Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Built to Order Powerbook question

Built to Order Powerbook question
asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 06:04 PM

i ordered a built to order powerbook from apple, which ships from china. i was wondering, do they fly the powerbook to the united states, or do they ship it off on a boat? the powerbook was scanned for departure on sunday (im not sure what time, but im assuming 8:20 pm was US EST, not.. china's time). its been close to 2 days and there hasnt been any news. thanks. i think im just getting reckless, but i really want that pb

edit: also, when i check the order status on apple's site, they say the shipping has been expedited if that matters at all.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

ibook_steve
Apr 19, 2005, 06:22 PM

If it was on a boat, you'd be waiting a lot longer than a few days. Be patient. It could take up to a week.

Steve

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 06:25 PM

hahaha ok. im just.. very anxious.
Dell 2408WFP

SkaGoat
Apr 19, 2005, 07:26 PM

it'll get to you soon, my iBook took about 4 days.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 07:32 PM

awesome, thanks for the good news =)

side note.. office 2004 pro came today. now i have iwork, office, and a gig stick of ram waiting with me. hurry pb!
Dell 2408WFP

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:40 PM

Mine was flown.

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 10:21 PM

As others have said, the PB will be sent from China via air. I've been doing business in China for years and it sometimes takes a couple of days to clear Chinese customs. I got my PB in March about 5 days after order.

Saw you also got MS Office 2004. I purchased this as well and I am just loving it. Lots of improvements over Office X (I run this on my iMac). I especially like the Project Center capability of Entourage - allows me to organize in a way that is quite natural for me. The compatibility checker is great too. And now, when I send documents to the Windows world (using Entourage as my main mail program), I no longer have issues with skewed fonts, unreadable encoding, etc. Great update and much better than the Windows version I have been using. I got MS Office 2004 for about $190.00 (OEM version, not the upgrade) and I like it so much I think I'll purchase another copy to update the iMac as well.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

sounds good.. hopefully it ships soon.. hahaha dont know how much longer i cant hold out. so you like entourage a lot better than mail?
Dell 2408WFP

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
sounds good.. hopefully it ships soon.. hahaha dont know how much longer i cant hold out. so you like entourage a lot better than mail?
As mail programs, Entourage and Mail are both good. I have multiple mail accounts and both programs allow me to manage them. I have made Entourage my primary mail application because of the integration with the rest of the MS Office applications. In the project center, it is helpful to be able to link emails to various projects and Entourage allows me to do this.

Not that everyone would like to maintain their data in redundant programs, but it is fairly easy to export MS Office data from the Address Book, and Calendar to the Mac's Address Book and iCal respectively. Therefore, you can use the MS Office application for its' integration advantages and still use the separate Mac equivalents.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

The Powerbooks come from the air. Mine took a few days to clear US customs .... once it broke free of the bureaucracy it was at my door. I got mine in about 7 days. :-)

Question for roadracr ... regarding using both Entourage as well as iCal and Address book: Do you maintain all of your data in the office apps and then export to iCal and AB, or is it the other way around? (I have not fired up Entorage yet because I actually do like using the Mac apps, but I'd like to use the Project Center).
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 08:05 PM

well, the powerbook finally cleared customs in china. it is currently in kentucky. took 3 days to clear customs! hopefully it will be here by friday. my booq vyper sleeve and radtech screensavrz have been shipped as well. now i just have to wait for the iskin and iklear from welovemacs to ship. i thought buying the pb was pricey, but i got hit by a wave of panic and decided to get everything i needed to take care of the pb once it got here. oh yea, tiger has been ordered as well! $9.95, such a great deal.
Dell 2408WFP

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 09:38 PM

should be delivered tomorrow! so excited.
Dell 2408WFP

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by driven
The Powerbooks come from the air. Mine took a few days to clear US customs .... once it broke free of the bureaucracy it was at my door. I got mine in about 7 days. :-)

Question for roadracr ... regarding using both Entourage as well as iCal and Address book: Do you maintain all of your data in the office apps and then export to iCal and AB, or is it the other way around? (I have not fired up Entorage yet because I actually do like using the Mac apps, but I'd like to use the Project Center).
For calendar data, I like iCal better than Entourage. It has better print options and you can copy and paste appointments within the calendar (if this capability exists within Entourage, I haven�t found it. However, iCal will import calendar data from Entourage directly. I put MOST of my calendar entries (and all my project entries) into Entourage and import them into iCal. When I make changes in Entourage and want to update, I go into iCal and delete the Entourage calendar entries and then re-import. I tend to use iCal for more of my personal stuff.

I do use Entourage as my main address book. Entourage is much more import/export friendly than Apple's Address Book. Address Book requires vCard or LDAP formatted contacts, while Entourage can import almost anything, is very flexible on assigning fields for import, and can export in tab-delimited format as well as vCard. As I said, I use Entourage for my contacts, but I did go through the process of exporting vCards to Apple's Address Book as a backup.

Hope this answers your questions. I really find that Entourages capabilities and benefits more than outweigh any deficiencies. I also like the Mac apps, so I have justified the data transfers.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 12:56 AM

well, the powerbook is scheduled to come tomorrow, but i dont think anyone will be home until after noon =( . if i left UPS a note, asking them to come back in the afternoon, think they would? i guess i sound a little desperate, but truth be told, i am. i dont know if i can wait another day!
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules