Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Handrick's Gin

Handrick's Gin
Railroader
Banned
Jan 6, 2007, 01:00 AM

As you all well know, I am a beer snob. However, during a vacation this summer a friend turned me on to Hendrick's Gin. I must say, I am IMPRESSED. I am sipping a little on the rocks and loving it. It's extremely complex for a gin.

I've tried it with tonic and OJ. I think I prefer sipping it on the rocks the most.

Anyone else appreciate this liquor?

Any other mixer I should try? Collins mix?

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2007, 10:16 AM

Years ago I drank nothing but Bombay Sapphire. These days I stick mostly to dark heavy beers and full bodied red wines.
SAm

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 10:13 PM

Hendrick's is indeed a fine Gin, as is Bombay Sapphire. Try it with ginger ale, on the rocks. Maybe more of a summertime drink, but still - never to early to dream about summer.

Another favourite of mine used to be an emerald matini - equal parts gin and melon liquer, shaken not stirred. hehe.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 10:20 PM

Now there's a coincidence. I spent New Years weekend on Cape Cod with some friends and one of them also introduced me to the self-same gin (I didn't try it, I hate gin).

This friend of yours didn't happen to be named Alex, did he?

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2007, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE]Hendrick's is indeed a fine Gin, as is Bombay Sapphire. Try it with ginger ale, on the rocks. Maybe more of a summertime drink, but still - never to early to dream about summer./QUOTE]

That wont be to hard as I walked around all day today in shorts and sandals. 71 degrees on January 6th in New Jersey. Weird.
SAm

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 11:33 PM

gin = pine needles = gross

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I disagree - one of my favourite chicken dish is skinless chicken steamed with pine needles....mmmmm

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jan 7, 2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Actually, it's juniper berries and Hendrick's adds cucumber.

I tell my wife I am getting all the vegetables I need with each shot.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 02:15 AM

I know its not actually pine needles, but that's what it tastes like to me

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 02:24 AM

Personally I haven't tried Hendricks as it is not imported into NZ, but from all reports it is one of the best gins on the market.

My personal favourite at the moment is Blackwoods Vintage Gin, which is one of the few gins that I drink straight. In the same vein, South gin is a nice delicate style, which 'over-mixing' ruins the effect.

To me one of the most disappointing gins is Bombay Sapphire. For such a huge seller, it is decidedly ordinary. Give me a Tanq, a Plymouth, hell, even a Brokers any day.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 04:50 AM

I think what makes Bombay Sapphire so popular is that it IS a bit ordinary - it doesn't have any really bold flavour characteristics that Gins like Hendricks or Tanqueray do but instead has a brilliantly clean, refreshing finish that is just fantastic in the proper drink.

edit: gotta say, Plymouth gin never has done it for me - its a short step above Gordon's in my book. way too harsh.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 06:08 AM

This is just a modern designer Gin, charging double because its in a funny bottle is genius.
At least Gordon's is the real deal.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Any credibility you had in this thread is now shot.

Gordons (or at least the watered down 37.2% version we see over here) is nothing short of pizzle.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Any credibility you had in this thread is now shot.

Gordons (or at least the watered down 37.2% version we see over here) is nothing short of pizzle.
Im not saying its good gin, but it does have a history, its a real london gin (AKA Mothers Ruin) responsible for 1000's of violent deaths throughout the years.

Its not a 21st century money making scheme by a scottish brewery.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, it's juniper berries and Hendrick's adds cucumber.

I tell my wife I am getting all the vegetables I need with each shot.
Heh.

Speaking of cucumber, try a Hendrick's g&t with a slice of cucumber instead of lime. It's really good.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jan 8, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
Speaking of cucumber, try a Hendrick's g&t with a slice of cucumber instead of lime. It's really good.
That, is a genius idea!

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Personally I haven't tried Hendricks as it is not imported into NZ, but from all reports it is one of the best gins on the market.

My personal favourite at the moment is Blackwoods Vintage Gin, which is one of the few gins that I drink straight. In the same vein, South gin is a nice delicate style, which 'over-mixing' ruins the effect.
Funnily enough, in the UK it's the opposite problem. You can get Hendricks in the supermarket, but South is a little harder to come by. (Plenty of 42 Below about though - although not the Feijoa). Mail order or Harvey Nichols are the only places I've found it.

How strange that two of the best gins should come from two little island groups near the north and south poles. (Blackwoods is from Shetland).

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post

bravo! I agree. You don't find that many gin knowlegable people these days.

I did hit Bombay for a few years and come back to Gordon's, by far the best gin, the original.

It hurts when I see the "African Queen" when Katharine Hepburn is pooring Humphrey Bogart Gordon's bottles in the river....

We had some serious partying at home during December, not just christmas but a brother and a cousin celebrating their coming marriages. This is a huge family but still, from December 6 to January 7, we drank 33 Gordon's bottles, mostly as gin tonics....

I trashed and counted them while trashing them in the huge glass recicle bin.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 05:46 AM

I went through such a gin phase a few years back that I rarely drink it anymore, however Hendricks is the exception to that...it's definitely one of the finest around for a number of reasons and there's no reason at all to complicate it with mixers, it's great just as it is, or maybe with a splash of soda if you must.

Its not so much the cucumbers that make it so complex as it is the floral elements that they add to the distilling process. They make a perfect counterbalance to the still distinct juniper note that befits a good gin.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
This is a huge family but still, from December 6 to January 7, we drank 33 Gordon's bottles, mostly as gin tonics....
It might be a good idea to double check who was drinking Gin, if it was only you then we might have a problem.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 06:37 PM

Eating and drinking all of us, some nights during Christmas we were up to 27.

Lot's of fun

Cheers
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2007, 08:54 AM

Well, seeing as yesterday I was passing one of the few places that sells Hendrick's in England (the big Tesco's on Cromwell Road), I thought I'd pick up a bottle. And I have to say, I'm not a convert. It's quite interesting, and hilariously pretentious, but I prefer Bombay Sapphire

Forum Links
Forum Rules