Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > USB

USB
abrody
Dec 31, 1999, 01:01 PM

USB isn't worth it on a machine that already has SCSI. SCSI is 5 times faster than USB for practically all purposes.

If you want to add a scanner, SCSI scanners do cost 2 to three times as much, but they are worth it. Epson has been good enough to
make its Stylus 740, and 900 printers both serial and USB compatible. So if you were looking to get a printer, I'd get either of those because that way you can print now, and later when you get the newer technology. SCSI is still the only technology you can get a cheaper CD-R drive. CD-RW is the only recordable CD technology available for USB, and is less reliable.

The only reason you might want USB is for gamepads which are practically all USB now. But for that purpose you could buy your own Playstation or Nintendo and attach it to your TV for $100.

Sincerely,
[email protected]
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2000, 04:55 PM

SCSI Scanners are much faster, but you can't just plug them in when you want to. You have to shut everything down and restart. Same with everything else SCSI.

SCSI is almost essential if you're doing anything serious with a scanner, RAID array, serious CD writing or anything else heavy like that, but USB is much more practical for everyday usage. USB CD-Burners are a little bit more awkward to get set up initially, but after about 3 hours of making sure I had the right drivers and the proper version of Toast (3.8 usb works far better than 4.0), my Freecom Traveller USB writer hasn't lost a disk yet, and even better I can unplug it when it's done and use it with my iBook.
Aaron

Forum Links
Forum Rules