Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > seriously panicking - iBook clamshell won't boot at all

seriously panicking - iBook clamshell won't boot at all
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2007, 10:33 PM

I booted up my trusty clamshell just now to start working on my LCD mod project again - and it wouldn't boot. I haven't touched this iBook in over a month. Granted, it has been laying here with its innards out, but nobody has moved it or touched it in weeks.

It won't boot. At all. I have reset the PRAM, NVRAM, and PMU to no avail. Upon attempting a normal boot, I get the startup chime once and then a grey screen that flashes between the blue folder with a ? and the blue folder with the Mac face (finder icon). If I attempt to boot from my OS X 10.3 retail CD 1, it refuses and tries to boot off the hard drive, which then fails. If I do an option+boot and attempt to select either the hard drive or the CD-ROM, the CD will spin up, the boot selection screen will flash...and come back to the selection screen, which appears to me that it's failed again.

I'm about to have a heart attack here - I have stuff on this hard drive that I don't want to lose, so I'd rather not reinstall - which doesn't seem possible right now anyhow, given that the stupid CD-ROM won't boot either! This is an aftermarket combo drive I've installed. I have the original CD-ROM, and I can pull it from another semi-assembled clamshell I have to see if my iBook will boot off that. I don't know what else to do.

I have the boyfriend's 12" PB G4, so I can boot into target disk mode on the clamshell and copy my data over...but I don't know why the drive would have done this to me. It's not that old a drive - maybe four years old and rarely used until I put it in the clamshell a year ago.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2007, 11:11 PM

I lied - my old CD-ROM from my clamshell no longer works, for unknown reasons.

I *really* need to be able to boot this thing. I will send cookies to whoever can help me!

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2007, 01:36 AM

This is too weird - on impulse, I decided to re-install the 256MB RAM module (in addition to the 64MB soldered on the logic board), and it booted.

I'm pretty sure I have previously booted this iBook with the 256MB module removed. Any ideas why a change in memory would cause OS X to refuse to boot?

I'm happy I got it to boot, but that was just weird - on every PC I've worked with, removing one or more RAM modules (but always leaving some RAM) will just bring up a "system memory changed" warning at boot, but the OS will still load...

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2007, 02:05 PM

And you immediately backed up everything on the hard drive, right? ;-)

Don't know the answer to why re-seating the RAM would fix your problem, but glad it did. I guess it's like smacking the side of an old CRT.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 02:17 PM

I *really* need to be able to boot this thing. I will send cookies to whoever can help me!
I am glad it is back running, are you going to send the cookies to yourself?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules