Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So was what LePage said racist?

View Poll Results: Was LePage referring to black people?
Poll Options:
Duh 4 votes (100.00%)
No, you're the real racist here 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll
So was what LePage said racist?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2016, 03:12 PM

He claims it isn't because he specifically didn't say anyone was black.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 03:34 PM

It's pretty obvious who he was talking about and what he meant. Besides, it's not like this is his first time making some rather "questionable" comments. And his lame excuse that he meant to say "Maine women" instead of "young white girls" when he was referencing NY drug dealers impregnating them has about as much credibility as when Rick Santorum claimed he said "blah people" instead of "black people" when talking about entitlement reform. This is simply what happens when such a person's true thoughts about an issue are spoken before the political filter kicks in.

OAW

PS: And in true conservative fashion Gov. LePage is now blaming the media instead of just owning up to his statement.
( Last edited by OAW; Jan 8, 2016 at 03:48 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2016, 04:02 PM

I almost used "blah people" as the poll question

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2016, 04:11 PM

LePage is an all-around jackass. Yet he got reelected, so some people like him. I don't even...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
LePage is an all-around jackass. Yet he got reelected, so some people like him. I don't even...

Along with Scott, Brownback, and Walker. Low voter turn-out really did a number on a lot of states.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 05:47 PM

Links to impregnated white girls? Are they hot? Is heroin still a thing?

*jabs the button for the morphine pump*

There's a lot of white dudes "culturally appropriating" (I think that's the commonly used term) blacks nowadays. *points at Slim Shady*
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2016, 06:50 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 07:02 PM

And instead of going after the source of the demand the good governor singles out street distributors.

Drug Dealers Aren't to Blame for the Heroin Boom. Doctors Are. | NewRepublic.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 07:37 PM

The gov't is a major source of the demand, with new regs on limiting access to pain medication. People who have taken them for years, for legit reasons, have found themselves SOL, not only having to deal with their chronic pain but also withdrawal as well. And they wonder why demand is climbing? Morons.

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2016, 08:21 PM

Interesting article. However, I don't think we can blame doctors as much as ourselves. We also bug doctors to prescribe antibiotics for ailments that don't need them, the result is resistant bacteria.

LePage is targeting the not just street distributors, but the people from outside Maine from the big cartels/gangs/etc.

Marijuana is legal in Maine. There are plenty of legal options without resorting to heroin. The article I posted ^^ posited that heroin came on the rise because of the crackdown (heh) on illegally obtained Oxy. I think people who legit need Oxy can still get it. I have some (did nothing for me).

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There are plenty of legal options without resorting to heroin.
If you've been on opiates for debilitating pain for years, and your doctor cuts you off due to gov't pressure, what are those options? Advil? Aleve? People who don't live with chronic level 7+ pain, day in and day out, have no concept of what that's like.

The pain clinic in my town can only see 150 patients and they're full (with a 100 patient backlog), the next closest one is 30 minutes away but they're not accepting new patients either. In fact, the nearest one that can see you is 300 miles away, but there's a mountain of red tape because it's in another state (something about not being able to take your Class 2 prescription meds across state lines, which you have to do every time you go), and you're required to go every single month. Better hope you don't get pulled over while you have those Class 2s on you, even with a prescription.

Also, every visit you're treated like a criminal, even though you may not have ever even had a speeding ticket in your entire life. You're; frisked and your belongings are searched, drug tested, questionnaire about drug abuse, have to pee directly in front of strangers, mistreated by the staff who thinks you're there just to try and score, hounded by junkies in the waiting room and outside the clinic, and automatically placed on a gov't watchlist for the rest of your life. All of this, despite the fact you're already physically and emotionally screwed up and vulnerable, oftentimes barely able to get around. To say the system is botched is an understatement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules