Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5th time is the charm no white spots!

5th time is the charm no white spots!
Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 01:07 AM

I went through 3 15inch 1.25 al Powerbooks and opted for the 17 inch model. Well yesterday my girlfriend wanted to get a new Powerbook to replace her aging Ibook. Having been through 3 15's I was not going to get her one. She liked the 12 inch but it was too small. Back to the 15 again.. well we bought another one and low and behold it had one white spot, only this time it was in the upper left hand corner. We returned it to the apple store today and after a brief conversation with the manager he opted to give us another 15. This one is PERFECT, no white spots, all the keys on the keyboard are level, latch is perfect, and the case does not creak.
These last two 15 inchers feel "different" the build quality is on par with my 17 inch. It seems like whatever assembly issues apple had are now corrected.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 01:16 AM

Give it a few days...
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 01:18 AM

wow. 1:5 ratio to get a perfect PB. i hope apple properly fix this problem soon. and yeah...it might show up after a few days. keep your fingers crossed.
Ryan

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
Give it a few days...
Yes I know, one of the other four I had took a little while to show spots. This one does seem like it's put together differently. When you press on the display it does not"show" in the same postions as the first 3 I had. This leads me to believe that the spacers are in different postions.

ProLyfic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:47 AM

How did you get the 17? Did you tell Apple taht you wanted an upgrade? Or did they just give you back the money?

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by ProLyfic:
How did you get the 17? Did you tell Apple taht you wanted an upgrade? Or did they just give you back the money?
The first time around after the third, I complained to the manager (in a very nice way) and they said I could pay the difference and get the 17inch model.
As long as you are within your 10 days of purchase I do not think this would be a probelm.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 03:00 AM

I too am on my 5th unit.

I notice that on this unit, I push slightly on the back of the case and don't see any kind of pressure points on the LCD as was the case with all 4 of my previous units.

I hope this is a good sign.

I and other people are wondering about your serial number also...

Here's my report:
#6 - V73432Z (white spots, 3 dead pixels) - 11/3 , sent out for repair on 11/11
#5 - V7340HH (white spots) - 10/31
#4 - V73421A (white spots) 10/23
#3 - V7340HE (white spots) 10/17
#2 - V7340GW (white spots) 10/8
#1 - V733870 (bad airport extreme connector for my unit) 10/4

I've left out the whole serial number for obvious reasons.
( Last edited by RealMac; Nov 14, 2003 at 03:48 PM. )
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

aktive
Nov 3, 2003, 07:49 AM

Apple really needs to sort this problem out. I keep toying with the idea of getting a new 15" Albook, but I'm scared of the white spots.

Maybe one day....
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by aktive:
Apple really needs to sort this problem out. I keep toying with the idea of getting a new 15" Albook, but I'm scared of the white spots.

Maybe one day....
I'm also waiting for word of a fix before buying. It will be my first Mac so I want it to be high quality.

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 02:43 PM

I take the lack of LCD flexing showing the pressure points as a good sign. These pressure points showing up have been discussed now and then, and are really the only way I can see for us to predict the onset of white spots.

I'm itching to call for my replacement, but I'm going to keep listening to y'all, specially art_director and mainemax. Hourly reports would be nice.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 02:33 PM

I'm on my 6th unit which was in turn sent in for white spots. Hopefully the issue will finally be solved.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules