Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone's World Clock went funky

iPhone's World Clock went funky
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 03:07 AM

I just noticed this today. The World Clock on my iPhone is off by 1 hour. All of the times listed are behind by 1 hour. My regular clock (the one at the top of the iPhone at all times) is correct, as well as the clock on the unlock screen. The only ones that are off are the World Clock times.

I have messed with all of the settings I can think of. I have managed to do a pseudo fix by setting "Set Automatically" to the Off position. Doing this sets my main clock back one hour (like the World Clock). I set my clock to the correct time, leaving Set Automatically to Off, and the World Clock goes back to normal.

I realize this is a temporary fix, since it shouldn't work this way. I am going to try to go to the Apple Store tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

Anyone else see this happening? I found a thread on the Apple Support forums with a couple people having the same issue, but no fix has been offered yet (other than my temp fix).

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 08:37 AM

Did you try assigning a time zone.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 08:41 AM

daylight savings time?

-r.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 10:47 AM

I had this initially when I first set up my iPhone. It corrected itself (!) after about an hour. One thing you might try is a soft reset. Hold the home and sleep buttons down simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. That fixed a couple of problems for me.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 01:32 PM

Time Zome Support is On, but I believe that is only for Calendar. But its set to On anyways.

The weird thing is that I'm almost 100% positive that it was correct when I first set up all my World Clock times when I first got the phone.

I even did a Reset All Settings and it still is off.

One thing I noticed that was pretty odd, was when I reset my settings, it thought I was in the Salt Lake City time zone (under Time Zone in the Calendar portion of the Date & Time Settings). No idea where it got that from, since I'm on the West Coast. Shouldn't it have at least said Cupertino?

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2007, 03:07 PM

A little update:

So all this World Clock weirdness was taking place at my Dad's place in a California (different state than I live in, but same time zone). When I get to the airport (still in California) to leave, I check the World Clock again and its correct. And now that I'm back home, it has been correct ever since then.

I'm stumped. I have no idea what thats all about. Does anyone know how the World Clock gets its data? The only thing I can think of is maybe my Dad's wifi network was causing this. He uses DirecWay satellite internet since he has no other choice. His iPhone's World Clock was also an hour behind, and at this point it still is. Maybe its the satellite connection messin with things?

Forum Links
Forum Rules