Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > OWC Mercury Elite Pro Halts Services During Disk Access

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Halts Services During Disk Access
Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2010, 05:22 PM

I'm not sure if it's a faulty enclosure, or what, but it does the darndest thing. The whole system and all services will halt during prolonged disk access with the enclosure. Just noticed it now while I was creating a disk image of a laptop onto the server (a 2009 mac mini). The whole server hanged and services halted (DNS, AFP, LDAP, etc.) I attempted to force quit, but everything was a beachball and unresponsive -- everything except Disk Utility. The progress bar for the image creation was continuing. Instead of hard-shutting down (holding the power button down) the server, I decided to unplug the target disk booted laptop instead. After about 15 seconds, I get the "Improper device removal" notice (along with all my clicking that was queued up during the beachballing), and all the services kick back up again (DNS, AFP, LDAP, etc.).

Is there a specific log I can look at to get more detail on this abnormal firewire behavior?

Thanks,
-Rob

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 07:41 PM

Have you tried either trying another drive in the enclosure, or try putting the drive in another enclosure? This way you could figure out which of the two devices is the issue.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Warhaven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Have you tried either trying another drive in the enclosure, or try putting the drive in another enclosure? This way you could figure out which of the two devices is the issue.
Sorry I took so long to respond. Been a busy week. I'm testing that right now. Should have an answer for you in a couple hours. Creating the image on the other drive. Should tell me if it's drive-specific.

Thanks,
-Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules