Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > QuickTime picture freeze

QuickTime picture freeze
jszrules
Senior User
Jun 1, 2007, 09:05 PM

Hi, I have QuickTime 7.1.6 and everytime I play a video, the picture freezes after about 30 seconds, but the sound continues normally. This happens with every file type I play (.mov, .avi, etc..) and has only begun within the last week or two, so I am not sure if it has to do with the recent QuickTime updates. Thoughts? Thanks
( Last edited by jszrules; Jun 4, 2007 at 02:02 PM. )

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 4, 2007, 02:02 PM

bump

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 5, 2007, 05:27 PM

I just noticed it does the same thing with .mov files that play in iTunes, but other apps like MPlayer or VLC still play videos fine. It just seems like iTunes and QT have this problem as of about 2 weeks ago.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 09:46 AM

Another observation... This occurs in each user account on my Mac, so it looks like a problem with the applications or some video thing that is common to both applications.

Has no one experienced this or know what to do?
Thanks.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2007, 10:10 AM

It certainly sounds like it was the Quicktime update that did it. (Btw, iTunes uses the Quicktime engine for playback.) Just to be sure, remove everything from your User/Library/Quicktime and Library/Quicktime folders and see if that solves it.

I can't think of any smooth solution to it other than a re-install and a visit to OldVersion.com. If you're feeling adventurous you can get the installer from OldVersion and manually replace the files in System/Library/Quicktime, but odds are something will go wrong.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the response. I tried the first option and that did not solve the issue, so now I'm onto reinstall. When you say reinstall, do you mean to simply re-download the app from apple.com or should i delete everything QuickTime-related on my Mac and then download the app again?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 09:52 PM

Just trashed anything QuickTime-related in both Library folders along with the QT app itself. Then Re-downloaded QT 7.1.6 from apple.com and restarted the comp. PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS! What is going on?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2007, 05:06 AM

Actually I was talking about re-installing the OS itself.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2007, 11:45 AM

Gotcha. I'd like to try and avoid that, though. It's only 1 app that's screwing up, is there no way to narrow this down? Thanks.

crlt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2007, 08:53 PM

I, too, am having trouble with my iMac and video. It doesn't matter if it is Quicktime, iDVD, or iMovie, they are all freezing just a short time (few seconds) into the video- the audio continues fine, but I am stuck on one frame. I have reinstalled iMovie (although that was when I thought it was just iMovie that was messing up) and have also run repair through disc utilities. It makes it pretty difficult to edit since I am only seeing one picture most of the time. Something that might help- I was downloading a video and the computer warned me that I needed more disk space, but I have over 100 gigs available. Is it possible that the program somehow thinks I am out of hard drive space? This all started within the last week. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2007, 08:13 AM

What version of Quicktime?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 12:01 AM

Another observation that might help narrow this down: I was able to stream the WWDC keynote in QuickTime 7.1.6 on my Mac without any errors. Hope that helps. I appreciate any additional thoughts people can give...

crlt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 01:13 AM

I am using quicktime 7.1.6. I am also able to play the keynote speech without any problem, but I just can't play any of my personal videos in quicktime, iMovie, or iDVD without the freezing problem. I am on an older iMac running 10.4.9. I have 800 MHZ, 768 ram, and over 100 gigs of memory. The videos have all played perfectly in the past, but now... Not sure what is going on.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 18, 2007, 11:41 AM

The problem seems to exist in my iMovie, as well. My iMac is also 800 MHz, running 10.4.9, with a good amount of space left. Any suggestions on how to fix this "quicktime engine" since re-installing quicktime doesn't seem to work aside from re-installing the entire OS?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 01:37 PM

Try starting up your computer while holding down the shift key (safe boot) - this will temporarily disable all third party extensions to the system until the next time you start up (without holding down the shift key). Does that enable you to play QT content properly?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 11:52 AM

While this problem occurs when I play .mov or .avi files from my computer or the web (like Apple movie trailers for example), I noticed that it does NOT happen when I play .mpg files from the web, which seem to play normally. CRLT, have you noticed this behavior as well?

I have not yet tried the safe boot, but if anyone has any more suggestions, please keep them coming. This appears to be a recent problem experienced by a good amount of users as I have already seen another thread on this exact same topic. Thanks again.

simthylacine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 02:45 AM

i'm having the same problem: quicktime 7.1.6 freezes when playing .mpg .mov & .wmv m4a files - and also freezes in itunes (so i can't play any of my purchased video clips). i did not have this problem with the earlier version of quicktime. VERY ANNOYING. i'm running mac os x 10.4.9 on a g4 800 mhz 80gb - lots of hard drive space left.

does anyone know if apple is aware of this issue?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 03:36 AM

Has anyone tried doing a safe boot yet? If the issue disappears then it is due to a third party extension to your system. If that is the case, then you can all try to narrow it down to which one it is as you must have it in common.

However, if a safe boot doesn't help, then it could be something hardware specific or language specific or mystery factor X.

Devastatin Dave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 02:38 PM

I was having the same problem, but I managed to turn up a solution that seems to be working.

I'm on OS X 10.4.10
Quicktime 7.1.6
Flip4Mac 2.1.2.72

Posted by AndrewD at the Flip4Mac Community forum.
Google cache cause I couldn't access it straight from google.
Flip4Mac Community Forum - Video freezes

"My bad, I've been using Tiger so long I had almost forgotten Panther... My apologies.

Anyways, the files will be located in your home folder/Library/Preferences/ they should be named something along the lines of net.telestream.wmv.xxx.plist

There also might be some in Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ that have a similar naming convention.

Delete those and then reinstall. "

Hope it helps!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 11:49 AM

Devastatin Dave - I tried that solution a couple weeks ago and it did not fix the problem. I had not expected it to work, either, since this issue affects more than just .wmv files. Thanks for the idea, though.

JKT - I booted up in Safe Mode and the problem no longer existed! (I could only test .mov files because of the Safe Mode nature of not being able to use 3rd-party software for .avi's, etc... but I assume that since the .mov's worked, .avi's would be OK, as well.)

So now the question becomes how do I find which 3rd-party software is causing this problem?? As I stated above, I already got rid of Flip4Mac-related stuff so I don't think it's that. What 3rd-party extensions do the rest of you who are experiencing this same problem have?

After rebooting back in "regular" mode, when I now play .avi's in QuickTime, there is just sound with a white screen…the video doesn't even start. This did not happen before. Perhaps this indicates something?

Could the DivX codec add-on be the problem causing all of this?

simthylacine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 10:22 AM

hey to let the readers here know - this is also being discussed on the apple forum (but as yet no definitive solutions there either)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....884810#4884810

Devastatin Dave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 10:47 PM

Just thought I would let you all know that the previous solution seems to have worn off. I wasn't having any problems after performing the above operation, but quicktime seems to be back to it's old self, freezing videos anywhere between 15 & 45 seconds.

FYI I'm also on a 700MHz G4.

Devastatin Dave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 10:55 PM

After reviewing the beginnings of the thread here:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Workaround for 7.1.6 video freeze ...

I think I may have let the computer sleep at some point during the preceding procedure giving me the false hope that the problem was solved. Forcing the computer to sleep helped tonight so I will keep you posted on how this method works out...

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2007, 11:56 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like the new QT 7.2 finally got rid of this bug. Amen and good riddance. Thanks for everyone's help.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 06:17 PM

Sorry, I was away when you posted your question to me - the DivX plug-in could most definitely have been the source of the problem. Even if the issue is no longer present with QT 7.2, make sure you have the latest version of DivX installed, or remove it in favour of Perian.

mandmowichita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 01:12 PM

Our QuickTime won't play from most web sites. Some formats (probably .wmv) will play when they arrive in an email, but on web pages, the QT logo dims and a white question mark appears over it.

We are using a MacBook w/OS 10.4.8 (I think) and connecting to our ISP via a home wireless network. Downloaded the latest QT and upgraded to Pro about two months ago.

Our old iMac, connected directed via cable to the ISP modem - works fine.

Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules