Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FTP browsers

FTP browsers
abkondrat
Nov 12, 1999, 03:03 AM

CAn someone please give me the name or site of a good Mac FTP browser/ Thanks a lot.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 1999, 08:58 AM

Fetch, Anarchie, Transmit, there are a few more...

for all these and more go to www.versiontracker.com and search for the above app's, also do a search for keyword 'ftp' and see all the stuff out there related to FTP clients as well...

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 1999, 01:11 AM

VicomSoft also has a pretty good ftp client, and it's free.

QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 1999, 11:33 PM

We use several good FTP clients:

1. Fetch. The interface is quirky and I tend to think it sucks. BUT it IS very AppleScript-able.

2. Transmit. MY FAVOURITE. Solid, dependable. Great FTP client. www.panic.com

3. NetFinder http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pli/netfinder/

I REALLY like NetFinder's Finder-like user interface, but I'm discovering that setting permission for UNIX servers can be problematic. I prefer Transmit's automatic settings.

So. Three great choices for Mac FTP clients that beat the crap out of CuteFTP or other silly Windoze clients. Enjoy!!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 1999, 11:48 PM

If you're using MacOS 9 you can use its built-in ftp client.

What's that? A built-in ftp client?!

You betcha. The Network Browser in MacOS 9 is a real (although sparse) ftp client. You can enter a URL from the Connect to ... button and it will display the files on the server. You can double-click through directories, move up and down the hierarchy with the forward/backware arrows and download files by double-clicking or dragging them to the desktop.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 1999, 05:02 PM

To chabig and all the others on this thread,

on another topic at MacNN WebBoard they say that the Network Browser of Mac OS 9 is not capable of uploads, just downloads. If this is correct, I would positively not call such a piece of software a fully functional FTP client. Maybe it is betterthan nothing, when a true FTP client is not around....

Also, I do not agree with the statement that Fetch has a quirky interface (at least not v3.03 which I use regularly).

Just my two pence,

regards,

Walter.

Jeff Edsell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 1999, 11:01 AM

Yes, you can upload items with OS9 Network Browser's built-in FTP client. My favorite, though, is still Anarchie.

Now, if only Apple would write the Network Browser to use plug-ins...then Stairways, or Panic,could write plug-ins to make FTP literally as easy as sharing through AppleTalk. (Other networking software, like Thursby Systems' DAVE, could work the same way...but I digress.)

outZider
Nov 23, 1999, 01:46 PM

I would like one to integrate with the Finder -- have a site show up as a seperate drive. That would be wonderful -- you could go to "save as" in a dialog and go for it, and access, etc. would be done just like AppleShare. Ahhh, one can dream.

- oZ
- oZ

orlgummo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 1999, 07:26 PM

I use Anarchie Pro 3.5 every single day. I've used Transmit, which I like too, but for rock solid performance I prefer Anarchie. The interface of Transmit, while fantastic, would take a little getting used to for someone new with FTP. Anarchie looks and feels like the Finder, and is great about giving visual information (e.g., a red line through a file that's been deleted) when things change on the server.

In addition, I'd have to say that I find the Fetch interface quite clunky (or was it quirky?), though, like Anarchie, it's rock solid and easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules