Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone use an Android phone with a Mac? Do they play well together?

Anyone use an Android phone with a Mac? Do they play well together?
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2011, 12:13 PM

Hey all,

I'm upgrading my phone this summer, and while I'm going to see what Apple comes out with, I'm seriously considering getting an Android handset, for a number of reasons which can be summarised by saying that to a certain extent, if Apple's famous 1984 commercial were made now, Apple would be the monolithic corporation on the receiving-end of the sledge-hammer. It's just controlling too much of how you're allowed to think with all of its content restrictions, from what apps you're allowed to buy to what formats you can use on your iDevices.

...but that's a philosophical debate for another day

What I'm wondering is, does Android play nicely with Macs? If I got one, I wouldn't want to have to mess around with seven pieces of shareware every time I wanted to sync my music and photos. Can it be done pretty-much seamlessly? Or by buying a Mac, does that mean you're stuck with the iPhone?

Thanks,

Will

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2011, 03:47 PM

I only have anecdotal evidence from friends with Macs and Androids...

They absolutely hated it. One of my friends never got his Android to sync at all. Maybe he's just an idiot.

Like I said, all anecdotal. Someone here must have some actual hands on.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 08:56 PM

The device should just be mass storage. Drag and drop what you want.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2011, 09:13 PM

So I just drag and drop a contact from address book onto the volume, and it magically is added to contacts on the phone?

Maybe drag/drop works for media, but I can't see that working for calendars or contacts, etc.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 09:30 PM

iCal and Address Book are both able to synchronize with Gmail. I should hope Android would be able to sync its contacts and calendar with Gmail. This should hopefully allow you to sync everything without too much trouble.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
So I just drag and drop a contact from address book onto the volume, and it magically is added to contacts on the phone?

Maybe drag/drop works for media, but I can't see that working for calendars or contacts, etc.
Note the OP was asking specifically about music and photos:
Originally Posted by willed View Post
If I got one, I wouldn't want to have to mess around with seven pieces of shareware every time I wanted to sync my music and photos. Can it be done pretty-much seamlessly?

If he was asking about calendars/contacts I'd be recommending OTA. USB for calendar/contact sync is so 2002.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
One of my friends never got his Android to sync at all. Maybe he's just an idiot.
You must have nice friends...

Forum Links
Forum Rules