Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > firmware update 4.1.8 on os9.1 doesn't recognize my ram?

firmware update 4.1.8 on os9.1 doesn't recognize my ram?
aeser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2001, 08:47 AM

i was prompted to run the update for firmware 4.1.8 today (i'm running os 9.1) so i went through and did it and now it only recognizes 64 megs of ram (i have 192), anybody know how to make it see the other 128 megs?
[link]http://aeser.net[/link]

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 09:48 AM

This firmware update tightens the specs for RAM in Macs so they will be more reliable but it means that some older RAM is excluded. It caused this problem for a lot of people when it first came out a few months back.

First thing you should try to do is call the vendor you bought the RAM from and describe the problem and ask for a replacement module that is up to spec. A lot of vendors will replace it for you free of charge, except for maybe shipping.

If that doesn't work then try using DIMM First Aid to patch your unrecognized DIMM so it will be recognized. Only do this as a last resort if you cannot get it replaced however, since if slows the timing and could affect performance and it is not guaranteed to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules