Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new imac model #'s & some pure speculation

new imac model #'s & some pure speculation
koffedrnkr
Jul 12, 2001, 12:31 AM

think secret is reporting:

"Mysterious new iMac model numbers at Micro Center. A source told us that four new iMac model numbers appeared in the Micro Center database yesterday -- M8490, M8582, M8492, and M8546 -- with the prices $1029, $1029, $1329, and $1329, respectively. A few calls by Think Secret staffers to major Mac catalogs yielded no results on those model numbers, but calls to various Micro Center locations across the United States confirmed that iMac units with those SKUs were added to its systems yesterday. However, there are no additional details or specs for those units, at the moment. "Just two different iMacs with two different styles? Is this true?" one user asked. However, we also learned that Micro Center marks up prices $30, making the listed prices $999 and $1299."

hmm...only 2 price codes. what's happened to the imac SE? where has it gone? perhaps apple intends to upgrade the specs on 2 traditional imac models while merging the special edition with the cube to produce a new midline model....one with a fanless G4 processor in a new, slim enclosure sporting a nice 15'' or 15.2'' LCD monitor for around $1600. that would be tasty. cha-ching!!!

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 12:51 AM

base price over $1000? I think not....
i Think, therefore iMac.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 12:51 AM

Or it is possible that Apple will release two models of LCD iMac, in two different colors each. This would make sense now that all iMacs have firewire. One could have a bigger hard drive, faster processor, and perhaps more RAM. I think that there is virtually no chance that Apple will release two totally different new iMacs.

<supertaff>
Jul 12, 2001, 06:49 AM

Or...'good' and 'better' crt imacs at lower price and 'good' and 'better' imac2s with lcd at the two higher price points - you pays your money and you takes your pick.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 09:15 AM

If these are the only iMacs then the prices suggest all LCD with a choice of drives (probably DVD or CD-RW) at each price point. I can't believe that a non-LCD low-end iMac would sell for $100 more than the current low-end model. I don't expect G4 iMacs for a while yet - Maybe not until we get G5s in the pro models.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Forum Links
Forum Rules