Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP keyboard and trackpad stop functioning

MBP keyboard and trackpad stop functioning
ClockNova
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2010, 04:15 PM

I've been having this problem with my Macbook Pro for quite some time now, and it's absolutely infuriating. So far, I've found no solution. As it is out of warranty, I am loathe to take it to the Apple store, but I am beginning to fear I will have no choice.

I've got an early 2008 15" MBP with the NVIDIA 8600M GT 512. It spends most of its time in use as a desktop machine, with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected, so I don't notice the problem often. However, any time I take my Mac mobile, I am plagued by this issue. What happens is that, seemingly at random, the keyboard and trackpad will completely stop functioning. The only way to get around the problem is to connect a mouse and reboot, which returns things to normal for a few minutes, then it happens again. If I have no mouse, I have to force-shutdown, as the power key still works. Sometimes the keyboard and trackpad will shut down all at once, and sometimes they will fluctuate for a while, with keystrokes not registering and trackpad motions not happening. Sometimes keys will stick (not physically) sending a character repeating across the screen until I hit another key. But, in the end, the result is the same: no input functionality, necessitating a reboot.

Sometimes I am able to use my MBP for long periods without a problem. Sometimes it happens within minutes. It happens when it's hot, it happens when it's not. There seems to be no real consistency. For a long time I thought that it was a software issue as it never happened while booted into windows. But recently it has happened while booted into Windows 7, though it never happened in XP. The motherboard has been replaced recently, and the issue did not go away. So it has to be something else. I'm completely stumped.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2010, 09:22 PM

I had this issue on my MacBook, I took it apart and disconnected where the trackpad and keyboard connect to the mobo and put it back together. Sure enough it hasn't happened since I noticed it happened more often when it was warm. But I'd recommend taking it apart and reconnecting that part. To be honest if it's anything like my MacBook was it's not that hard to put back together.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2010, 08:00 AM

You need a new top case assembly and cable.

The first time I took mine in, they just re-seated the cable.
The second time they gave me a new top case assembly and fitted my previous keyboard. Been fine ever since.

ClockNova  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hmmm. What's that going to cost for a Mac out of warranty, I wonder?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2010, 05:54 PM

If you're not comfortable performing the repair yourself, you're best off asking your local Apple store, an authorized service provider may be cheaper.
If you think you can perform the upgrade yourself, you will be able to get prices, parts and repair guides from iFixit.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2010, 06:34 PM

The worst part is transferring the keyboard. It's not difficult, but it IS tricky if you don't have proper instructions.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 12:00 PM

Smalldog.com has a link to videos of their obviously competent female tech carefully stepping through MBP keyboard replacement. It is very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUonF...eature=related

Or my local Mac shop does it with new keyboard for $225. In my case there are multiple things wrong (keyboard, on/of button, clicker, DVD slot) from a major hot chocolate spill so I have not wanted to open the full can of worms because of potential parts costs. Externals have been keeping it working, and I set it to restart when the power fails; that way I can restart without using the switch.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ClockNova View Post
Hmmm. What's that going to cost for a Mac out of warranty, I wonder?
Often the store will do certain major things even out of warranty for what AppleCare would have cost, US$349 if it is an obvious the-box-should-not-do-this kind of thing. However your MBP's symptoms are classically caused by liquids or debris in the keyboard so I would not be too expectant of price breaks even if it was under warranty. The Reno shop I use quoted $225 to replace just the keyboard - but warned that multiple other parts could also need replacing.

OTOH if it is just a loose cable (wouldn't that be nice) most shops have a $50-$100 minimum to open it up. But that seems unlikely since you had a mobo replacement and the symptoms existed before and after that. AFAIK mobo replacement would include disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard.

If you have no good local repair shop you can ship to Apple, or to Smalldog in New England.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM. )

ClockNova  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2010, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not liquid or debris; my MBP spends most of its life closed on my desk, which is why it took me so long to notice the problem.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ClockNova View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not liquid or debris; my MBP spends most of its life closed on my desk, which is why it took me so long to notice the problem.
What the cause is really does matter much because there is no warranty discussion. Note that one drop of liquid at any time either before or after you got the box could cause those symptoms. E.g. the 48,000 views of the very first (stcky) thread at the top of this forum...

-Allen

ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 8, 2011, 03:23 PM

ClockNova, did you ever figure out what the issue is/was? Did you try to fix it yourself?

My older macbook is doing this and I am wondering what to try out for a fix. I was hoping to use it as a test machine for work instead of buying a Windows 7 netbook, but I don't want to spend the same amount of money to repair an old laptop.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2011, 03:37 PM

MacBook or MBP?
My MBP fix was having the top case assembly and cable replaced - kept the same old keyboard.

ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 8, 2011, 05:51 PM

Macbook 2GHz Core Duo. Yea, it's old, but it could still server a meaningful purpose ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules