Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got the PB Today!!!

Just got the PB Today!!!
asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 11:59 PM

Well I am very happy to say that I got the PB today! It is unbelieveable. The packing was excellent, the keyboard feels awesome. The screen is perfect! Everything is great! I cant believe how much I was missing out before. I feel like the PC will be neglected for a very long time. Downloading all of the updates right now. Safari feels a little slow, but some said that it was fixed with 10.3.9. Well just wanted to "brag" I guess.

Also received the Booq Vyper M sleeve. It wasnt what I was expecting. I thought it would be plush and cushiony, but its actually not. Its just a cover. Not much padding. Oh well. I'm glad the PB came! Time to install Office, iWork and the 1GB stick of ram!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
Well I am very happy to say that I got the PB today! It is unbelieveable. The packing was excellent, the keyboard feels awesome. The screen is perfect! Everything is great! I cant believe how much I was missing out before. I feel like the PC will be neglected for a very long time. Downloading all of the updates right now. Safari feels a little slow, but some said that it was fixed with 10.3.9. Well just wanted to "brag" I guess.

Also received the Booq Vyper M sleeve. It wasnt what I was expecting. I thought it would be plush and cushiony, but its actually not. Its just a cover. Not much padding. Oh well. I'm glad the PB came! Time to install Office, iWork and the 1GB stick of ram!
Congrats on the PB. Did you get the ram installed? I finally gave in and ordered a stick for my Rev C 12in. There back ordered till the end of the month though and I just sold my 512 stick to help pay for this one so now I'm stuck with 256 Care to take some pictures of the Vyper sleeve Thanks and enjoy.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 12:25 AM

Congrats on the new pBook ! oh and yeah, you have 60 minutes to post a pic in the pBook picture thread before we get you banned for life

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 12:57 AM

hahaha i'll get some pics up later.. i dont like using flash.. so i usually wait till day time to take pictures.

can anyone walk me through in setting up a network between the mac and pc? im using a router, but i cant establish a network. need to move a lot of pictures/music over but i cant =(

edit: did not install the ram yet, need to get this network down first.
Dell 2408WFP

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 12:06 PM

can anyone walk me through in setting up a network between the mac and pc? im using a router, but i cant establish a network. need to move a lot of pictures/music over but i cant =(
I can help with that. I've got a wireless network with my 12" PB and three Windows PCs.

What kind of router do you have, and do you have a wireless or wired network?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 12:21 PM

hahaha i'll get some pics up later.. i dont like using flash.. so i usually wait till day time to take pictures.

edit: did not install the ram yet, need to get this network down first.
on your mac, in system preferencess > sharing make sure u turn on windows sharing. it gives some pretty decent instructions on how to get a connection up on that page.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 12:37 PM

Check out the Waterfield SleeveCase. I purchased a Waterfield Cargo bag with the Sleevecase and the sleevecase is awesome. Great padding, available with a host of options (with or without a carry strap, with or without an extra pocket. Anyway, the sleevecase fits the PB like a glove (size #24 for tghe 15-inch PB) and fits into any other laptop bag (though I wholeheartedly recommend the Waterfield cases as well).

Congrats on the PB. Got mine last month and am still elated.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 01:37 PM

I have the vyper M sleeve, and it does offer some padding, just not much. It's a nice soft interior and fits the PB perfectly.

I have a padded compartment in my bag, so the padding wasn't an issue, this is more for cosmetic preservation.

And it looks wicked cool.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
on your mac, in system preferencess > sharing make sure u turn on windows sharing. it gives some pretty decent instructions on how to get a connection up on that page.
Yes that's also a key thing. Simple to do, but easy to forget.

Mainly you'll want to go into your router and at least see if its assigning an IP address to your Powerbook.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 05:02 PM

thanks for the help so far. i havent had the chance to look into the router just yet, but i am using a net gear router. the pc is running windows xp home edition, and the mac has recently updated to 10.3.9. i'll give you guys more details when i have the time. right now i just want to play with the powerbook.

as for the booq vyper case.. it really didnt meet my expectations, especially for 40 dollars. it should have been priced around 20.. max.
Dell 2408WFP

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 08:23 PM

I pickup my new 17" Powerbook tomorrow. I can hardly wait. Ordered it with 2GB of ram.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2005, 08:44 PM

You should get this:

It's a Tucano Second Skin. It also comes in Black and a "sport red." You can find them all over, look for the cheapest price. I got my set for $25. It's absolutely awesome. Make sure you get the matching accessories pouch. I put my power brick, power cable, S-Video, and VGA adapter in it. They're both made of neoprine (water proof). It also has what my last sleeve lacked, a second ribbon inside the sleeve that protects the PowerBook from the zipper and keeps moister from leaking through the zipper.

The other two items you should get are:

These are both from Radtech (www.radtech.us) The top one doubles as a protective layer for your screen so it doesn't get scuffed from the keyboard or get other nasties on it, as well as a shammy to clean off your screen if you get smudges or dirt on it.

The bottom is a thin cover for your PowerBook. This just keeps it from getting scratches. Plus, it looks awesome.

They're both made of a soft foam, but it's strong! It's weird, you'll just have to get them. Anyway, I think they're the coolest accessories.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 03:29 AM

thanks for the suggestions pigeon. i actually already ordered the radtech screensavrs. it was suppose to be here today, but i guess usps lagged a little. should be here by wednesday. as for the sleeve, i already bought the 40 dollar vyper sleeve from booq. no need for another one. guess it will have to do for now.

thanks. by the way, im loving the powerbook. but im still.. learning to use/love it. i guess im just too used to pc's right now.
Dell 2408WFP

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 04:31 PM

Picked up my new PB1.67 17" today. Wow. What a difference from my 15" PB800. This machine is sweet. )

osxisfun
Apr 23, 2005, 04:36 PM

I am now thinking a 15" is the best one for me. Most of the time it will be hooked up to my 20" lcd and if its not small, i know, i will not take it as often as i should sort of defeating the purpose of a laptop.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 11:03 PM

The 17" is big. I don't really take mine anywhere so it was the best choice for me.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 12:39 AM

Safari is a little faster in 10.3.9, the main thing is that animated GIF's don't destroy its speed anymore. I've found Shiira to be quite a bit faster, and just as compatible. Google search it.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

vinster
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 12:59 AM

by the way, im loving the powerbook. but im still.. learning to use/love it. i guess im just too used to pc's right now.
When I got my first Mac in 1996, it took me about a month to learn to love it. The more you use it the more you'll appreciate the difference.

Question for those of you who've used both the Rev. B and Rev C 15"'s: I got my Rev B replaced with a Rev C by Apple due to warranty repair delays. There's some nice improvements, but I wanted to find out if those who've used both revisions notice a softer 'click' to the Rev C's trackpad button. Anyone?

janakin2k5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 09:45 AM

I just followed the directions at this link 2 weeks ago when I first got my first Mac and had my Dell and Powerbook networked and sharing files in 5 minutes.

http://www.efelix.co.uk/tech/3001.html

I used it to transfer files from my external hard drive connected to the Dell and for sharing files from an individual folder on the Dell's hard drive.

Jason
15" Al Powerbook 1.67Mhz Rev D, 1gig RAM, Radeon 9700 128mb -- Switched on April 08, 2005

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 08:09 PM

hey jana, thanks for the link. i tried but when i was trying to connect to my pc's ip address it said it could not find it. right now i am just transfering files through AIM (its still really fast, so its ok).

i am pleased with the mac, but not so pleased with iphoto. i cant view the "entire" image. the image is just modified based on how big the iphoto window is, but i want to see the picture as it is (like 1600xXXX or something). any help? thanks
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules