Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "Illegal Instruction" Error On Startup

"Illegal Instruction" Error On Startup
takaplan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2002, 10:32 PM

Hi,
This is my first post; hopefully someone can help me.

I have a G3 with Mac OS 9...when I boot up, I get an error "Illegal Instruction" and I have to restart. The only way to boot up is to use the Mac OS 9 CD or use extensions off.

By toggling the extensions, I narrowed it down to Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC as the cause of the problem. When I turn them off, I boot fine. But no programs work without them on (they give errors about not being able to access certain lib files). However, after I reinstalled new copies of Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC from my system CD, I still crash on startup.

Can anyone help me? I zapped my PRAM and updated disk drivers...is there any way to solve this without reinstalling Mac OS?

Thanks!

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2002, 10:40 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by takaplan:
<strong>Hi,
This is my first post; hopefully someone can help me.

I have a G3 with Mac OS 9...when I boot up, I get an error "Illegal Instruction" and I have to restart. The only way to boot up is to use the Mac OS 9 CD or use extensions off.

By toggling the extensions, I narrowed it down to Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC as the cause of the problem. When I turn them off, I boot fine. But no programs work without them on (they give errors about not being able to access certain lib files). However, after I reinstalled new copies of Shared Library Manager and Shared Library Manager PPC from my system CD, I still crash on startup.

Can anyone help me? I zapped my PRAM and updated disk drivers...is there any way to solve this without reinstalling Mac OS?

Thanks!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hmm, there might be a problem with the extensions, or some other extention causing a problem that that extention is suffering from.

I am not sure, try looking for the same extensions on the boot disk and try swaping them.

What sort of error at startup is it? sad mac? Bomb error?

Vanquish
Jul 14, 2002, 09:21 AM

try to reboot a few times, sometimes it just starts working. If not try to replace the Shared Library extensions with copies from an other computer (from a friend or so) your versions could be corrupt. If that doesn't work I suggest to simply do a new clean-install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules