse on any of my personal systems again!

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 12:50 AM

I have had both the Intellimouse Optical and the more expensive Intellimouse Explorer and actually like the cheaper mouse better. It still has 4 buttons and the scroll wheel and has performed flawlessly for over a year (the more expensive version broke after 6 weeks and after reading glowing reviews about the "little brother" mouse I traded down when I returned the original one to Costco).

in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 09:20 PM

do the cordless mice use batteries that you have to replace and what is the difference between the two intellimouses?

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 11:07 PM

I'd say the Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel... I've got one and it's great. I think they even do an optical version now. To answer the previous post, yes they do take batteries, the Logitech takes 2 AAAs. I find the extra weight of the batteries and the electronics gives a nice weight to the mouse. Which ever one you get, make sure it's USB and radio freq _not_ IR. line of sight cordless sucks for mice...

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 10:34 PM

Go Logitech - I have the optical two button with scroll wheel and with the low price nothing beats it

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 01:09 PM

I went for the MS IntelliMouse too, it works perfectly, but: everytime i start my G4, it's frozen for a 60 seconds, (and then it's gone). Apple told me this is probably an extension issue, but it happened on an PCI 7300, on a beige G3 and now on my G4.

I'm I the only one having this problem or did someone else encounter that?

--motti
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 01:24 PM

Another vote for the Logitech optical wheel mouse.

I had the Intellimouse Explorer for a few days and the thing is just too damn big. I rest my hand on a wrist gurd thing and use the mouse with my fingers and the Intellimouse doesn't lend itself to this at all. My hand hurt almost right away.

I also had a XLR8 scroll mouse which I liked but it broke pretty quickly. The optical Logitech is really nice and it's cheap and it works with both my PC and my Mac. I would recommend USB overdrive over the standard drivers. If I was buying one now I'd look into the cordless optical version but they are like 3 times the cost.

I think Apple is just being stubborn about not introducing a two button scroll mouse, at least as an option. As pretty as their new mouse is, I couldn't go back to not having a scroll wheel.

tomrup
Mar 28, 2001, 10:52 AM

You get a 2-button + scroll wheel mouse with the Wacom Graphire Pad, as well as the usual Wacom pen.

OK, it feels a little cheap and occasionally freezes - resurrect it by unplugging then reconnecting (flaky USB driver?) but still works pretty well and is of course, "cordless".

Worked OK for a year now.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Walker:
I hate to admit it, but the Microsoft optical Explorer mouse is the best out there. Once you've used it, you'll never want a different mouse.
Lots of people have disproved this theory. I'd pay twice as much for the Pro Mouse than for the Ignoramus Exploder, and gladly give up the added buttons and wheel for the feeling of solidity and comfort, and the gorgeous looks.

As wheel mice go, I love the generic mini-wheel mouse I bought for my wife's subnotebook.

Meanwhile, I sanded off all of the dirty worn-out silver paint from my M$ mouse and it looks much better. Now I'll custom decorate it and finish it off with spray enamel.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Glenstorm
Mar 29, 2001, 01:36 AM

I have a Kensington Optical Mouse. I like it so far. It comes with a cool control panel that lets you custimize its behavior for each application. Apparently if you create more than five of these app sets the drivers get blitzy and unstable though. I haven't encounter this problem though.

Just want to note also the unspoken benefits of these mice, (the optical mechanism vs. the traditional ball mechanism). The optical mech. is awesome!!! Some much more accurate and tight than the balls. Not sure if the logictech sports this... But the Kensington does and the M$ does also. If your buying a replacement mouse GO OPTICAL!

P.S. I got my Kensington for � $20 at CompUSA.

[This message has been edited by Glenstorm (edited 03-29-2001).]

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 01:46 AM

Go with Logitech...they make great products....but whatever you do, stay away from MacAlly....they just suck
i Think, therefore iMac.

Raman
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2001, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by snodman:
I have had both the Intellimouse Optical and the more expensive Intellimouse Explorer and actually like the cheaper mouse better. It still has 4 buttons and the scroll wheel and has performed flawlessly for over a year (the more expensive version broke after 6 weeks and after reading glowing reviews about the "little brother" mouse I traded down when I returned the original one to Costco).
The larger Explorer is too big for my hands. Actually it's perfect for my hands but then I can't use my fingers to move the mouse around - instead I have to resort to using my elbow and shoulders. Not good.

Steve Yun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2001, 03:28 PM

The Intellimouse Explorer sucks for me.

I like to pick up my mouse a lot. The Explorer is difficult to pick up because of its diagonal sides. I need a mouse that has perfectly vertical sides so that I can get a grip on it and lift it.

So that leaves out all the recent Microsoft mice, unfortunately. What's left? Mainly Macally and Logitech.

I tried the Logitech despite the fact that it looks ugly as hell. Unfortunately, it doesn't like my all-black desk surface. The mouse pointer kept squirreling all over the place.

So then I settled on the Macally. It looks nice, feels nice, and works well on more surfaces than the Logitech or even the Explorer. Also, it doesn't make the cheap, lightweight rattle that the beige Microsoft optical mouse does when you slide it across the desk.

The only downside to the Macally is that its optical sensor is not as fast as either the Logitech or Microsoft mice, but it's fast enough that I've never once ran into problems with its sensor being too slow. The only times when it's been too slow is when I intentionally jerk it around real fast to see how fast the sensor is.

CDonG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2001, 03:30 PM

I'd never give up my IntelliMouse Explorer... ever...

It fits perfectly, the only problem i've had with it is that the USB cord would short sometimes... i need to fold the wire back over and tape it in place, i know it sounds odd, but it keeps it working.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Glenstorm:
I have a Kensington Optical Mouse. I like it so far.
I have the Kensington Mouse-in-a-Box Scroll USB. The best $30 I ever spent on a peripheral, even though it is just a regular mechnical mouse with a ball. Now that you can get the optical Kensington for even less money, I would give it an even closer look.

Check out http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_c1376.html for a complete listing of Kensington mice.

Escher

------------------
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Let's have a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook with AirPort and 5 hour battery life now!

[This message has been edited by escher (edited 04-03-2001).]
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2001, 10:32 PM

here's one more for the logitech two button wheel optical...
works like a charm (w/ usb overdrive, of course)
and, hey, it looks neat too!

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

theMacDude
Apr 7, 2001, 10:13 PM

I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned the Boomslang from Razorone. I frined of mine has one hooked up to his Blue & White G3 and he loves it. (no mac drivers, but USB Overdrive works fine with it.)

is anyone else out there using one?

------------------
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

megetherio_tron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 02:25 AM

I got a logitech transperant green mouse(prefectly clashing my graphite iMac
its AWESOME
I fully suport logitech and encourage all of you to do likewise
the only thing this mouse coudl use(and its actaully not a big thing
would be a thumb button
a friend of mine had a three button(no scroll) with thumb
it is Really nice for playing games with
The scroll wheel(i din't like these at first)
is AWESOME
another friend of mine has a logitech mouse htat is perfect
it has 2 buttons on top plus scroll-button plus a thumb button
only problem is it is serial and it doesn't work with his comp( he has serial inputs its just wierd and deosn't work
I used to be thelorax for
any of you appleinsider
guys
"I used to be a mech warrior but i didn't respect orders
I had to step forward...."

Forum Links
Forum Rules