Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Need advice

I Need advice
davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 06:12 PM

This topic probably belongs elsewhere, but this forum is more active and vital, so bear with me. I have $1,000USD to spend on a digital camera, but don't know much about them other than specs. I am a photographer by education, and I want to make the jump to digital. I'd love to hear real world experiences/recommendations from MacNN posters.

Thanks a million guys and girls!

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

bookrat
Jan 29, 2001, 06:19 PM

davidflas, I guess besides your budget what would be good is to determine what you wish to achieve with digital photography - ie. do you wish to just take happy snaps, look at moving everything to digital, or experiment and eventually incorporate digital technology into your repertoire. There are a wide variety of digital cameras out there and what you wish to do relies a lot on which camera you should get. For example, from what I've gathered, the Ricohs are brilliant for close-ups whereas the Nikons are much better all rounders - or the Canon Digital Ixus is a great little camera to just carry around and experiment with. Here are two sites which may be able to help you move forward in this direction:
http://www.dpreview.com/ http://www.dcresource.com/

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

JonoG4
Senior User
Jan 29, 2001, 06:24 PM

Ok. You give me the $1000USD and i'll pick out a really good camera for you. But seriously the Nikon Coolpix 990 is a great camera for $826.94 at Amazon.com. I recommend you go to Amazon's Digital Camera section. You can see other's reviews on the cameras. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by JonoG4 (edited 01-29-2001).]
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

BMWDrum
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 06:37 PM

I am personally a Kodak fan, but the Nikon 990 is a hot camera. I am going to buy one as a upgrade from my Kodak dc240.

drum

<edit - Oops, said Nikon was Cannon>

[This message has been edited by BMWDrum (edited 02-02-2001).]
Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2001, 06:45 PM

Sony DSC-S70 would be my choice for your budget. $799 (even less if you check shopper.com). At that price you can buy a couple 64 MB memorysticks and still be under you limit.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 06:59 PM

The Nikon CooPix 990 and FujiFilm FinePix 4700 are both excellent cameras for about $1000. Both have great USB driver support too.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Let say more about how I want to use the camera. I already have a Nikon F-100 35mm SLR that I love. I want to use the digital camera as suppliment to, but not as a replacement for it. I'd love to have the D-1, but I don't have the cash.
I'm tempted to go with the Nikon Coolpix 990 because I've been so happy with nikon film cameras that I've had in the past. Keep up the good suggestions.

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mindwaves
Jan 31, 2001, 01:20 AM

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2001, 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Now for some shameless, self interested promotion. I need to sell a loaded the gills G3 upgraded 6400/200 to help raise the money for this camera. Check it out in the Buy/Sell forum. Please?

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules