Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Mac Game Scene A Complete Bore

Mac Game Scene A Complete Bore
Forseti
Apr 12, 2003, 04:35 PM

Ever since WC3 shipped last year, there hasn't been ANY major PC hit titles shipping on the Mac side. The industry has been a total bore.

Shadowbane: Any MMO is a joke (execpt for MUDs), not worth my money.
The Sims: Get a F*cking Life - I hate these expansion packs, just a stupid money maker.
NASCAR: I never enjoy sports games, just do it in real life, more fun.
HoMM IV: Sucky AI, buggy game, and by the time they released a fix the game got super boring.
MOO3: Haven't bought it, I don't enjoy these hardcore civ. style games.
NWN: No toolset, therefore worthless. And the tremendous delay.

What I would buy:
UT2K3: Infinite replayability with mods.
SC4: Only if they were highly optimized, because even on a P4 2ghz gf4mx the thing in unplayable at 200000 pop. Other than that, great game.
Dungeon Seige: Don't know much about it but looks damn good.

But none of those are shipping yet.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 04:41 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (4 upcoming)

And UT2003 will be out in the Spring...I wouldn't say it's a complete bore.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 05:27 PM

Man... I do hope the game library for Mac gets better soon... there's just not too much games to choose from still...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Man... I do hope the game library for Mac gets better soon... there's just not too much games to choose from still...

Ming
It's better now then it was back in 1998 - 2001. Aspyr has many new games coming out, even some PC and Mac releases that will be simultaneous. As Mac OS X gets more mature, it will attract more game developers. Heck, even Sony is making games for OS X.
( Last edited by CheesePuff; Apr 12, 2003 at 06:33 PM. )

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 05:41 PM

Too bad. It might be a bore for you, but it's certainly an exciting time for the Mac gaming industry, even if I don't enjoy all the games that are released.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Forseti:
Ever since WC3 shipped last year, there hasn't been ANY major PC hit titles shipping on the Mac side. The industry has been a total bore.

Shadowbane: Any MMO is a joke (execpt for MUDs), not worth my money.
The Sims: Get a F*cking Life - I hate these expansion packs, just a stupid money maker.
NASCAR: I never enjoy sports games, just do it in real life, more fun.
HoMM IV: Sucky AI, buggy game, and by the time they released a fix the game got super boring.
MOO3: Haven't bought it, I don't enjoy these hardcore civ. style games.
NWN: No toolset, therefore worthless. And the tremendous delay.

What I would buy:
UT2K3: Infinite replayability with mods.
SC4: Only if they were highly optimized, because even on a P4 2ghz gf4mx the thing in unplayable at 200000 pop. Other than that, great game.

It's the best it's been for quite a while.

Maybe you should learn to programme games and impress us with something other than your whining.
folding@home is good for you.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 11:35 PM

I've never been at a loss for a decent game to play, truth be told I don't play a lot though

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 02:12 AM

This is the slow time of the year anyway... I wish some of the porting houses would go back a few years and find games that have slipped thru the cracks and bring them to the Mac. W/ macs being slower (don't flame me on this one) and opengl still needing a boost (hopefully panther will fix this, but we will have to wait for games to be optimized for panther's changes) I would enjoy a game that runs smoothly on my g4 iMac w/ gf 2mx.

Also, w/ NWN not being done by one of the more experienced porting houses I'm worried its going to be terribly slow... hope I'm wrong.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by poulh:
This is the slow time of the year anyway... I wish some of the porting houses would go back a few years and find games that have slipped thru the cracks and bring them to the Mac. W/ macs being slower (don't flame me on this one) and opengl still needing a boost (hopefully panther will fix this, but we will have to wait for games to be optimized for panther's changes) I would enjoy a game that runs smoothly on my g4 iMac w/ gf 2mx.

Also, w/ NWN not being done by one of the more experienced porting houses I'm worried its going to be terribly slow... hope I'm wrong.
Tell me about it... I would like a good port of Red Alert (not 2). That was and still is a great game.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 01:10 PM

(this is why I finally just bought a cheap PC to satisfy my gaming needs)
Be happy.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
I think I might have to because of Battlefield 1942 and the other goodies.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I think I might have to because of Battlefield 1942 and the other goodies.
I agree.. Battlefield 1942 is damn fun!

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 06:17 PM

I did the same thing..for 2 reasons..

the lack of games (or the long wait for them)
the incredible cost of a good video card for the Mac..

I paid for my PC what 1 Gf4 Ti 4600 would have cost to put in my Quicksilver..

6 months later I am using the PC more than my mac..talk about identity crisis..

roders
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 06:49 PM

Don't worry "Corys" the same thing happened to me, I even sold my Dual 800 with GF3.
A Year later I'm back, on an Roasting hot Alunimum Mac!
How about this for a Slogan
"Once U Go Mac U Never Go Back!" ; how cheesy is that

Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 07:26 PM

Starcraft is all I need

But ya.. compared to the PC side of things, there is not much over here. But the stuff that does make it over is usually pretty good.

Perhaps you should consider buy a gaming PC? (I am considering doing this, after I buy some consoles)

jckalen
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 08:56 PM

Have you checked out much shareware? There is a wealth of good games for under $30, and sometimes for free.

Yes, there is more stuff available for PC but I consider most of it to be "filler". For example, while you are waiting for the next release of SC4, you could play "Big Biz Tycoon" or "Mall Tycoon" or "Trailer Park Tycoon". While waiting for the next "Everquest" expansion, there are hundreds of RPG's you can bide your time with. Will you be happier? Probably not - you'll just have less money and wonder why - the computer didn't cost nearly as much as a mac, after all.

Think of the PC as a filter. Only the good games and the high sellers get ported to the mac. Sometimes we miss out on good ones but it's not a compelling enough arguement to cause me to think about switching platforms. I'll get a gamecube or PS2 before I'll give in to the dark side.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 11:25 PM

I'll take a chance on this one.

Forseti, hvaļæ½a helvļæ½tis bull er ļæ½etta ļæ½ ļæ½ļæ½r maļæ½ur. Fļæ½ļæ½u ļæ½ļæ½r lļæ½f, ef ļæ½ļæ½ vilt fļæ½ ļæ½ļæ½r leikjatļæ½lvu keyptu ļæ½ļæ½r ļæ½ļæ½ PS2. Makkinn er og verļæ½ur alltaf vinnutļæ½lva.

Ertu ekki annars ļæ½slendingur

So there you have it.........

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by jckalen:
Have you checked out much shareware? There is a wealth of good games for under $30, and sometimes for free.

Yes, there is more stuff available for PC but I consider most of it to be "filler". For example, while you are waiting for the next release of SC4, you could play "Big Biz Tycoon" or "Mall Tycoon" or "Trailer Park Tycoon". While waiting for the next "Everquest" expansion, there are hundreds of RPG's you can bide your time with. Will you be happier? Probably not - you'll just have less money and wonder why - the computer didn't cost nearly as much as a mac, after all.

Think of the PC as a filter. Only the good games and the high sellers get ported to the mac. Sometimes we miss out on good ones but it's not a compelling enough arguement to cause me to think about switching platforms. I'll get a gamecube or PS2 before I'll give in to the dark side.

very very very true!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 02:59 AM

FIFA please. And joystick config panel built into OSX.

elmer
Apr 14, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Starcraft is all I need

But ya.. compared to the PC side of things, there is not much over here. But the stuff that does make it over is usually pretty good.

Perhaps you should consider buy a gaming PC? (I am considering doing this, after I buy some consoles)
Hear hear!
Except insert Warcraft III instead of Starcraft above.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 01:33 PM

Welp, the demo is now out and it will be shipping April 25th.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 02:26 PM

I have Dungeon Seige for PC and it's a really fun game. You'll be at it for hours and hours if you play online or Lan.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 02:50 PM

well, apparently, UT2K3 demo will be out in a matter of days.

or so it now says on their website,
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 02:58 PM

BG II Throne of Bhaal... Yet no to be ported, what a shame.

Still plenty of fun in Medal of Honor though and at least we have a couple of decent racing games.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
well, apparently, UT2K3 demo will be out in a matter of days.

or so it now says on their website,
URL?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 03:49 PM

Here are two posts from the forum.

I sent an e-mail to Mark Rein and actually received a response. He might not want me to post this yet but who cares. This is what he told me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My apologies for this. We have been waiting for Apple to release a new OS update (which I believe they just did this week or are just about to do) which is critical because without it our game does not run as it should on ATI video cards. I'm waiting to hear back from Ryan Gordon (the project leader on Mac UT2003) on that status of that update and the resulting testing to ensure that it worked properly. Once we have that we're pretty close to releasing the demo. Once the demo is out we'll look at all the bug reports to see where we stand with respect to how soon we can go ahead and release the product. I'll post a status update on the Infogrames UT2003 forums as soon as I hear back from Ryan which is hopefully within the next few days.

Bottom line: we're very close.

Mark Rein,
Epic Games Inc.
Last week I sent an email off to Ryan, the cat that's responsible for porting UT to the Mac platform, to see how the progress on the port was going. He confirmed the same thing that Marc stated above:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

We were waiting around for OSX 10.2.5 to come out, since it has a _lot_ of OpenGL fixes we needed...most notably, on a Radeon, your framerate is literally four times better if you've got 10.2.5 vs 10.2.4 since ATI fixed some issues in their drivers for ut2003...plus a bunch of other little issues and bugs that the new OS update cleans up.

The demo will be out Real Soon Now (days, not weeks), and we'll listen for last-minute bug reports and feedback that the demo generates before sending the full game into manufacturing.

-ryan

Infogrames

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Apr 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

Jedi Knight 2 shipped after Warcraft 3. I would classify it as a major title.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
Jedi Knight 2 shipped after Warcraft 3. I would classify it as a major title.
Very much so.

Of course, NeverWinter Nights is lagging behind a lot to go with UT 2003.

I know how tough it is to port code from Windows to Macintosh when it's been specifically written with the intention that it will never be ported. I'm glad to see that things are happening as well as they are.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 14, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by bousozoku:
Very much so.

Of course, NeverWinter Nights is lagging behind a lot to go with UT 2003.

I know how tough it is to port code from Windows to Macintosh when it's been specifically written with the intention that it will never be ported. I'm glad to see that things are happening as well as they are.
Except that both BioWare and Epic seemed to have the intention of porting NWN and UT2k3 from the start (well maybe not Epic)...but why would they have written the game with code that is difficult to port?

Logically, they would have produced clean, portable code right from the beginning.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2003, 10:35 PM

.Mac offered a lot of games, some of them quite nice.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:
Except that both BioWare and Epic seemed to have the intention of porting NWN and UT2k3 from the start (well maybe not Epic)...but why would they have written the game with code that is difficult to port?

Logically, they would have produced clean, portable code right from the beginning.
They certainly would have, if they knew what to do. Even the best projects go bad.

However, did the person working for Epic have any Mac experience? It didn't sound that way. Perhaps, they said "well, it's just like Linux now" and hired someone who ported Windows applications to Linux.

I was wondering about Bioware. They did their own work on Baldur's Gate II, right? How did it perform? Of course, NWN seems huge in comparison with BG II.

Hope they come soon.

Sebastien
Apr 25, 2003, 06:09 PM

I never enjoy sports games, just do it in real life, more fun.
This begs the question: why do you even play games at all? Why not just do something 'in real life' instead.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Sebastien:
This begs the question: why do you even play games at all? Why not just do something 'in real life' instead.
Yeah, I vote that he should go out and play a nice game of Grand Theft Auto in NYC.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2003, 08:54 PM

The Mac gaming industry is indeed a complete bore right now. The games listed in the begining of the thread are nothing special, and UTK3 is the only thing cool expected, and MacSoft is almost 7 months late now. With UTK4 rumored to be announced for the PC very soon, this only makes us more irritated. The Mac has never been a gaming machine, and I don't ever see it becomming one.

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 09:06 PM

Look flyin Elephants!!!

::Throws dirt clod::

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 12:18 AM

I see there's a clod here.

BurpetheadX:

Did you notice that they were UT2K3 and UT2K4 not UTK3 and UTK4? I would really be upset if those games were late.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by bousozoku:
They certainly would have, if they knew what to do. Even the best projects go bad.

However, did the person working for Epic have any Mac experience? It didn't sound that way. Perhaps, they said "well, it's just like Linux now" and hired someone who ported Windows applications to Linux.

I was wondering about Bioware. They did their own work on Baldur's Gate II, right? How did it perform? Of course, NWN seems huge in comparison with BG II.

Hope they come soon.
The Mac version of BG2 was made by Mumbo Jumbo. FWIW.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 12:20 PM

As much as we all love new games, all we ever play on campus anymore is Starcraft. We've found that many of the people we play with don't have fast enough PCs to run WC3 or any other new game. Its a sad world we live in.

(Plus WC3 is so laggy multiplayer on our Macs. We even pluged two macs directly into each other, and still had issues. The humanity!)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
(Plus WC3 is so laggy multiplayer on our Macs. We even pluged two macs directly into each other, and still had issues. The humanity!)
The network is NOT lagging, it's just your FPS lagging.

iamnid
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 12:39 AM

Agreed, I bought a gamecube for the same reasons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules