Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spaces: am I doing it wrong or is it just this annoying?

Spaces: am I doing it wrong or is it just this annoying?
willed
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2015, 03:37 PM

So I've just upgraded to a Retina iMac with Yosemite, but Spaces and its conflation with Full Screen/the maximise button is doing my head in.

I like having apps full screen, but when I go to check something in another app using Command-Tab, I then want to Command Tab back to the original app... and I can't. I have to remember that full screen = different space, so I can't get back into the app the way I got out.

How is this a good idea?

Also, whenever you cycle to an app using Command Tab, you expect to be shown its open windows, but instead these are often hidden in another space. So unless you take a the extra step of bringing up 'Mission Control' every time you do anything, you can end up with dozens of Spaces - one for every time you go full-screen and leave a bunch of tabs open.

I know you can Ctrl + -> through different spaces, but I don't want to have to remember which apps need Command + -> and which need Command + Tab to cycle to - on top of remembering which windows are within apps so need Command + ` to get to or Command + Shift + ] if they're in tabs!

What am I doing wrong? This system seems unduly complicated unless you've got a very complex workflow that requires spaces for whole families of apps. Forcing it on someone who just wants to use Chrome or iPhoto full screen seems crazy right now...

Thanks for any tips!

W
( Last edited by willed; Jan 26, 2015 at 03:52 PM. )

ibook_steve
Jan 26, 2015, 04:47 PM

I don't understand. I command-tab from and to full screen apps all the time. When you say you can't, what do you mean? What exactly is happening?

In Mission Control preferences, you should turn on the 1st 3 options or at least the middle two: switch to a Space with open windows and group windows by application. See if these options help you.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I needed - these were unchecked for some reason, meaning I switched back to the app but not the Space all its windows were in.

Well that's that rant over then!

Forum Links
Forum Rules