Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tivoli radios

Tivoli radios
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 03:32 AM

Anyone have one of these? Thoughts on quality and quality vs price?

I'm looking for a nice small system that will fill my 12x10 bedroom with quality sounds.

ImpulseResponse

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 04:33 AM

Consider the source (I'm no audiophile, or even a connoisseur) but I don’t get the whole high-end radio thing at all. Even if you are blessed with a location that gives you decent reception, the sound quality of FM pretty much sucks. Aside from news/talk stations (BBC Radio 4 in UK, NPR in states) there is nothing on the radio I can stomach listening to for long (I like the talking as long as they don’t play music, if they play music, I want them to shut the hell up, and they don’t). It’s rare any station plays two pieces of music in a row that I like, and who really cares about the audio quality of talk radio. And the reality is, I can’t hear enough if any difference between decent and premium compact systems that justifies the price.

BUT… if you are a fan of the design, which is worlds better then the ugly Bose stuff or the blinky lights of the average systems, than I could understand the decision.

Though I would again refer you to my first sentence. I’m no audiophile.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 07:09 AM

I own three. Best looking and sounding radio you can buy today.

1. The standard radio, in my office. Great sound both from the radio and from the iPod/Mac plugged into it.

2. The clock radio, on the bedside table. Again, a very simple radio alarm with great sound.

3. The stereo model for our weekend home. I use it as an amp for my turntable when we play vinyl. Sounds great, and even out there where radio signals aren't half as strong as in the city it delivers clear reception.

I love them because the look as great as they sound. Nothing fancy about them, just well engineered and well made.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2008, 10:23 AM

I love mine. I have the Tivoli Model Two w/sub woofer (not shown in pic):

I use them as my main computer desk speakers. I rarely play FM through it, but when I do, it has the best reception of any radio in the house in the worst location. Mainly I am playing iTunes, or an iPod through the AUX input. I like that it has a mixed input, so when I am playing FM the sound from the computer is still playing.

The cabinets are made out of real wood that can be stained darker or a higher gloss applied. I kept mine factory finish, as I like the way cherry wood naturally patinas.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 21, 2008, 12:12 PM

One day before last year's mini-vacation, minor panic ensued when we realized we didn't have a small radio to bring along ... so I ran out to the nearest Target with the intention of buying a Tivoli. You know, something that's somewhat 'portable' and which we'd continue to use after returning from the vacation.

In the electronics isle, they had a bunch table-top radios hooked up and ready for a 'test-listen' ... a Tivoli, a bunch of Sony's, the usual. And all the way in the corner there was this ugly bastard, a Boston Acoustics Receptor ...

I turned it on, set it to the same station as the Tivoli and was completely blown away - the two aren't even close. While the Tivoli sounds very nice (*), it can't hold a match to the BA's depth and clarity of sound. Yes, it's kinda ugly and mono only, but it does have an iPod hookup (mini stereo in, no dock) and great radio reception to boot.

I did take a quick peek at BA's website and they seem to have dropped the Receptor from their line-up, but they're still available at amazon, for example.

Mind you, I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone as their only audio device, but when used as a secondary/table-top radio (e.g., in the kitchen, or bedroom), I doubt you'll be able to find one that sounds better.

(* - that picture might of course change entirely once you get a Tivoli with the second speaker and subwoofer, but that wasn't what I was looking for at the time)

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 12:49 PM

Hey neato - I've actually kind of been looking for a Tivoli with a digital alarm.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 01:52 PM

I've got an iPal. Sounds good, but too much bass makes it "knock."

Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post

(* - that picture might of course change entirely once you get a Tivoli with the second speaker and subwoofer, but that wasn't what I was looking for at the time)
I wouldn't recommend the Tivoli Model One. But the Model Two has great stereo "staging" and reproduction of sound. With the subwoofer it really shines and the music sounds extremely accurate.

Sometimes these small devices "taint" the music or make it sound too bright to make up for short comings in the small design or cheap electronics. The Tivoli is reference quality and has a very superior build to almost everything out there.

Plus it looks good.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 07:37 PM

In my experience the Tivoli model 1 is very nice, warm sounding little radio. It has the looks and backs it up with very good sound.

I feel it is best at talk radio and music recorded before the CD player became a hit. It's worth the money.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 22, 2008, 11:11 AM

Like Railroader I used the Tivoli Model 2 and sub for computer speakers. Overall they sound ok and look great but I ended up replacing them for a set of studio monitors. Like effege, I prefer the BA Receptor over the Tivoli as far as sound quality, functionality and usability.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 11:13 AM

What studio monitors and how do you power them?

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 22, 2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What studio monitors and how do you power them?
Blue Sky EXO 2.1. They are self powered. It has a control unit with three MIXED inputs, headphone jack, bass and volume controls. They sound really great. In a different league than the Tivoli.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 11:39 AM

Cool. Not quite my aesthetics, but still a great product apparently.

I was looking for monitors when I bought the Tivoli. But I didn't want to mess with external amps. I think I still would have went with the Tivoli.

hayesk
Aug 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

I have a model one. It sounds great. I only use it for FM, not as iPod or computer speaker. FM actually doesn't suck at all when you have a good tuner.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post

That is so much my cup of tea - beautifully engineered, form follows function with no frills of any kind. Lovely!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2008, 12:51 AM

I have a Model 3 clock radio, and I love it. The tuner is fantastic and the whole unit is built like a tank.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules