Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mine is Ordered !!!

Mine is Ordered !!! (Page 2)
Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 04:40 PM

Wiggles thanks for the info.

I have checked your facts on the IBM site and you are WRONG !!!

Here is the PC you recommend, with the same spec as the new iMac :-

NetVista M41 CTO 6790 Series

NetVista M41 Pentium 4 1.8GHz/256KB,128MB,1.44MB FDD,10/100 Ethernet,Keyboard,Mouse
128MB PC 133MHz CL2 NP SDRAM UDIMM
56k V.90 PCI Modem (Dual Bracket)
IBM DVD-RAM w/ DVD-R (rambo)
60GB ATA/100 7200 rpm (EIDE) Hard Drive
IBM 2-Piece Speakers
32MB NVidia GeForce2 MX AGP Graphics Adapter
Microsoft Windows XP Home

Total Price $1,749.00 USD

Accessories and Options Selected
T545 15.1 inch Hybrid Flat Panel Color Monitor, Black $469.00

TOTAL COST $2218.00

The X series is no better, in fact you can't get the same spec and it's more expensive.

So much for MR PROFESSIONAL !!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Parky ]
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 04:43 PM

PS. I like 'Gay' silver :-)
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 04:59 PM

Also, it's not exactly fair of you to compare a system that has a 1.8 GIGAHERTZ CPU with a system that has a 800 megahertz CPU.

Try configuring the NetVista with an 800 megahertz Celeron or P3. I doubt they even sell those anymore. Sub-1 Ghz CPU's are pretty much entirely deprecated in the PC market.

That speaks volumes as to how much behind the technological curve Apple has fallen. It is really quite sad.

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 05:00 PM

How do you figure that Apple stole the design? I don't see any other hemispherical computers with flat panels on articulated arms. Oh, you mean the all-in-one flat panel design. Yeah, well, if you want to push it...I guess Apple and everybody else are stealing: an enclosure holding the guts of the computer with a separate or semi-separate viewing device. Oooh my!

Go troll somewhere else.

MarkT

[Edited for my many typos]

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: mrtaber ]
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 05:04 PM

No I think you are sad.

You clearly have fallen for the Mhz Myth.

If you want to be lulled into ignorance by PC makers who just pump up Mhz, but still don'y have the same performance as the PowerPC.

OS X has not even entered into this little discussion, never mind the crap that comes out of Microsoft.

I sorry that you can't see past the end of your nose and in fact have your head in the sand.

Go and get a real job, a girlfreind (or boyfriend), and a life

DISCUSSION CLOSED

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Soulblighter G4&gt;:
<STRONG>The new iMac is very cool.

Does it have a fan?

960 ram

wish i got a new imac before the 867 i got oh well have fun with yours</STRONG>
From what I have read, it does have a fan. It would have to with all of those electronics squeezed into something 10.5" across.

MarkT
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the shopping tips, next time you give advice then you should make sure it is complete.

But you see I was looking at like with like, Apple vs IBM prices.

I suppose you need to discount PC's to shift them, we all know Apple kit holds it's value even after it is dicontinued.

In my opinion the IBM is ugly and very old fashioned, it does not take design anywhere at all.

Who really want a black monstrosity on their desk or in the house. It would not suit my house at all.

Take at look at design on the High Street, for god sake Black went out years ago.

It still does not convince me at all, who needs to shop around, configure and bugger about with a PC, when it come from Apple out of the box.

You have clearly failed in your task to find a machine better than the iMac, you have proved it yourself, MUG

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 05:17 PM

I'm partial to "gay silver" myself. I even like "swishy white".

Paco

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Parky:
<STRONG>It still does not convince me at all, who needs to shop around, configure and bugger about with a PC, when it come from Apple out of the box.</STRONG>
If you value price over convenience, you should clearly shop around.

If you value convenience over price, you should have no trouble paying extra for the IBM NetVista, purchased directly from IBM, which pioneered this all-in-one design long before Apple stole it, which comes with an OS that has 900 gazillion more applications and games available, and which has way more reliable support than Apple does.

So you tell me: Do you value price over convenience, or convenience over price?

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 05:53 PM

dear mr wiggles,
i just have to say that you sir, are an ass.
amd in closing, i would like to say, ................dont like macs?....good! more for me!!!

now be gone with you, p.c. troll, and haunt us no more........
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

BannanaFiend
Jan 8, 2002, 06:50 PM

Ok... where to start...
1st: If you think that you cannot also save money from shopping around on macs then you are not very bright.

2nd: If you think that an 800 mhz Celeron is comparable to an 800 mhz g4 then you are still not very bright. A G4 @ 800 mhz ought to comparable to a sub-2ghz p4. The recently announced p4's and Athlons are probably faster than any currently available g4. I anxiously await the new towers to answer this issue.

3rd: You seem to dislike the iMacs by their look. That is no different than basing a purchase on hating the look of beige pc's. To think your method is superior is not very bright.

4th: The new imac, ibook, and titanium powerbook are all outstandingly well priced computers. From my findings they are cheaper than comparable pc's. I recently did a bit of side by side with the new imac and a few pc's. Read this and be enlightened. Perhaps it will make you brighter.

These are the price points for feature parity.

new iMac
extras: nifty enclosure, firewire, better graphics card, installed ram is single dimm

Dell Dimension 4300S
1559 (1.6ghz p4)
1758 "
no comparable model
extras: floppy

new iMac
1799 (w/ 60 gig hd)
extras: nifty enclosure, firewire, single dimm

Dell Dimension 4400
2159 (40 gig drive)
extras: 2x the video memory, ddr memory, floppy, has a few spare pci slots (though add firewire, nic, etc and they disappear)

new iMac
extras: nifty case design, single dimm

MicronPC Millennium
no comparable model
extras: floppy, ddr memory, tv out

The comparison is pretty much the same for the Micron Millenia XP+

All pc's were configured with win xp professional, norton antivirus, and the smallest version of office possible. If you want to see more details then go compare them side by side yourself.

P.S.

(Edit: changed the comparisons to top bottom from left right; it did not show up like I wanted it to)

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: BannanaFiend ]
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 07:32 PM

I dare you to find an iMac for sale for less than $1800 within the next month.

I can easily find a comparable NetVista for much less than that.

Also, where do you get off comparing a 2 GIGAHERTZ machine to a pathetic 800 megahertz? That is like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. They are both cars, but the similarities end there...

What a sad pathetic excuse for a computer the iMac is.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 07:39 PM

Well, because of that, I would like to thank Wiggles, because now I feel even better owning a Macintosh computer.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>Well, because of that, I would like to thank Wiggles, because now I feel even better owning a Macintosh computer.</STRONG>
Because of what?

BannanaFiend
Jan 8, 2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by &lt;wiggles&gt;:
<STRONG>I dare you to find an iMac for sale for less than $1800 within the next month.

I can easily find a comparable NetVista for much less than that.

Also, where do you get off comparing a 2 GIGAHERTZ machine to a pathetic 800 megahertz? That is like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. They are both cars, but the similarities end there...

What a sad pathetic excuse for a computer the iMac is.</STRONG>
Within the next month no perhaps not, as it isn't even out yet. What i would not be surprised to find is catalogs offering free ram upgrades but selling at the same price. There is also the education discount for those who are so lucky. In no place in that comparison did I use a 2 ghz p4. I compared 1.6 ghz p4's to the 700 and 1.7 ghz p4's to the 800 mhz. I you know anything about the actual real world speeds of these chips, then you would know that this is a fair comparison.

Oh, and technically I can find iMacs for far less than 1800 right now. They are still selling the old ones. In fact the higher end old one just had a significant price drop. If you think that in a month or two when these things are out the pc's will have caught up price/feature wise, then do the evaluation then.
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 07:47 PM

Because of nothing.

I just like to see people bitch and moan about how much faster IBM computers are. It's pretty funny, if you ask me.
Go Dogcows!

hayesk
Jan 8, 2002, 07:50 PM

<STRONG>Also, where do you get off comparing a 2 GIGAHERTZ machine to a pathetic 800 megahertz? That is like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. They are both cars, but the similarities end there...
</STRONG>
Hey, the Yugo's engine runs at higher RPMs than the Mercedes. I guess the Yugo must be faster.

I am using Mr. Wiggles' logic of comparing CPU cycles to determine the faster object. Mr. Wiggles: I got it correct, right? More cycles means faster, right?

Tee hee! Mr. Wiggles. I think I had a teddy bear named that once.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 09:03 PM

<STRONG>[IMG]
No, it's just a homo couple proud of its new flashy lamp.</STRONG>
You have got to be kidding me! That shows real maturity!

«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 09:38 PM

Maturity is no virtue in the Mac World, it would seem, after Apple's CEO tried to sell Flower Power and Blue Dalmatian iMacs.

I am proud of my immaturity. I'm just not sure the real wiggles likes to see me steal his unregistered identity.

Sell your Macs. Don't buy PC's, just sell your Macs and get on with your life. wiggles has spoken.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 09:41 PM

[QB]I'm just not sure the real wiggles likes to see me steal his unregistered identity.
QB]
I am...umm...not Jansar. The REAL Jansar is somewhere else. Bloody hell! How did I get his password. Oh, that's right, I am Jansar.
Go Dogcows!

nahaliel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 10:04 PM

skipping past these repetitious, rediculous, and uneducated comment by 'wiggles' to add my own thoughts. You sick son of a bitch. How dare you take Bender's nickname for fry (futurama, for those who don't know), and use it in such a stupid ****ass manner. Your embarassing yourself and proving over and over how ****ing stupid the avg computer user is. That's all you are, avg computer user. Oh, your microsoft certified? I guess that means you know how to use Office? Or troubleshoot windows when it crashes on a daily basis? Good for you, go type a paper on why stupid ****s such as yourself should be treated with little respect. My father is so called "certified" and works at unemployment office maintaing couple 100 computers.. I laugh at his job and can't believe he gets paid over 30 grand a year for it. He doesn't know shit, I'm 15 and I have to help him do his job. I shouldn't say he doesn't know shit, because compared to you he's a friccin genius. Maybe you should go get a job at the unemployment office, spending your day trying to get windows to stay running.
Don't Mess With Texas

<wiggles>
Jan 8, 2002, 10:17 PM

wiggles asks for more. There wasn't enough ego-bashing rhetoric in the last few posts; he can handle much, much more than that.

And the wiggles speaking at the moment has no certification at all, at least not in anything related to the IT industry. He just likes to post meaningless crap on boards filled with mundanities like "my new iMac is ordered", "I still love my old iBook even if there are newer, faster, 2-inches-larger ones as of today" and "Mac OS X is slow, buggy, does not support my Palm correctly but is already the greatest OS ever".

You have failed to intimidate wiggles, yet he knows that you'll be back with more lamentations, unable are you to contain your fury.

Summon the Gods of Written Hatred and let's get it on. Serious offers only.

<wiggels>
Jan 8, 2002, 11:46 PM

I am really sorry everyone. I am only 14 and my teachers say my IQ almost matches my age. My parents won't buy me the Mac I really want.... I have no friends and my pimples and bad breath scare most people away... thats why I spend most of my time annoying others who can't see me for what I really am.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 11:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Do you want a cookie?
Go Dogcows!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 01:42 AM

If wiggles is representative of the other 95% of the market share - I'm glad to be part of only 5%. We all know 95% of everything is crap....

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 01:46 AM

By the way, I'm going to wait until the next rev to order one - I think they're really cool - but I'm going along really well with my 2-year old DV SE (with a 400 MHz G3 that still seems to be as useful as any crappy pentium - even at 2.2 GHz). I suppose if it were a PC, I'd have replaced it twice already, but I think I can get another year or two out of it.

Don't need it right now - so I can wait until the next rev - but I WANT ONE!!!!

VanToffler
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 02:22 AM

Wiggs, you boob.

Don't you get it? We don't want a PeeCee running Windows 98, 2000, XP, or whatever!

See we like Mac OS. We need Apple hardware to run Mac OS, and most of us really like Apple hardware.

OS wars are so 90's dude. Get a life.

<STRONG>Apple stole the design of the new iMac from the IBM NetVista.

The IBM NetVista, launched more than a year before the release of the new iMac, had an all-in-one design including a 15-inch LCD. It came in sleek, stylish black and looked nothing like a make-up mirror. It more closely resembled a unit from the famous sci-fi movie the Matrix.

Once again, I reiterate that the IBM NetVista has been on the market more than a year before the iMac was released. Apple is an industrial design thief. They have obviously run out of ideas so they must resort to stealing ideas.</STRONG>

<Se�or mous�>
Jan 9, 2002, 04:15 AM

I went to Macworld today to look at the new iMacs. I asked an Apple rep. about the fan in the iMac G4. He stated that a fan had to be used, namely because the GeForce card runs too hot for convection cooling! The G4 also runs much hotter than the G3, and plays a role in its requirement for a fan. The only workable solution was to use a fan that ran at variable speeds, but that in no case, would produce higher decibel levels than the internal hard drive (somewhere around 20-25 decibels he guessed).

It was difficult to hear the difference at Macworld, as there was much competition to touch the new iMac, but it will probably end up making the same amount of noise as a current portable. That is one feature that will be missed in the old CRT iMacs. Hardly enough to compensate for G4/GF2/TFT/most ergonimic design.

<wiggles>
Jan 9, 2002, 06:15 AM

Hey, everybody, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy a Netvista!

Because they are GREAT...for me to POOP on!

*sob*

Okay, ok, I KNOW the iMac is WAY BETTER, I just can't bring myself to buy one! Because all of my ignorant 13-year old PC lamer friends would tease me about it!

*sob sob sob*

(psst...hey, does anyone know the location of the nearest Apple Store?)

<wiggles>
Jan 9, 2002, 06:21 AM

<STRONG>wiggles asks for more. There wasn't enough ego-bashing rhetoric in the last few posts; he can handle much, much more than that.

And the wiggles speaking at the moment has no certification at all, at least not in anything related to the IT industry. He just likes to post meaningless crap on boards filled with mundanities like "my new iMac is ordered", "I still love my old iBook even if there are newer, faster, 2-inches-larger ones as of today" and "Mac OS X is slow, buggy, does not support my Palm correctly but is already the greatest OS ever".

You have failed to intimidate wiggles, yet he knows that you'll be back with more lamentations, unable are you to contain your fury.

Summon the Gods of Written Hatred and let's get it on. Serious offers only.</STRONG>

I obviously don't have a girlfriend. Can you tell?

But I handle the loneliness ok. You just have to learn to live inside your own mind.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2002, 06:33 AM

Wiggles, your IP is logged!

Wait a second.

Wiggles, your IP's are logged!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 9, 2002, 09:33 AM

Well, even the homophobic (and not allowed by our Terms of Service, btw) comment aside, I still can't agree with any of the Wiggleses. Style IS important in MANY industries. If economy were the only factor, we would all be driving Honda Civics and Toyota Corrollas, because they are efficient, reliable cars. But lots of people will go and buy a Mercedes or Jag, because they like the style. I'd say that the new iMac is like, say, a Mazda Miata... so unique looking that there will be people who like it, and others who don't.

Now let's say that we chose food by the same standards as Wintel machines. We'd be eating only whole grains, beans, and some supplement pills. But -- imagine this! -- some people enjoy different flavors, and that's why world cuisine has literally millions of different dishes.

So there you have it: the new iMac is a gourmet computer!

tooki

palmberg
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 11:44 AM

<STRONG>What a sad pathetic excuse for a computer the iMac is.</STRONG>
Uh, then don't buy one? What's your point in being here? No matter how cool you think the NetVista is, it runs Windows, and that's just not a viable option for the vast majority of people reading these fora.

So save your breath.

And BTW, the NetVista looks like ass.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

<wiggles>
Jan 9, 2002, 01:51 PM

I have to admit something. I am an idiot. I just have an inferiority complex so I come to these boards to get attention. I actually really like Macs but I woudn't get as much attention if I said that, would I? In fact, I just ordered a new iMac (actually, my Mommy ordered it for me). I'm so excited to get it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by the little punk bitch &lt;wiggles&gt;:
<STRONG>

Bill Gates does not make hardware, you ignorant little twit.
</STRONG>
No, he just certifies it now for much of the industry.
<STRONG>
He makes software.
</STRONG>
and OS's... plenty of them...
<STRONG>
Nobody "owns" the PC hardware market. A thousand and one manufacturers make hardware based on standards that standards bodies agree upon.
</STRONG>
We use most of that hardware as well. Don't start with the "M$ uses standard crap. They don't use standards, they copy standards and make a proprietary version, and I can give several examples.
<STRONG>
The PC hardware market is as free-market as any market can be.
</STRONG>
Yah, we know this... We buy LCD's, RAM, CD-RW, HD's etc for our machines D|CK... We don't call Apple...
<STRONG>
The Mac hardware market is as monopolistic (and overpriced) as can be.
</STRONG>
Just like M$ software...
<STRONG>
Take your pick over quality & choice or an overpriced make-up mirror.
[/BQ]
Grow up.. Being a "professional" IT individual, you should know that Apple hardware is tested 10x times more then their PC counterparts. That's because Apple has a reputation unlike a majority of PC companies that fold every couple of years.

</STRONG>
Can someone block his IP already...

<GyreGimble>
Jan 9, 2002, 05:49 PM

Just wanted to mention that this whole argument about CPU speeds.
I'm not a mac basher (notice I didn't post as wiggles) but do all of you ppl who compare a g4 800 mhz to a p4 1.6 or 1.7 and say they are the same know anything about computing? I mean CPU's?
CPU's are syncrounous machines. Every operation gets run through certain logical gates. Because they are syncrounous the result of every operation has to wait till all the peices of the result come through the gates. So what CPU's do (both G4 and P4) is take the slowest gate and calculate the longest time it takes for a result to be generated by it and save that as a constant MAXTIME (this isn't done with software but with hardware so it isn't really calculated at run time but at chip design).
The idea is that the CPU sends out the input and waits MAXTIME and then pieces together the result. Because it knows that all the pieces will be there by MAXTIME.
Then if you devide 1 second by MAXTIME you get the amount of Calculations (or Operations) a second your machine can make. Otherwise expressed as MHZ. So it doesn't matter how many cool commands your CPU knows (the g4) if one can calculate 800 Million a second and one can calculate 1.6 Billion a second in most CPU intensive operations the 1.6 will win.

<Mr Picky>
Jan 9, 2002, 06:18 PM

Note: the comma in "PC's" dictates posessive grammer. Your mean "PCs" to indicate plural.

A grammer check in any *Mac* program would have picked this up.

<STRONG>Only stupid macheads can be lured to buy such a POS.

As a certified IT professional I know what quality is, that's why I use
PC's. I wouldn't touch this ridiculous POS of a computer with a ten foot pole.

Wiggles
XP Forever</STRONG>

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Mr Picky&gt;:
<STRONG>Note: the comma in "PC's" dictates posessive grammer. Your mean "PCs" to indicate plural.

A grammer check in any *Mac* program would have picked this up.

</STRONG>
That's not a comma, it's called an apostrophe
i Think, therefore iMac.

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 07:16 PM

LOL, I found the comment about the homo's and flashy lamp quite funny.

People, get a grip, get a sense of humor.

When I was a 15 year old kid, I used to argue about this stuff all the time, but it involved many other computers, like the Amiga.

I'm 20 now, and I've learnt a lot, and have grown wiser.
Here is what I learnt:-

At the end of the day it's all a matter of perspective. And when you bring it down to that, it doesn't matter what anybody says.

Arguing Mac vs. PCs is like arguing Christianity vs. Islam, or the Spice Girls vs. The Backstreet Boys etc - pointless.

They are two sides of the same coin, and the deciding factor in the people who choose to pledge to one side is a very personal thing. It is just a question of taste.

But you know what I like to do? Is to keep an open mind, and I think anyone who can't will eventually be only hurting themselves.

<wiggles>
Jan 9, 2002, 07:46 PM

I really stupid.

<Eytee>
Jan 9, 2002, 09:10 PM

wiggles (all of you),

You will just never understand. Macintosh is a lifestyle choice, much being a Vegetarian, Christian, Jewish or Buhhdist. We don't worship Steve Jobs, but we do all follow a similar path down our road to technological fulfilement.

As for Mhz, I believe Steve Jobs put it best when he said "It's no longer a matter of how fast your computer is in sheer speed, it's how fast it can do want you want." Apple would have failed long ago if this wasn't the case. The new iSoftware is the epitome of design genius in engineering the perfect software to allow consumers to perform professional level tasks for free.

I've always preached Macintosh. My friends in high school gave me crap, but I didn't care, much as we don't care about you wiggles. It's my personal choice, along with being vegetarian. No one will change my mind. If I buy a PC, it will be made by me for under $800, but I would still use my Mac more.

Eytee

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
<STRONG>Yep ... just ordered the DVD-Burner model "for the wife" ... to replace her Performa 6400.

She burns lots of DVDs :-)

Bill

=============

iceBook, Yikes</STRONG>
Yep, LOL, I just ordered the superdrive iMac for my wife as well. She wants to burn lots of DVDs Plus I can play with it till the enw towers (G5s) come out.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<whereswade>
Jan 9, 2002, 09:57 PM

<STRONG>Only stupid macheads can be lured to buy such a POS.

As a certified IT professional I know what quality is, that's why I use
PC's. I wouldn't touch this ridiculous POS of a computer with a ten foot pole.

Wiggles
XP Forever</STRONG>
And the security of a mac vs the security of a PC is...hmmm...Well, lets just say that you never hewar of a virus warning for anyone using the mac platform. Oh and what is that latest security snafu re: XP? That any 14yr old with very little knowledge of IT (wiggles is a pro, right? could he do this?) can get into any machine and use it to send viruses, wreak havoc on other computers and systems, AND ITS UNTRACEABLE!!! is this a big concern for Mr. Gates and his CRONIES?? Nah... they know about it, but it isn't a big concern for them as they need to rush this POS XP to market to grab BS Market share with a crap OS that is BLOATED and FULL OF SECURITY HOLES!!!

Not that I care, I have a MAC!

See ya!

<wiggles>
Jan 9, 2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by &lt;whereswade&gt;:
<STRONG>Well, lets just say that you never hewar of a virus warning for anyone using the mac platform.</STRONG>
There are more Mac OS viruses than Linux viruses.

There are more PCs running Linux than all Mac computers combined.

See ya!

<whereswade>
Jan 9, 2002, 10:33 PM

<STRONG>

See ya!</STRONG>
But the original argument centered on...oh yeah. PC's running XP. When did Linux, a very stable but not very user-friendly OS, enter into this thread? When you couldn't back up XP anymore, right?

This is fun.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
<STRONG> I'd say that the new iMac is like, say, a Mazda Miata... so unique looking that there will be people who like it, and others who don't.
tooki</STRONG>
A Mac, a Miata, and me- apologies to Omar Khayyam

<wiggles>
Jan 10, 2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by &lt;whereswade&gt;:
<STRONG>

But the original argument centered on...oh yeah. PC's running XP. When did Linux, a very stable but not very user-friendly OS, enter into this thread? When you couldn't back up XP anymore, right?

This is fun. </STRONG>
I was never championing Microsoft software. I was championing PC hardware over Mac hardware. Anything that runs on PC hardware is fair game.

P.S. Linux is very easy to use as long as you are not a moron.

Parky  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 05:16 AM

Wiggles,

I presume therefore by deduction that you don't use linux !

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2002, 09:17 AM

REEEAAAALLLLYYY�

How many viruses are there for OS X? Anyone?

Way to compare OS's that have a COMPLETELY different target. Linux is SERVER side software. Now if you want to compare the number of viruses for linux vs. Mac OS X server�go ahead, try it.

There are a "GAZILLION" viruses for Windows, which is on 95% of these wonderful marvels of crapnology.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

<NewToMac>
Jan 10, 2002, 12:12 PM

Hi all...

I am a student studying networks. I have been studying about computers for the past 4 years. And of those four years, I have been using PCs. I've programmed in all levels of OOP languages and got my MCSE 2 years back. You can say that I am a PC guy. But on Monday, after managed to sleep at around 2am (waiting for the keynote of Steve), I ordered my new iMac at around 9.30am and decided that this is the way i should have gone way before. Why? for those of you PC owner may ask. I am a programmer and I program for Windows. But why now Mac?

Let me tell you something that I've been able to picked up through my years with PCs.

1. PCs have beautiful standards that just govern everything from nuts to wire types (not that Mac doesn't). This seemed to be the case with the software development side as well. But when a student comes into a programming world, as I did, does it really matter for us to know all this standards? Which seems to be unstandardised. Microsoft has their own standard, IBM has their own and bla bla. Then come IEEE, who, come up with another standard later (a standard which i later found out that only Mac would stick to). I am sick and tired of learning all of this standards, which only seemed to me that these bodies want us (programmers) to use theirs.

Its pathetic I tell you. Whenever I have to program for an organisation, they would ask me, which standard are you going to use/base on? Okay...then I will have to start bitching about all the possible standards that I can RECALLL at that time. And if I don't, I would leave an impression that I don't know what I am talking about. 2 weeks ago, I met up with an old friend. And he programs for Mac OS X, using cocoa. I ask him, what kind of standards do you have to follow? And he told me, just one. Apple standard. I was shocked. Knowing that he might be trying to 'pull my leg'. Then he seriously showed me what he meant and I was into Macs that very day. From that day till this posting, I have been reading up on the Cocoa and Mac OS X books. And I can tell you, I am impressed. Really impressed.

With Windows, the only Graphical User Interface that you are going to get, is a dull color, grayed out tone. And to program for this, we programmers have to be artistic as well. Cause we would have to modal the program colors to a fixed one, if not, a color modal based on Windows would be disastorous (depending on the usage of the program), as users can change these colors easily. And mind you, a text typed in white, would turn out invisible if the user changes the original background color of the modal window to white!!!

When I try the cocoa development tools on my friends computer, even the starting up of the tool already left me drooling. So much care is put into the design interface. Why was these never present in Windows development tools? And we (programmers) don't even have to spend time on coloring our program, as that tasks has been done by Apple already! Its so convenient. I just can't believe how much time I have wasted on development on PCs, Windows.

2. Apple has this thing about right-out-of-the-box experience. And I am beginning to like it. In the computer pool rooms at my uni, each time the computer boots up, lots of gargabe information about how the system is initializing and so on is dumped to the screen. Okay, for my girlfriend's sake, is it neccessary for users like her to see all of this info? I just don't quite get the idea of it. In Mac OS, you don't have this kind of thing. Yeah I know, you can disable it in PC by putting a startup screen. Which only brings to my next point.

3. PCs are the sole soul of every microsoft technician's show-off talent. (I found this out in my first year actually. And have been working with my uni on fixing this dreaded problem.) When a PC boots up and a technician is nearby, he will put his nose high up, and says, "yeah...thats going well isn't it, don't you think?". They want to be praised for their efforts in showing off their skills, which to me is dumb at that time. They need such things to show-off? FOr us to feel their presence? I have submitted 2 projects in my studies and have been spending time on developing the user interface, and had been awarded an A for the them. And those of my classmates who didn't do any better than me, and argued "why he got an A, his program looks so simple, while mine has all the tools and information shown on screen!" My lecturer/supervisor just say this, which I will remember for the rest of my life! "He hide all the complexity from the user and make it looks so easy that my daughter can even use it, which you didn't. Is it nesseccary for those information to be shown? I hate microsoft style!". "I hate microsoft style!" My god. I couldn't believe that he said it to my classmates. That I would remember it.

Even after that incident, I still write for Windows for my coursework, cause my uni doesn't use macs. Now, as I grow older with familiarity of coding, I can tell you student programmers out there who are programming for windows. Drop windows, it'll save you a hell lots of time. You will never know until you try it. Try Mac. And you will see why it changed the course of my programming life!

I hope that Mr. Wiggles will stop pushing PCs around Macs. Cause, to me, I now understand why Macs are still many's favourite! I only wish I knew earlier!

Thank you for spending your time reading this. And my sincere apology to those who are offended with long post. But I really want to share my experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules