Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto alternative with Events?

iPhoto alternative with Events?
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2016, 09:40 PM

Hi all,

One of the features I most miss in Photos is the sorting of pictures into Events.

In iPhoto, this allows you to see thousands of photos at a glance with each event telling a story. It also allows you to separate things that happened across the same time period - e.g. if you and your significant-other occasionally do different things (I hear it does happen!) In Photos, you just get a multicoloured mess of mini-pics arranged chronologically.

To be fair, as you zoom into Photos they are sorted by location. But (last time I checked) you can't add locations to pictures in Photos if they don't already have them!

I subscribed to Adobe Lightroom, which obviously has far superior editing features to iPhoto. But its general 'shop window' is nowhere near as elegant as Events, again just showing a bunch of thumbnails, or boring folder-names.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? Googling hasn't turned up much but I thought I'd check. I'm sticking with iPhoto for now, but it's far from ideal.

Thanks,

W

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
Hi all,

One of the features I most miss in Photos is the sorting of pictures into Events.

In iPhoto, this allows you to see thousands of photos at a glance with each event telling a story. It also allows you to separate things that happened across the same time period - e.g. if you and your significant-other occasionally do different things (I hear it does happen!) In Photos, you just get a multicoloured mess of mini-pics arranged chronologically.

To be fair, as you zoom into Photos they are sorted by location. But (last time I checked) you can't add locations to pictures in Photos if they don't already have them!

I subscribed to Adobe Lightroom, which obviously has far superior editing features to iPhoto. But its general 'shop window' is nowhere near as elegant as Events, again just showing a bunch of thumbnails, or boring folder-names.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? Googling hasn't turned up much but I thought I'd check. I'm sticking with iPhoto for now, but it's far from ideal.

Thanks,

W
I noticed over the weekend that Photos now allows you to tag locations again. That's really helpful.
I've thought about switching to Lightroom, but frankly, haven't had the time to dork with it yet.

I was using iCloud sync, but gave up on it due to cost. (The cheap plan didn't have enough space, and the bigger plan was too much money)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules