Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spacebar squeaks

Spacebar squeaks
Kurt23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 09:16 PM

Hi-

I just made the switch over the Mac. And I must admit I love it. I am 100% satisfied with my new purchase.

One little annoying thing though that is driving me a little nuts. My space bar squeaks a bit. It's the only thing preventing me from being in an absolute state of bliss. Apple said I could send it in (and not to use an lubricant). I really dont want to send it in but if I have to so be it. Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Is this something the Apple Store might be able to help me with? Has anyone had similiar issues? Am I being super picky?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 03:51 AM

Hey there, congratulations on your switch and powerbook purchase. Welcome to the light side.

Not to jib you, but funny how you say that you were 100% satisfied when the spacebar is driving you nuts (a little)

Anyways, I use a silicone skin protector on the keyboard of my 12" RevB. A pleasant side effect on top of the protection is that it significantly dampens the already quiet keypress click. I got mine from Japan, but I believe iSkin sells something similar. Check out the iSkin version here.
mavafyipdq

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

My keyboard doesn't squeak, but it does at times sound as if a corner or two aren't quite "set" right.

I like that iSkin. Is it really as nearly invisible as shown in the picture? Does it affect your typing at all (I'm a two-finger wonder, BTW; can't type normally to save my life)? Does it stay on? etc....

Thanks!

KidKit
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by USNA91:
I like that iSkin. Is it really as nearly invisible as shown in the picture? Does it affect your typing at all (I'm a two-finger wonder, BTW; can't type normally to save my life)? Does it stay on? etc....
Keep in mind mine is not an iSkin, but I believe it is comparable to their clear iSkin...

It gives the keyboard a softer less plasticky feel. It looks great, doesn't change the color, thought it does make the silver keyboard a little less shiny. No effect to my typing, I touch type. It doesn't cling on to the keyboard, but sits on top and is form fitting. You might drag it initially if you have a habit of trailing your fingers across the keyboard, but you'll get used to that very quickly.

Hope that helps
mavafyipdq

Forum Links
Forum Rules