Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP SP2 Bootcamp disaster

XP SP2 Bootcamp disaster
huh989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2010, 06:21 PM

Hello, after trying to install XP Pro (unSP'ed) on my bootcamp partition I'm unable to boot to OSX (after holding option, I just see one nonresponsive Windows option). Am I completely screwed? I GParted it on a Ubuntu LiveCD and there's 465.76GB unallocated. When I was in XP format mode, i only formatted my 131GB partition (partition1 NOT partition0). What gives. I see there are posts about how you shouldn't do this, so I'm trying desperately to backtrack...HELP!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2010, 06:29 PM

Boot Camp REQUIRES SP2 because previous versions of XP ****ed up the partition table and made your drive basically unrecoverable.

You'll probably have to format the drive entirely and reinstall OS X from your backup.

huh989  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2010, 07:09 PM

So Diskwarrior or an equivalent isn't going to be useful?

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2010, 01:25 PM

You could try repairing the MBR. Alternatively, you could also try booting from your OS X boot disc and attempt to repair the disk via Disk Utility.

If that doesn't work, and if you have a 2nd Mac you can borrow, you can then try booting your Mac into the FireWire mode (holding down the F key during boot) and plugging it into another Mac. Hopefully, your partition will show up and allow you back up your data before reformatting.

If your laptop is still under AppleCare, you could also give TechTool Deluxe a try. Free, bootable, pro version for computers with AppleCare.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
If that doesn't work, and if you have a 2nd Mac you can borrow, you can then try booting your Mac into the FireWire mode (holding down the F key during boot) and plugging it into another Mac. Hopefully, your partition will show up and allow you back up your data before reformatting.
Firewire mode is invoked with the T key..

Good luck OP, I agree with Spheric.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2010, 04:57 PM

Agreed, you've formatted your drive with the XP utility that couldn't address the entire drive.

I'd pretty much say that your data is gone, you may have luck with some recovery utilities such as Data Rescue II, although I'm not sure how in depth they can go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules