Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shuffle iDiot: Does anyone try and scroll the Shuffle?

Shuffle iDiot: Does anyone try and scroll the Shuffle?
echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 03:48 PM

Hi All,

So, I just got back from the Cambridgeside Galleria mall here in Boston and was one of only 6 people who got the new 1GB iPod Shuffle. Yup, they only had six total, not sure if they had the 512MB. It sucked cause my friend didn't get one......

So, I have a quick question for seasoned iPod owners....
Has anyone tried, without thinking about it, to scroll the controls?

What I mean is that when you're holding it for the first time, do you try and rotate around the controls, to turn the sound up? LOL! I did this for the first several minutes when I was testing it out....... Old habits die hard.

If you think I'm a complete idiot, or dont understand, it's akin to when the power goes out in your house. Yet, when you're walking around with a flashlight (like leaving the bathroom) you try and shut off the light without thinking about it. Then think, wow, that was stupid..

Also, I just dropped my Shuffle.... -But. I don't care, cause it's so light, no scratches. Has flash memory, no skip or damage. Just kept writing this without caring nor watching after it. I LOVE THE SHUFFLE!

OK, now for those still reading this, I have a sob story........

My friend from England is in Boston. He deicides to come with me to get one of the new Shuffles for his girlfriend.

Now, mind you that it's 2 degrees outside (feels like degative 15 degerees fahrenheit) and it's 6:30am when we walk to the bus to get to the mall. We wait outside the store for an hour (we got there at 8am, opens at 9am) to get the Shuffle.

He wanted to buy it for his girlfriend for Valentine's Day.

There is one person waiting there since 6am. By 9am there are 20 people. When the gate opened, this (sorry) biatch who arrived after us cuts my friend off and buys one, no, wait, she says after a second, two of them! My friend who was polite enough to let her cut through got shafted, no gift for his girlfriend. THAT SUCKED!

He didn't say a word when the employee told him, "sorry sir, that was our last one..". (luckily, I was in front of the girl when the gate opened and got mine. I'm listening to it now, but feel damn guilty). He just left, I tried to stop him, but he politely said that he needed to be alone.

I tried to call him, but his roommate said he was out....... That really was not cool of the girl to cut him off and then buy two... Anyway, if anyone can understand this situation or if it happened to you to, drop Jon a note of condolence, I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Especially given that he is a PC user, and this was my first chance to switch him to the Mac. I figure that if I show him that most Mac users aren't like that girl, maybe he'll change his mind and still think about switching. As this instance sure as hell didn't......

Thanks All! ~Echo

***Note: Good point about the email I guess, but it's his work address and we have damn fine spam filters.****
( Last edited by echosphere; Jan 30, 2005 at 09:39 AM. )
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 04:53 PM

remember, iPod user does not equate with Mac user. Chances are high that she wanted an iPod (or two, apparently) but has no interest in Macs.

Hope it works out for him to get one before valentine's day.

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 04:58 PM

ouch. nice guys finish last. your friend should have been thinking about taking care of his girlfriend instead of doing the right thing and not letting that biatch cut in front of the *others* in line. oh well, it's nothing a few dozen roses couldn't fix.
G5 Dual 2.0 | 23" Cinema HD | 12" PowerBook G4 1.33 superdrive | 12" iBook G3 900 | clamshell iBook 366 | iPod shuffle 1G

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 08:56 PM

thanks for the kind word folks. Yeah, probably wasn't a Mac user....

Still pisses me off thinking about, hope she gets a virus, soon.

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 12:11 AM

a computer virus, right?
G5 Dual 2.0 | 23" Cinema HD | 12" PowerBook G4 1.33 superdrive | 12" iBook G3 900 | clamshell iBook 366 | iPod shuffle 1G

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 12:37 AM

Why didn't you sell him yours if he was so bummed out?
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 12:58 AM

I tried, several times. But he wouldn't take it. The same type of person who's curteous enough to let a women cut in line and not make a stink about it, is the same type of person who wouldn't take his friends new toy I guess. With help, we'll get one for his girlfriend before V-Day, I hope.

It's not about the iPod per se, it's more about the principle of the matter.

Damn, I swear, no has any manners in this fscking town, I can't wait to move back to the west coast.....I find New Yorkers to be more friendlier than these morons. And yeah, I meant a computer virus, she already has one most likely, it's called Windows...

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 01:20 AM

Does anyone else feel fifteen reading this thread?
I, ASIMO.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 02:03 AM

if they still have 'em in san francisco, i'd get one for him ... i wonder if they are still avaliable.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Does anyone else feel fifteen reading this thread?
Like, totally. LOL.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jan 28, 2005, 01:20 AM

People are jerks.

I have seen several people that force their way into lines or conveniently arrive in the back, nod at their friends, and coast up to the front without a "thanks" or "sorry".
Unfortunetly, these situations are unavoidable in life so sometimes you have to take a stand and say (with George McFly voice) "hey you, get your damn hands off that iPod Shuffle!"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by echosphere:

Especially given that he is a PC user, and this was my first chance to switch him to the Mac. I figure that if I show him that most Mac users aren't like that girl, maybe he'll change his mind and still think about switching. As this instance sure as hell didn't......
Excuse my harsh words, but YOU, SIR, ARE AN IDIOT !

Why didn't you give your friend your Shuffle that you just got.
If you cared so much for him, that would have been a real solution and made a real difference.

But instead, you are posting his email in a public forum and ask for emails, which is TOTALLY unacceptable

-t

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Excuse my harsh words, but YOU, SIR, ARE AN IDIOT !

Why didn't you give your friend your Shuffle that you just got.
If you cared so much for him, that would have been a real solution and made a real difference.

But instead, you are posting his email in a public forum and ask for emails, which is TOTALLY unacceptable

-t
easy there, he did say he offered. it's not his problem anyway but so what if he brings it up here. someone else could learn from it (not me, though, cause i'm not an idiot. sir).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by T. Diddy:
easy there, he did say he offered. it's not his problem anyway but so what if he brings it up here. someone else could learn from it (not me, though, cause i'm not an idiot. sir).
I don't find that in his post.

And still: He is an idiot for posting his friend's email !

-t

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 07:37 PM

-t
LOL. true, but he is forgiven in my mind... i got a few kicks out of his story!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by T. Diddy:
LOL. true, but he is forgiven in my mind... i got a few kicks out of his story!
Just imagine this story happened to you.
And suddenly, you get consolation mails from people you have never heard of. WTF ?

An old German saying goes like this:
"If you have friends like this (echosphere), you have no need of enemies !"

-t

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 11:56 PM

Thanks to those with the kind remarks. To the others, wow, what a sense of community you seem to have in your head....

Turned out that one of the girls who works at the Apple Store who chatted with us while we waiting for the opening (and subsequently heard my pathetic sob story later) called last weekend to say thatt she was able to hold one for my friend. So nice that there are good people out there.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:03 AM

-t
read the entire thread.

I tried, several times. But he wouldn't take it. The same type of person who's curteous enough to let a women cut in line and not make a stink about it, is the same type of person who wouldn't take his friends new toy I guess. With help, we'll get one for his girlfriend before V-Day, I hope.
iamwhor3hay

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 12:37 PM

maybe if you give her your Shuffle you can score the girlfriend.
j/k

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 06:15 PM

No you're not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules