Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17 - To buy or not to buy - that is the question!

Powerbook 17 - To buy or not to buy - that is the question!
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2005, 04:04 PM

I posted this in another topic, but sow no response - so here is its own topic...

I was thinking about getting a Powerbook as an additional computer for my home - (my wife has been hogging our windows notebook, and the I don't like using my work laptop for personal use at home - even though I am doing just that as I type this). I saw one that was being sold at a local auction for a company that got busted. I turned it on, and immediately caught the bug. I have messed around with Linux, and as a result, I find OSX intriguing.

I am torn, however, by the fact that some people who say they are underpowered compared to windows machines, and even compared to the Powermac G5's and dual G5's.

I suspect that the majority of the stuff I will do with it will be surfing, email, office apps (either MS or openoffice) some DVD burning (maybe trying it out as an HD recording device with the DVHS emulator via Firewire).

I was planning on waiting for Tiger (and probably woult not order until it is announced), and maybe even waiting for the G5 Powerbooks. I still wonder if it is worth waiting for.

I am also torn between the 15" and 17" versions. The laptop I am typing this message on is a Dell Precision M70 "mobile workstation". It has a 15" widescreen, and native res of 1680x1050. I am really liking the sharpness of this screen and the extra screen space, but the text size is starting to give me eyestrain when I wear contact lenses - it is better when I wear my glasses. The screen on the 17" I assume would be just about right for me, since the resolution is a bit less, at 1440x900, but the screen is 2 inches larger. I am thinking it would be a bit awkward from a size perspective. I don't think i would travel much with it...

Finally, how well does Openoffice work for those of you who use it (and share files with MS office users)?

If I buy now, I would probably buy the 17" in the stock configuration with the Educational discount (wife is a student until August). I would then pick up a stick of 3rd party RAM - wither a 512MB or a 1GB stick. Also thinking about a HD upgrade to 7200rpm, but I would probably skip that step.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any feedback.

Thanks,
Jeff

jknight8907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 05:19 PM

Usually people say that Apple products are slow because they only look at the processor speed and take that to be the only variable as far as speed is concerned. A PowerBook will be more than adequate for the needs you describe.

I would go ahead and wait on Tiger, it should be out within the month or so. I would NOT wait on the G5 PBs. It'll be a while until we see them, and the first model will probably be a hot/low battery life machine. That is, if there is ever a G5 PowerBook. The more likely solution will be a G6 or a G5m.

I tried OpenOffice for a while and didn't like it. It was complex to learn the new system and not terribly easy to get it right so that the files would be compatable with MS Office. I would reccommend getting Office X for Mac, it's Microsoft Office, but for OS X.

If you plan to use an external screen with the PB I would get the 15", so it would be smaller to use away from the desk. But then again you may love the extra screen space of the 17" regardless of the added size. The best bet would be to go to an Apple Store and try out both of them to see what you like best.

The PowerBook will last you for quite a while, so when you BTO it, go ahead and max out things that can't easily be changed aftermarket. This means the hard drive. Go ahead and get the 100GB option (standard on the 17").

As for RAM, it never hurts to have more, and a 1GB stick can be had for under $200 if you get it from someone other than apple. Check out www.newegg.com and search for PC2700 (DDR333) RAM.

Hope that helps a little...
Jonathan

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 05:25 PM

I've been using my 1ghz 17" everyday for over 2 years as my desktop replacement ever since my G4 400 died (I'm waiting for a 3ghz dual G5 ).

I have an older external keyboard, and a 22" cinema monitor. On some days I use the laptop downstairs while sitting with the dogs.

I have traveled with the 17, it's a bit big, and it's heavy. If I were on the road all the time I would go with the 15. Still, the 17 gives me a nice sized video monitor for DVDs when I'm on the road.

The computer is solid. I can use any computer in the world and I choose to use a Mac. I frequently have tons of apps open (try watching MPEG video, burning a DVD, transferring files to/from digital camera, backing up the drive with Retrospect, surfing the net, and writing correspondance in Adobe Indesign all at the same time. ROCK SOLID.

If you can wait, wait for Tiger. If you want to start being productive with your life, get the PB(!)
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2005, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the quick replies...

My biggest concern is that I will get the 17" G4 and then a month or two later, they announce the G5's. I know that isn't likely, but I would not be surprised considering my luck.

I will play the waiting game here until they announce Tiger, and then wait a bit longer until I can appropriate the funding from my wife

I might even spend the $150 for MS Office for Students/Teachers. That might be a tough sell...I will probably have to wait on that part of the deal for a while.

I would really like to get a look at a 17" firsthand, but the only Apple Stores are on the other side of Michigan (near the Detroit area). I have seen one of the 1.25" 15" models firsthand - it was what they had at the auction. The screen seemed nice, but to get the 15" to the same specs (mem, HD, and videocard), it would only cost about $120 more to get the bigger screen on the 17". I think the screen would be worth the added money. I tried to give myself an idea of the size by holding a tape measure up to the laptop I am typing this on. It just didn't seem much bigger considering the 2" jump in screen diagonal size.

The nice thing about the 17" is the fact that they are basically maxed out with the exception of the RAM (and that can be found cheaper - I already have my eyes on a few sources for that.

Thanks again,
Jeff

jknight8907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2005, 07:43 PM

I wouldn't worry about the G5 update. It will most likely be a while, and if you always wait for the next update, you won't ever have a computer...

Also, having a stable late-generation G4 would, IMO, be better than a possibly buggy first-generation G5.
Jonathan

osxisfun
Apr 2, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by jknight8907:
I wouldn't worry about the G5 update. It will most likely be a while, and if you always wait for the next update, you won't ever have a computer...

Also, having a stable late-generation G4 would, IMO, be better than a possibly buggy first-generation G5.
yah. i don't see an update until sept. (but i have no insider knowledge) now tag on a month for delivery etc...

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2005, 01:42 AM

Jeff,

I wouldn't worry about the G5 PB for some time. Get the PB at a Comp USA in your area. They have a 21 day return policy with no restocking fee and they could re-ring the sale after Tiger is announced. That would then qualify you for the "Up to Date" program Apple has done in the past. What is the nearest Comp USA to you? They have ASC's (Apple Solutions Consultants) and they would be an even better resource than the Apple Store IMHO.

I have the new 17" PB (I've had every one since they have come out) and I love this new one! The backlite keyboard is a big improvment and the 2 finger scroll is awesome! As for the office... you could get either AppleWorks or iWork instead at $69 and $79 respectively and save some money. They'll both open and save as word docs.

Be sure and get the AppleCare with your PowerBook. It's worth it!

Good Luck!

Steve

Originally posted by spiff72:

My biggest concern is that I will get the 17" G4 and then a month or two later, they announce the G5's. I know that isn't likely, but I would not be surprised considering my luck.

I will play the waiting game here until they announce Tiger, and then wait a bit longer until I can appropriate the funding from my wife

I might even spend the $150 for MS Office for Students/Teachers. That might be a tough sell...I will probably have to wait on that part of the deal for a while.

I would really like to get a look at a 17" firsthand, but the only Apple Stores are on the other side of Michigan (near the Detroit area). I have seen one of the 1.25" 15" models firsthand - it was what they had at the auction. The screen seemed nice, but to get the 15" to the same specs (mem, HD, and videocard), it would only cost about $120 more to get the bigger screen on the 17". I think the screen would be worth the added money. I tried to give myself an idea of the size by holding a tape measure up to the laptop I am typing this on. It just didn't seem much bigger considering the 2" jump in screen diagonal size.

The nice thing about the 17" is the fact that they are basically maxed out with the exception of the RAM (and that can be found cheaper - I already have my eyes on a few sources for that.

Thanks again,
Jeff

beachmark
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2005, 04:22 AM

Since July 2003 I am working with a 17 inch coming from a 15 inch titanium and i cannot live without the size anymore.

As far as G4 versus G5 i would recommend to make alisting of what you want to do with the computer and decide. I however cannot imagine that the current G4 will be hopelessly outdated once the G5 will arrive (if ever). The current G4 models blow away many of their competitors in the market.

I use MS Office for MAC because i experienced that it does a good job for little money.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 06:51 AM

The EDU discount on powerbooks is a pretty big one, so buying at a store might not be a good idea...

Waiting until tiger sounds like a plan, and while you're at it, see if you can wait until NAB (april 16th) -- there's a *small* rumor in the works about 17" 1920x1200 (not too sure) screns being an option in the 17"
Aloha

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 12:11 PM

The original question about what to by, when to buy is like so many on these boards. I'm as nerdy as the next guy (degrees in Physics and Electrical Engineering), and I love new tech stuff. But the fact is that product development is an ongoing thing and whenever/whatever you decide to buy will be made obsolete within 6 months to a year. Welcome to the world of technology.

I had been a Mac user since the 512K Fat Mac in '85. Left the Mac platform in disgust in the late '90's (around OS 7.6 time frame) and returned a year and a half ago with an iMac and OS X. I use the iMac extensively and am once more a strong Apple advocate.

While I've been carrying Windows portables for years, my great experience after returning to the Mac-side convinced me to purchase a fully loaded PB15 last month and I couldn't be happier. I am still using the stock 512 MB RAM and it works fine for my needs. It runs the Mac Office 2004 suite fine (I use Entourage instead of Mail because I like the project center), the graphics performance and screen resolution are great and I have no complaints other than the fact that the machine runs hot and you need some kind of thermal barrier if you are to sit it on your lap for an extended period. (All laptops feel hot, but this PB feels hotter than the Dells and HPs I've been using)

I too debated the PB 15" vs. PB 17" decision and ultimately chose the 15 because it is more portable and the screen size is still pretty large (personal choice). This is, without a doubt, the best laptop I've ever used.

My advice, go for the current G4 PB, it is an excellent value. I've found nothing (save for the heat) to complain about. It's just a great, well implemented machiine! And Apple will likely replace it by the end of the year.

BTW, I'll probably upgrade to Tiger at some point, but I'm a little wary of initial releases of major OS changes. I would wait for 10.4.2 or so, but again, this is a persoal choice.

DylanG
Apr 4, 2005, 12:52 PM

I am also torn between the 15" and 17" versions. The laptop I am typing this message on is a Dell Precision M70 "mobile workstation". It has a 15" widescreen, and native res of 1680x1050. I am really liking the sharpness of this screen and the extra screen space, but the text size is starting to give me eyestrain when I wear contact lenses - it is better when I wear my glasses. The screen on the 17" I assume would be just about right for me, since the resolution is a bit less, at 1440x900, but the screen is 2 inches larger.
The 15 and 17 inch PB's have about the same DPI (dots per inch) so they will be about the same with regard to text size and eye strain. Don't let that impact your decision. It's a question of whether the increased screen real estate is worth the size and price tradeoff. But both will be equally comfortable to view.

I also have a Windows laptop with a 15" widescreen at 1680x1050. I liked it at first but over time I've found it tiring on my eyes. I have the 15" PB and I'm very happy with the screen. For years my primary resistance to buying Apple laptops was the relatively low resolution. But I think my eyes have degraded and now I find Apple displays to be just right.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 01:23 PM

I have basically chosen the 17" (and the wifey wants a 12" ibook). For $120, I think it is worth the increase to bump up to the 17"...

Now, I am simply waiting for the announcement of Tiger before I pull the trigger.

I want to make sure I am eligible for the $20 upgrade on both 'books.

Getting very anxious to order here!!

Thanks,
Jeff

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 10:32 PM

I have basically chosen the 17" (and the wifey wants a 12" ibook). For $120, I think it is worth the increase to bump up to the 17"...

Now, I am simply waiting for the announcement of Tiger before I pull the trigger.

I want to make sure I am eligible for the $20 upgrade on both 'books.

Getting very anxious to order here!!

Thanks,
Jeff
You should read my previous post in this thread. If you buy it at Comp USA they have a 21 day return policy and they'll re-ring the sale to qualify you for your rebate. Be sure to ask if they have a problem with this, but it shouldn't make a differnece.

Steve

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 10:42 PM

You'll love the 17. It's my only computer at home and it does what I need it to (I have 1.5GB of ram for design work). And I do travel with it and haven't had any problems.
Just make sure you get enough ram. No sense handicapping yourself with such a great machine with not enough ram.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by SMacSteve:
You should read my previous post in this thread. If you buy it at Comp USA they have a 21 day return policy and they'll re-ring the sale to qualify you for your rebate. Be sure to ask if they have a problem with this, but it shouldn't make a differnece.

Steve
I am going with the apple store to get the educational discount. Otherwise I would be there in a heartbeat. It is a $300 savings on the 17", and maybe $100 or so on the ibook. Plues applecare is discounted by about $130 on the powerbook.

Seems worth it!

Thanks,
Jeff

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 11:08 PM

I am going with the apple store to get the educational discount. Otherwise I would be there in a heartbeat. It is a $300 savings on the 17", and maybe $100 or so on the ibook. Plues applecare is discounted by about $130 on the powerbook.

Seems worth it!

Thanks,
Jeff
That's a no brainer if your a student. But, if your not then the Comp USA is the way.

S

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by SMacSteve:
That's a no brainer if your a student. But, if your not then the Comp USA is the way.

S
Wife is the student - I am just getting a free (cheap actually) ride.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 11:29 PM

Ohh, I'm tell'n!

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 08:02 AM

Perhaps I should have clarified:

cheap, in comparison to other Macs! Not that cheap, otherwise...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:16 PM

Seems worth it!

Thanks,
Jeff
You can only purchase one system per academic year (July 1 - June 30) with an educational discount--whether it be a laptop or desktop. You may have to pay full price on the iBook--or wait till July 1st.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
You can only purchase one system per academic year (July 1 - June 30) with an educational discount--whether it be a laptop or desktop. You may have to pay full price on the iBook--or wait till July 1st.
Do they actually enforce that though? Though I am currently a student, I'm pretty sure they don't verify anything when I order online.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Hmmm.

That is news to me. It allowed me to put both of the items in my cart throught that education Apple store.

Can anyone else verify that this is the case?

Would I have better luck if I ordered them separately? I might do this anyway - PB first, then the iBook once it is updated (if it is updated).

Thanks,
Jeff

osxisfun
Apr 5, 2005, 01:11 PM

Hmmm.

That is news to me. It allowed me to put both of the items in my cart throught that education Apple store.

Can anyone else verify that this is the case?

Would I have better luck if I ordered them separately? I might do this anyway - PB first, then the iBook once it is updated (if it is updated).

Thanks,
Jeff
I've heard this too.

Find 2 apple stores close together. Buy one. then race to the other store and buy the other

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
I've heard this too.

Find 2 apple stores close together. Buy one. then race to the other store and buy the other
Uh oh...

My plan is falling apart!

I am fishing in another thread to see if this is something others have heard of...

Bummer if it is true. I couln't find anything on the apple site about this.

Thanks,
Jeff

jknight8907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 05:09 PM

Uh oh...

My plan is falling apart!

I am fishing in another thread to see if this is something others have heard of...

Bummer if it is true. I couln't find anything on the apple site about this.

Thanks,
Jeff
It's true. You can find the details on the Shopper's Agreement page after you choose your school.
Jonathan

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Yeah it's true, they limit you to one class of discount, but since you're in school, I suggest doing this ESPECIALLY since you're getting a powerbook anyway.

Go to http://developer.apple.com/students/ and join as a student developer, it costs $99 BUT if you're getting a 15" or 17" powerbook the discount you get will be more than worth it... In the process they'll ask you to mail in a report card or something -- the store link is below, you can order the PB from there..

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

Then you SHOULD still be able to order your ibook from the regular EDU store..
Aloha

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Yeah it's true, they limit you to one class of discount, but since you're in school, I suggest doing this ESPECIALLY since you're getting a powerbook anyway.

Go to http://developer.apple.com/students/ and join as a student developer, it costs $99 BUT if you're getting a 15" or 17" powerbook the discount you get will be more than worth it... In the process they'll ask you to mail in a report card or something -- the store link is below, you can order the PB from there..

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

Then you SHOULD still be able to order your ibook from the regular EDU store..
I saw that, it did look like the discount would be significant, but I noticed the Applecare discount didn't exist there. The 17" powerbook was $2159, though. That is $240 less than the student discount.

I am a little confused by the "rules" associated with the developer criteria. She is a student working on a degree in E-Commerce. Do they require that she is taking/has taken programming/CSCI classes? She has taken a VB class, server side scripting, HTML, JAVA, etc. She has finished all the classes, as a matter of fact, but is still a student until August.

She has signed up to be a developer connection member (the free one), and is still considering the other $99 option.

She was going to check with her school and see if she really is still a student.

I might be worthwhile if I could later add the applecare with the student pricing!

Thanks,
Jeff

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 08:22 PM

I saw that, it did look like the discount would be significant, but I noticed the Applecare discount didn't exist there. The 17" powerbook was $2159, though. That is $240 less than the student discount.

I am a little confused by the "rules" associated with the developer criteria. She is a student working on a degree in E-Commerce. Do they require that she is taking/has taken programming/CSCI classes? She has taken a VB class, server side scripting, HTML, JAVA, etc. She has finished all the classes, as a matter of fact, but is still a student until August.

She has signed up to be a developer connection member (the free one), and is still considering the other $99 option.

She was going to check with her school and see if she really is still a student.

I might be worthwhile if I could later add the applecare with the student pricing!

Thanks,
Jeff
Well, I just looked at the terms and conditions for the ADS Student Hardware discount. It looks like it would work for us, but it mentions something about Apple trying to ship all systems within 4-6 WEEKS, and they can't guarantee that timing!!! WOW!

That is an awfully long lead time. Has anyone here used this discount and had it take that long?

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 04:11 AM

[B]I posted this in another topic, but sow no response - so here is its own topic...

I was thinking about getting a Powerbook ...I am torn, however, by the fact that some people who say they are underpowered compared to windows machines, and even compared to the Powermac G5's and dual G5's.

B]
I thought I would share my experiences. First I have dell 8600 portable a Mac G5 a powerbook A17 and most recently a powerbook A12

For a time I would take both the dell and the A17 on trips. Hands down to the A17 now I leave the Dell behind. I tend to use the A17 more and more as my desktop machine except when I need the power of the G5.
Screen size was important to me as well as you get older you need larger more dense characters and tri Focals also come into play.
I find the A17 screen to be excellent and the larger real estate very desireable. I find looking at a monitor 23" is Ok from a distance but prefer the A17 on my lap or table top as I can adjust the screen angle to work best for my eyesite. Finally a 17" screen18" away isn't all that much diferent than a 23" screen 4 feet away, but the angle can be more easily adjusted.
I borrowed a 12 " Ibook for a trip any really enjoyed it so decided I would add a 12" powerbook for travel. I currently have the A17 and A12 with me. To my surprise the 12" works very well and I am not having trouble with the smaller screen.
So where does this get me to. The Dell is on the shelve. The A17 is my preferred home desktop laptop computer. Wireless printers and connections make it very flexible to use in the family room so I am not fixed away in a computer room. For travel I will likely take the A12 only for short trips and for longer trips I wll likely take both the A12 and A17. The G5 will do power jobs for photos but I don't find it really essential for much of what I am doing. Since I am away from home base more than half of the year the portables work very well. Finally running two computers at once wins hands down over the G5 by itself. Hope these ovservations might be helpfull.
If this all seems indulgent at 68 we do need our pampering. Having started with an Apple II in 1978 computers internet etc fill a lot of my time in semi retirement. Harry

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Harry.

I am pretty much sold on the 17" PB. I will be driving to the Apple store as soon as they make the Tiger announcement.

I very much want to buy it NOW, but I am a concerned about the upgrade cost for Tiger (even if I don't install it right away).

I know that others have posted that there is a bit of a grace period if you buy a machine within a week or two of the announcement (not the actual release), but I would like to know this for certain before I drop the cash on the 17".

If anyone can tell me for sure that this was the policy on previous releases (Panter, Jaguar, etc), please chime in!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 12:34 PM

You know that just because Tiger is announced, many PowerBooks won't have it right away. Stock will have to be cleared out unless you do a bto order and are assured Tiger will be pre-installed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

osxisfun
Apr 6, 2005, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Harry.

I am pretty much sold on the 17" PB. I will be driving to the Apple store as soon as they make the Tiger announcement.

I very much want to buy it NOW, but I am a concerned about the upgrade cost for Tiger (even if I don't install it right away).

I know that others have posted that there is a bit of a grace period if you buy a machine within a week or two of the announcement (not the actual release), but I would like to know this for certain before I drop the cash on the 17".

If anyone can tell me for sure that this was the policy on previous releases (Panter, Jaguar, etc), please chime in!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
basically, until apple announces it you might not be eligibale.

i skipped over the amazon deal $150 of powerbook since i thought if i don't get a free upgrade i am going to spend that on tiger anyway...

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks,
Jeff
Nope! No need to do programming of any sort, I've had it on and off myself, and will get to it eventually myself.. though I haven't gotten ADC yet.

The other thing about the student discount is that you only get it once.. you get annual (or semi annual not sure) ones on the select account, but that's $500 a year! O_O OTOH, you also get free OS updates and access to cool stuff
Aloha

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Nope! No need to do programming of any sort, I've had it on and off myself, and will get to it eventually myself.. though I haven't gotten ADC yet.

The other thing about the student discount is that you only get it once.. you get annual (or semi annual not sure) ones on the select account, but that's $500 a year! O_O OTOH, you also get free OS updates and access to cool stuff
The very long ship time scared me away from that option...

I will just use the educational discount option.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
basically, until apple announces it you might not be eligibale.

i skipped over the amazon deal $150 of powerbook since i thought if i don't get a free upgrade i am going to spend that on tiger anyway...
I will play the "better safe than sorry" route here. I found a FAQ on the apple discussion boards, and it says that until the announcement is made, we just don't know. I might have to pay full price if it is announced after I buy the PB.

This wait is killing me. I don't mind if Tiger isn't installed on the PB when I get it. I just want my PB! I probably wouldn't install Tiger immediately anyway. There is shipping time involved with that upgrade anyway. :-)

El Maestro
Apr 6, 2005, 07:58 PM

I'm a recent switcher, I've had my 17" for about a month.

I bought it with an EDU discount (I'm a teacher), and I must say that I love it. The trackpad can be a bit weird sometimes, but it's not nearly enough to make me miss Windows. The screen is great (and I had a VAIO), and I've had no heat problems, even after prolonged use on my lap. It runs cooler than any laptop I've ever had.

No regrets here. I would, however, wait for Tiger if I were you...though if it's not out by the end of this month, go and buy it anyway, chances are it'll be out soon and you can upgrade for nothing. I'll get Tiger eventually, but for me it was a matter of needing the machine, so I bought the best available.

Good luck!

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2005, 01:00 PM

I would really like to get a look at a 17" firsthand, but the only Apple Stores are on the other side of Michigan (near the Detroit area).
Hey spiff72, if you finally decide to visit an Apple Store in Michigian you cannnot go wrong with either one. The one Novi, has some of the best sales people, they are very patient and understanding when it comes to questions about your purchase. On the other hand the Apple Store at the Somerset Collection has one of the better Mac Genisus in a guy named Adam. If you have a problem he can help. Just a little inside information for you. Good luck on your purchase...

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by jstein:
Hey spiff72, if you finally decide to visit an Apple Store in Michigian you cannnot go wrong with either one. The one Novi, has some of the best sales people, they are very patient and understanding when it comes to questions about your purchase. On the other hand the Apple Store at the Somerset Collection has one of the better Mac Genisus in a guy named Adam. If you have a problem he can help. Just a little inside information for you. Good luck on your purchase...
Thanks...

I didn't see your posting until just now. I picked up the 17" at the Novi store. It was nice to be able to see the 15 and 17 next to each other. They told me that they are looking to open an Apple Store in Grand Rapids in May (probably) in Woodland Mall. That would be much more convenient for me! I am not sure why they would go with Woodland rather than the newer mall in Grandville, but I am not complaining.

Thanks,
Jeff

zl9600
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

i read the same NAB rumor about the pbHD versions being announced.

i'm a designer, i don't know if i need it. but here's something that has me baffled:

apple store will pack your laptop with 2g of RAM for $850. but i went over to newegg, and it looks like if i used pgRAM, i could get the SAME config for $240?

i know, it's not 'apple' RAM, and i saw kingston wanted $246 for their 1g stick.

anyone familiar with pgRAM, and is there a solid argument for NOT buying apple RAM with my new 17".

i think i'm waiting till NAB this weekend, but man oh man it feels good to put it in my 'fake' cart!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 10:11 PM

Never buy Apple's overpriced RAM. Folks like OWC <http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/> have fully warranted quality RAM much cheaper. Buy max video RAM and fastest internal hard drive. Add 1 GB to the 512MB on board and it is a decent graphics box. Next add a FW800 external drive for scratch disk; large PS speed improvement. If you have tons of money change out the 512 DIMM for a second GB DIMM.

I am a graphics person who has the above setup (15" with 1.5 GB RAM) and it works very well.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 10:16 PM

Adding Applecare is a waste of money, IMO.

osxisfun
Apr 14, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
Adding Applecare is a waste of money, IMO.
have you ever had a motherboard go bad out of warranty?

Pricey. To say the least.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 12:49 AM

boy oh boy, the ONE thing i did right with my Ti book? two words:

Apple care!

replaced monitor, new titanium case, new fan, new logic board, new power supply, new cd-rw drive.

all for the price of $0 over three years.

the main reason i bought a pb17"/tv tray is because it's been exactly one week since apple care ran out on my Ti

well that, and it's piggishly slow and fan-hungry these days. but oh well.

thanks for the advice on the RAM. i bought samsung RAM via ewiz. $350 for 2 1gig sticks! bought a shuffle with the savings of the rebate i got from amazon on the pb ($150!)
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules