Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Well that was fun (snow day)

Well that was fun (snow day) (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2010, 06:52 PM

Because it was the 70s. Practically every american car was an ugly piece of shit then.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Did get a kick out the story about being snowed in for 3 days at the highest pub in the UK, a whopping 1700 feet elevation! Playing the video gives a good idea of how 7 foot drifts might prove impassable, not a snow fence in sight!
It's called a "snowmobile"! Buy one, have the most fun you've had in years! Especially useful when you're dealing with snow like this:

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 08:54 PM

Did get a kick out the story about being snowed in for 3 days at the highest pub in the UK, a whopping 1700 feet elevation!
The Tan Hill is a great pub- anyone remotely close by should make the trip.

On topic- we've had a damn good snow, and the Audi Allroad has done me proud. It's turned about to be a great snow car.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 09:59 PM

We're slowly getting buried alive in snow here.
ebuddy

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 10:00 PM

I went from a 1993 Ford explorer 4x4 5mt with low-range and All-terrain (snow) tires to a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe (6mt). After the snow storm on the 18th of december on the east coast, i regret giving that explorer away . The g35 is the worst. snow car. ever. But its hawt :-) The profile z rated tires are absolutely worthless in the snow.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Because it was the 70s. Practically every american car was an ugly piece of shit then.
Only if you consider nearly featureless box shapes with rectangular headlights, tail lights, doors and windows to be "ugly" and the other... I personally think they were pretty much ugly even then (I was a kid and thought cars were cool, even if they were horrible looking), but I don't think all of 'em were "POS" material. We had a Nova, which was a very solid car (solid like it was chiseled out of a chunk of steel, too) that performed well. Ugly as sin, but very comfortable and enjoyable to drive (keeping in mind that I was 16 then...).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 7, 2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
That is one ugly car. Why the hell did your dad buy that?!
Because by 1977, nobody wanted a car that got 14mpg on a good day, so it was cheap, and as a family living solely on the income of a teacher, that was the best he could do. After a while its value dropped to absolutely nothing so they kept it just because they'd have to pay to get rid of it. All three kids came home from the hospital in that car. At this point it's pretty much a family heirloom. He's told me before I get it when I turn 25. We'll see if that actually happens, though, especially since I showed him what I'd do to it.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The correct phrase here is ooof! That looks lovely.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 10:07 AM

^^ Now that's a proper car... ...from the days when men used to be men and not geeky little dweebs worried about impressing the ecofeminazis.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 7, 2010, 10:27 AM

Of course, the puny little 351 would have to be stroked to about 427 or so...big block cubes with small block weight. And I could fit about 6 12" subs in that trunk and still have space for a body or two.

Speaking of snow days, my office is closed for the day due to black ice and blizzard conditions. I didn't get that email until I got into the office though.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 10:41 AM

My dad has one of these tucked away in the garage, he bought it in '77.
Sweet. I'd keep it in its original condition though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Sweet. I'd keep it in its original condition though.
Being an ugly, non-desireable car from the '70s, I can't imagine it having any value other than sentimental. We're not talking about a Boss Mustang or even an Edsel here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I personally think they were pretty much ugly even then (I was a kid and thought cars were cool, even if they were horrible looking), but I don't think all of 'em were "POS" material.
Aside from you knowing that I have strong opinions about meaningless things, the fact that they were unnecessarily large and inefficient for starters. They were likely unmaneuverable and underpowered too.

A cement block makes a reliable chair, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it a piece of shit too.

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2010, 12:20 PM

that car, was not underpowered. V8.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 12:29 PM

That car no, but I was speaking in generalities about 70s american cars. Half the reason the engines got so big was because that was the only way to move those tanks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 12:33 PM

4000+ lbs, 5.8 liters, 155 horsepower, 300+ lb-ft. torque.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That car no, but I was speaking in generalities about 70s american cars. Half the reason the engines got so big was because that was the only way to move those tanks.
Also to engage in vaguely homoerotic displays of manhood score chicks

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 12:38 PM

Back OT, here's advice from Siberia for the UK's oh-so-hard winter: I do love the idea of using non-freeze vodka for washing your car windows. A hearty breakfast of fried potatoes in lard sounds good too! PETA beware: real fur advised...

"Fur, felt and food are Siberia’s holy trinity for surviving and thriving in exceptionally cold weather.

“If Britain is getting a dose of our weather, then tell people to put on a fur coat and hat — real, of course,” says Galina Ivanovna, 62, who stands at her outdoor market stall in Novosibirsk for six hours a day. In temperatures as low as minus 38C,she has little appetite for animal rights.

“Wear valenki, boots made from wool felt, and put on lots of woollen clothes underneath,” she adds. “You need good thick gloves, like the ones I sell, and make sure you protect your neck with a really warm scarf. Thick, long socks too. Above all, eat a good breakfast before you go out. I usually have fried potatoes cooked in lard and a mug of lemon tea with three sugars.”

Siberian women wear fur-lined boots with high heels. Here, the nurseries and schools stay open at below minus 30C, but children don’t have to go out to play. Mums will often rub oily Barsuchok cream made from badger fat on to their children’s cheeks to protect them from the biting cold.

For cars, snow tyres are essential, and cheap vodka is handy as a non-freeze substitute for windscreen-washing liquid in low temperatures. Russian drivers routinely start their engines for 20 minutes a day even if not going anywhere.

Officials are full of advice. “It is important to stop smoking,” chides Alexander Chuchalin, the country’s chief therapist. “It is difficult to imagine anything more aggressive to the respiratory tract than smoking and cold air.” Vladimir Korolyov, the head doctor at Moscow’s ambulance service, also has some handy tips. “Those who need to be outside for really long periods can put a layer of paper around the socks before putting on the boots. Paper is a good thermo-insulating material,” he says. “If you get too cold, first put your hands under cold, then warm, and then hot water so that it doesn’t damage the skin.”

“It’s a mistake to think alcohol helps when it’s cold,”explains Gennady Onishenko, Russia’s chief sanitary inspector. “It damages you and gives a feeling of false warmth. What you need is good rich food and warm clothes.”

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2010, 02:54 PM

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 08:22 PM

Iguanas are losing their grip due to cold and literally falling out of trees in Florida.

egadz. High tomorrow... -4.
ebuddy

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 08:40 PM

Being an ugly, non-desireable car from the '70s, I can't imagine it having any value other than sentimental. We're not talking about a Boss Mustang or even an Edsel here.
Keep it for another 20 years and that might well change. I just think it would be cool to keep your dad's car and maybe hand it over to your own son or daughter one day.

But hey, your car, your rules.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Iguanas are losing their grip due to cold and literally falling out of trees in Florida.

egadz. High tomorrow... -4.
It's a hazardous life, being an iguana!

But perhaps not as hazardous as collecting bins (trash cans) in the UK! Some bins haven't been collected because of the snow and ice, and one council has decreed that bins with lids that open more than a 1/4" can't be collected: The bins might fall open and disgorge hazardous materials onto the sidewalk, creating a health and safety problem! One bin-man was seen to pull out a tape measure to explain to a homeowner why they couldn't collect his bin!

Or, how about this: The BBC is advising their readers that tires should have 3 mm of tread for driving in snow and icy weather! 3 mm is 1/8"--that's what I personally would call a bald tire!

BBC News - How to drive in snow and icy weather

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 10:55 PM

But perhaps not as hazardous as collecting bins (trash cans) in the UK! Some bins haven't been collected because of the snow and ice, and one council has decreed that bins with lids that open more than a 1/4" can't be collected: The bins might fall open and disgorge hazardous materials onto the sidewalk, creating a health and safety problem! One bin-man was seen to pull out a tape measure to explain to a homeowner why they couldn't collect his bin!

Or, how about this: The BBC is advising their readers that tires should have 3 mm of tread for driving in snow and icy weather! 3 mm is 1/8"--that's what I personally would call a bald tire!

egadz. This can't be good.
ebuddy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 11:03 PM

At least it's not like December 2008 in Seattle where some areas couldn't have their garbage collected for over 3 weeks due to snow and ice.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
At least it's not like December 2008 in Seattle where some areas couldn't have their garbage collected for over 3 weeks due to snow and ice.
Most councils in UK only collect once every two weeks, so if they miss a collecton it's four weeks, right there.

Unless you phone them to complain, in which case the head of department personally comes out to collect. In suit, tie, gloves and BMW.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2010, 07:56 AM

I'm up to 5 weeks without collection now. Damn council. That's including Christmas trash as well (2 kids- lots o rubbish). We're off to the tip today to get rid of it ourselves.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2010, 08:05 AM

Once every 2 weeks? My trash is collected every Wednesday, and my separate recycling every Saturday. Apparently there's been some sort of "cost versus the whole place looking like a dump" study and it's worth the cost (which is of course paid by taxes and fees I pay) to have more frequent collection.

Do you have vermin problems because of the extended periods between collections? One rat should scare the be-geebies out of your council folks. Of course that assumes they can actually understand how rats are a bad thing... Plus with the snow and all most of the rats are (intelligently) hiding from the cold...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 09:51 AM

Once every 2 weeks?
Yup.
On week 1 they'll collect garden waste (lawn clippings, etc.) and cardboard.
On week 2 they'll collect everything else.
On week 3 it's back to garden waste.
Etc..

Do you have vermin problems because of the extended periods between collections?
Yup.

One rat should scare the be-geebies out of your council folks.
Why would they be scared of a colleague?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 11:04 AM

Once every 2 weeks? My trash is collected every Wednesday, and my separate recycling every Saturday. Apparently there's been some sort of "cost versus the whole place looking like a dump" study and it's worth the cost (which is of course paid by taxes and fees I pay) to have more frequent collection.
You also have to factor in that Americans just produce more garbage. Way more. All the packaging is nuts here in the US. Europe is much more efficient in that regard.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 01:11 PM

"In temperatures as low as minus 38C, she has little appetite for animal rights."

Hehe.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2010, 01:11 PM

DC must put out a crap-load of garbage then (cue obvious joke) because our trash is collected twice a week.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
DC must put out a crap-load of garbage then (cue obvious joke) because our trash is collected twice a week.

Same in Fairfax, VA, on Friday and Tuesday.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2010, 01:33 PM

Well how big are your bins?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2010, 01:35 PM

That's sexual harassment.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2010, 01:37 PM

Two, maybe three bodies.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2010, 02:03 PM

Yeah- we had trash collection twice a week back when I lived in Fairfax County, VA and we used a bin larger than the one the council gives us here and it was often overflowing.

We now (supposedly) have pick-up once a week and it's rarely full. I think it's a combination of much more sensible packaging combined with changes in our own habits.

Once ever two weeks would be a stretch though. We'd definitely need a bigger bin.

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2010, 02:15 PM

We have trash and recycling pickup every week. Usually one medium bin of trash and 2 full recycling bins (short ones).

topic: it snowed today, just a mere dusting. Boo.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2010, 02:22 PM

It varies because the county does NOT provide trash bins - you have to provide your own.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 01:29 AM

Ok I am from Canada more precisely one of the snow city in Canada, Québec city. So your point is. The little storm you had would not stop us. The winter of 2007-2008 we had an accumation of 7 feet of snow on the ground. We had at one point a tempeture of minus 38 degrees with the wind factor on new year eve 2008. I know I was outside for 4 hours waiting for the outside new year eve party. You cannot start to imagine the bad weather conditions we have during the winter here in Québec. It is very different from one province to the other, but in some it is pretty bad. Actually in Edmonton AB they had a minus 57 degrees Celsius during most of the month of December.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2010, 10:17 AM

Awesome. I'm headed to a tiny town 400 miles north of Edmonton next week. But it's still 10 degrees warmer there than it is here.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2010, 10:28 AM

Our collection is weekly, on Wednesdays for trash (in out neighborhood) and Saturdays for recycling. The city went to an automated bin system, so they distributed a brown bin for trash and a blue bin for recycling to everyone-and the bins hold 96 GALLONS. When we had the 2-bushel recycling bins I would studiously break down boxes and crush cans so everything would fit; now I don't really bother because on a "heavy use" week we may get the bin half way full. That's counting a 5-6 gallon plastic cat litter bucket and plenty of boxes. We've seldom gotten the trash bin more than 1/3 full-and that was with two adults and a trash-generating machine known as a "teenage boy." Since he's out on his own, we almost always have only a little bit of stuff in the trash bin.

So San Antonio really expects citizens to recycle more (it's cheaper for the city) and they provide us with "huge tracts of land trash and recycling bins" to accommodate collecting only once a week.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Why would they be scared of a colleague?
Excellent zing there, Doof!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Actually in Edmonton AB they had a minus 57 degrees Celsius during most of the month of December.
Quite impressive, considering that’s ten degrees lower than the lowest monthly average ever measured in Canada (and that was in Eureka, on the north side of Ellesmere Island), and only six degrees above the lowest temperature ever measured in Canada. Also quite impressive since the –46.1°C measured on 13 December 2009 was the coldest confirmed measurement ever in Edmonton.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2010, 06:23 PM

I see what you did there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 07:27 PM

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Quite impressive, considering that’s ten degrees lower than the lowest monthly average ever measured in Canada (and that was in Eureka, on the north side of Ellesmere Island), and only six degrees above the lowest temperature ever measured in Canada. Also quite impressive since the –46.1°C measured on 13 December 2009 was the coldest confirmed measurement ever in Edmonton.
Windchill factor maybe?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Windchill factor maybe?
With windchill, the temperature on the record day was indeed 57°C, yes. But temperatures are measured without windchill factors.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2010, 08:44 PM

This thread needs pics!
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2010, 08:48 PM

One of the few pictures showing a completely snow-covered UK.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 09:02 PM

Sure, and Ireland has no snow at all.

Nice Photochop, though.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2010, 11:13 PM

The image is from Wikipedia. Everything on Wikipedia is real.

Forum Links
Forum Rules