Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > after update to 10.4.11 browsers crashing constantly

after update to 10.4.11 browsers crashing constantly
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2007, 03:52 PM

Man this is driving me nuts

Safari, Firefox and camino crashing ALOT. Often when I close a tab but randomly the app justs quits since the upgrade. Any solutions anyone? I'd rather not do an install from the tiger disc....or upgrade to 10.5 (done that on the PB - and considering going back to tiger but that's another story)

nickw311
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 05:50 PM

Safari is completely unreliable for me since I updated to version 3.
27" iMac C2D

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
Man this is driving me nuts

Safari, Firefox and camino crashing ALOT. Often when I close a tab but randomly the app justs quits since the upgrade. Any solutions anyone? I'd rather not do an install from the tiger disc....or upgrade to 10.5 (done that on the PB - and considering going back to tiger but that's another story)
Hm, try the silly stuff first - cleaning out the cache, manually removing pref files, and replacing the binaries.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2007, 06:46 PM

replacing the binaries.
???

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2007, 10:50 PM

Camino (now 1.5.3) for me has NO problems with 10.4.11, nor any previous update.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 12:24 AM

???
in this case, the application files in your applications folder.

(technically, these .app files contain the binaries, among other things)

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2007, 06:46 PM

I have 4 accounts on this iMac and it is only happening on one account (mine) I have cleaned out the cache and manually removed the pref files.

So it can't be the .app files, can it? I don't really want to delete and reinstall the browser. If it was the .app files then it surely would be happening on all accounts, right?
( Last edited by jbleisure; Nov 23, 2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling)

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Safari is completely unreliable for me since I updated to version 3.
DIT-TO.

G-Force
Nov 23, 2007, 08:31 PM

Do you guys have any third party plugins installed like Saft, Pithhelmet etc.? If you do, try removing them. This was my problem and Safari 3 has been working great since.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 23, 2007, 09:25 PM

jb, you've done everything but replaced the app itself. Try reinstalling your browser of choice-though Firefox or Camino may be a lot easier to do that with than Safari. It could be something with just one browser that's hosing up a network setting and goobering up the app's instance. Reinstalling one or more of the browsers will at least tell you whether there's something going on with your browsers themselves-and it doesn't take much time at all to do. Assuming you can download them to install them, that is.

Can you do anything with Network Utility? Can you do things like ping using Terminal? Something is absolutely bizarre in your machine, and the more information you can gather about what works and what doesn't, the better you'll be able to zero in on the bizarreness and fix it.

Of course it could be that something really odd happened when you installed Leopard, which means that another installation might just be the fix you're looking for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 06:09 AM

Of course it could be that something really odd happened when you installed Leopard, which means that another installation might just be the fix you're looking for.
This is happening on tiger. The upgrade I referred to was 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.

I mainly use safari, I only know it is happening with Camino and Firefox because I was trying to work around the problem with Safari. I will try uninstalling one of them and then reinstalling to see if that fixes the problem, although it is Safari on that account I realy want fixed.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 08:14 AM

same problem here, I keep getting crashes with all of my browsers after the update on my previously 100% stable intel iMac
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2007, 10:03 AM

This is happening on tiger. The upgrade I referred to was 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.

I mainly use safari, I only know it is happening with Camino and Firefox because I was trying to work around the problem with Safari. I will try uninstalling one of them and then reinstalling to see if that fixes the problem, although it is Safari on that account I realy want fixed.
It always helps me out to have my brain engaged before setting my typing fingers in motion. Oops. Maybe I should have said that something odd happened during the upgrade.

With this new and more logical interpretation of your problem, I should point out that both my MacBook Pro and aluminum iMac are running 10.4.11 without any problem. I found a site that wouldn't work right with Firefox, so I ran Safari a day or two ago and both browsers work just fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2007, 12:48 PM

You're right that it does sound like something local to that user given the new evidence that it's only one user accn. However, it's trivial to replace the .apps, so what happens when you try that?

Otherwise, I think the third party utils and often something non-standard like a GUI mod can have far-reaching consequences. The best question I can think of now is, what's different about that user account from the others, not just obviously browser-related?

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2007, 08:42 AM

Well that user account is the one that was there when I upgraded from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 the other were imported afterward.

Away on Business now for a week so will have to pick this up when ~I'm back as it's an issue on the desktop at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules