Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 2 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 Networks, Mixed Results

2 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 Networks, Mixed Results
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2011, 12:22 AM

My wife and I each have an MBP and an iPad (latest software). At home, everything is working. Well, except that a tech guy is coming tomorrow to fix the internet at the house.

Not having the internet at the house, though, has caused me to try to login into my wife's office network, which is nearby. Her MBP and iPad connect fine. But neither my MBP or iPad can connect to it.

On my Mac, I get the "self-assigned IP address" and "will not be able to connect to the internet" message. I've done lots of searching online for a solution, but so far, no success.

My iPad finds/connects to the network, but when I try to load a web page, nothing loads; says it appears to be offline.

It seems strange to me that my MBP and iPad works on my home network (as well as my office network, for that matter) but neither works on my wife's office network.

Any ideas/suggestions?

P
Jul 8, 2011, 04:00 AM

There are a few ways that the network in your wife's office could be locked down to only allow authorized devices, which would produce something like that. A simple MAC address lock is the easiest way to do that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:22 AM

In fact, an MAC list is pretty much a given for any company network.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2011, 09:54 AM

No, the network in my wife's office is open. I've been on before. It's not even password protected.

P
Jul 8, 2011, 10:06 AM

That's really stupid. You sure it's not WPA2 Enterprise or something?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2011, 03:36 PM

I'm sure. :-)

Actually, I just read that the "self-assigned IP" issue cropped up as a result of the latest OS X update -- http://www.macworld.com/article/1609...1068_bugs.html. So I'll try the fix they mention a little later.

In some ways, it's no big deal. Home (and home office) internet was fixed this morning, but I'd still like to be able to connect wherever I need to in the future.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 03:57 PM

I've seen weak signal strength cause a failure to get an IP issued before. If you take your iPad closer do you get access?
Does the iPad get an IP?

Were your wife's devices both connected when you tried to connect yours? Some routers get overloaded with clients before they really should.

You could try and set up internet sharing from your wife's MBP.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2011, 04:40 PM

I tried the fix suggested in the article I posted above -- didn't work.

I have taken the iPad close and still did not get access. I've also tried when it was just me so overload not an issue.

Also, I checked the IP the iPad gets -- same as my Mac gets, the "self-assigned" variety.

Thanks for all the help, so far.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 08:38 PM

It does look like a MAC address lockout to me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules