Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Resurrecting a Titanium

Resurrecting a Titanium
hemant
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 11:18 AM

Hi Folks, I happened to come across this Titanium Onyx which had a broken hinge, no battery and power cord. I have managed to fix the hinge. On powering up it looks like only 1/3 of the LCD is functioning. the remaining 2/3 is initially black at boot and then slowly changes white/grey (Is this called banding?). I've noticed that torquing the screen by holding its upper corners bring it back for like a second, followed with the ghost image that fades into white/grey. For now I have hooked it to an external monitor and everything shows up fine on the external monitor.

I have also checked the data cable and inverter cable for any breakage/seating problems but I found none. I assume the problem is with the LCD or the backlight circuit. I know the Titanium was notorious for the hinge problem followed by LCD troubles.

First of all I need to know if this is an LCD issue or a logic board issue. And if some one could point me to a fix I'll be very happy.
( Last edited by hemant; Jan 23, 2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added pics)

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 11:37 AM

From what you described it sounds like it's a LCD problem.

If it was the logic board i would reckon it wouldn't work with the external monitor connected.

hemant  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 02:41 PM

And I guess the fix would involve replacing the entire LCD or do you think there is some component level fix I could perform.

leanest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2007, 02:53 PM

The titatniums are gnning, more power to you, or your titanium =)

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 04:17 PM

That is a bad lcd. You can replace the lcd from the casing. It's difficult, but there's an excellent guide here:
| macdan | Titanium PowerBook display repair |
I love lamp! I love lamp...

hemant  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist View Post
That is a bad lcd. You can replace the lcd from the casing. It's difficult, but there's an excellent guide here:
| macdan | Titanium PowerBook display repair |
Thanks for all the info. I used the same guide while changing the hinges. I'm in the process of getting a compatible LCD. I'll keep you guys posted.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 01:04 AM

Definately a bad LCD.

ifixit.com has some LCD on sale in the sale or clearance section.

hemant  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 05:12 PM

I got an LCD off ebay and I'm hoping it gets here by saturday.

hemant  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2007, 11:42 AM

Funny story, the LCD I picked up from ebay is from a DVI version and though the LCD works fine my Onyx does not recognize the extra real estate that has been provided to it. So about 85% of my screen is being used. There is a portion towards the right side that is not being used and a small band in the bottom where the screen from the top is repeated again. I have tried using utilities like SwitchResX but in vain.

In the process looks like I have screwed my DVD drive and it does not suck any disks. I was hoping to at least install ubuntu or some other flavor of Linux which I have heard can utilize the entire screen. I hope there is some simple fix for the drive, without which I don't see how I can install anything onto the system.

I'll see if there is anyone interested in trading the DVI screen for a VGA screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules