Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Learning to use a Mac

Learning to use a Mac
BMWDrum
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 07:30 PM

I have been giving Mac training classes to our tech-support area at my office, and I have a question for you all. For all the recent-mac-converts out there, what is the best book out there for teaching the Mac to the truly Windows-oriented person? The staff in tech-support has always used a Windows machine (some never used a computer at all 3 months ago!!!) and the 30 minutes training classes I'm giving doesn't get to cover everything. I got them a iMac in their area, and want a good QUICK reference book that they can browse through.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

drum
Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant.

bookrat
Jan 30, 2001, 09:55 PM

When I used to teach beginners how to use Macs we used to hand out a book called The Little Mac Book which I found to be quite informative and easy to use.

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2001, 10:24 PM

Mabey for the true newbie you could have them start by going through the Mac OS Tutorial on the iMac. It will take them through the very basics and have them perform different tasks so they can get the feel of the OS. I realize this has nothing to do with your book question but just an idea.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2001, 11:57 PM

I bought Mac OS 9 For Dummies for my parents and thought it was so good that I bought a copy for my family too. Also, try Mac OS 9 : The Missing Manual.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 12:21 AM

I love the "For Dummies" series. It is really good. But the best book I ever got was Macworld Mac Secrets by David Pogue.

BMWDrum  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the replys! I totally forgot about the Mac OS tutorial (DUH) and have also purchased the "iMac for Dummy's" book. After glancing through it at the book store, it should be pretty good as a quick reference.

Thanks again

drum

BMWDrum  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 11:58 AM

Ummmmm, does anybody have a clue where I find this Mac tutorial? I can't find it anywhere, harddrive, CD......

drum

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2001, 12:24 PM

With the Finder active, it should be listed in the Help menu ... if you have it at all. I don't have it anymore, so I think it's there out of the box but can disappear if you install new system software.

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2001, 12:38 PM

What about this site? It's relevant and doesn't use paper.

------------------

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2001, 03:18 PM

The Mac OS Tutorial should be in the Apple Extras folder on you Hard Drive. If you can't find it open Sherlock and run a find on tutorial.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2001, 09:48 PM

I'm a research addict. I planned thinking differently a year ahead of time and printed any Mac related .pdf I could find and read them countless times. I also read read read these forums for a good 6 months to see what common problems existed and what they're most frequent solutions were. Oh, I had also used Mac emulators on my Amiga for a good 6 months with system 7.5 too.

Then I sold thte PC, shelved the Amiga and bought the iMac and went like a fish to water.

I love a good home coming.

Darcy

ps:you know you're a research addict when you spend a week researching upright vacuums before purchase.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

ladybird66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
>With the Finder active, it should be listed in the Help menu ... if you have it at all. I don't have it anymore, so I think it's there out of the box but can disappear if you install new system software.

My Mac OS Help is still there, but like you I seem to have lost the Tutorial along the way. Any idea where I could get it again?

------------------
You are better off not knowing how sausages and laws are made.
You are better off not knowing how sausages and laws are made.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by ladybird66:
My Mac OS Help is still there, but like you I seem to have lost the Tutorial along the way. Any idea where I could get it again?
Nope ... I searched my install CDs and came up empty. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear 'em.

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2001, 11:41 PM

The Mac OS Tutorial should be in the Apple Extras folder on you Hard Drive. If you can't find it open Sherlock and run a find on tutorial.
Have you tried the above to find the Mac OS Tutorial?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2001, 04:01 AM

Yes. Sherlock searches said: Nothing on my hard drive. One on my Software Install CD, but it was just some Earthlink thing. Nothing on my OS 9 CD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules