Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.6.5 Stacks

OS X 10.6.5 Stacks
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2011, 09:57 PM

How do I make stacks on the dock please help me.

thanks

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 10:47 PM

Stacks are folders, simply drag the folder that you want to the right side of the divider in your dock.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 11:42 PM

Does anyone find stacks useful ? I don't.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 05:24 AM

I do.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2011, 07:28 AM

Me too.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2011, 10:22 AM

OK great that works thanks alot, now here is another question I drag my Applications folder to the bar, but the icons are HUGE is there a way to change them or am I just asking to damn much

Thorzdad
Jan 2, 2011, 11:34 AM

Click on the Apple in the upper left corner of the screen. Select Dock > Dock Preferences. You can adjust icon size, level of magnification, etc. there.
BTW, Stacks doesn't work if you have the Dock positioned on either side of the screen. It only works when the Dock is on the bottom of the screen. Personally, I've never found Stacks all that helpful.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks, I like them because it keeps my dock clean, and I am kinda of a neat freak

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 12:14 PM

Oh, the Stacks feature works fine - just not as a fan; only in grid or list view.

I use Grid View all the time.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2011, 01:26 PM

Folder view and either Grid or List are great. I use Grid for media or applications, and List for quick access to oft-used references, reading, and documents to avoid a cluttered desktop or burrowing through the Finder.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2011, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I'll continue the love fest for stacks.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2011, 03:14 AM

Me too..

I have my Home, Downloads and Applications folders in there and they are used all the time. Well, Home not as much, but I keep it there for the looks. Also I have a fourth folder with aliases to most used folders called "Dock Shelf". All of them are set to grid view except for the Dock Shelf because for some reason aliases act like folders in Grid but open in one click in List view. I don't use Fan mode as it never shows enough icons. Not even for my Home folder which is the only one I would use it for if I could. (I hate that I don't use the Public folder, but it always comes back. I wonder if I could set it to hidden...)

This is what bugs me about Fan view...

Look at that. "1 more item in Finder". What the hell is that? It couldn't show that one more item in that spot? Oh, no, it needs to have an "Open in Finder" button. Stupid. BTW, that "one more item" is of course the never ever EVER used Public folder that I despise so much.

Also, I really really really miss more recognizable icons for the folders in my Home directory.
( Last edited by Jasoco; Jan 8, 2011 at 03:30 AM. )

webraider
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2011, 12:05 PM

I didn't put my home folder in the Dock for this very reason. I created another called "Folders for the Dock" and put in my Home Folder directory. I then created aliases to each of the folders I wanted there ie: Music, Documents, Movies, and my own "Updates and Installers" folder that I keep downloaded apps and updates in for backup purposes. I Put them all in this folder, dragged this folder the dock. Clicked "Display as Stack" and violla. I get only folders I want. I could copy the documents folder icon and paste it onto the folder and just keep it folder view too.. but I kind of like the multiple folder icon that I get. It lets me know I'm clicking on not just a single folder. I have mine in Fan view, but I keep my app folder in Grid view. Grid view is not ideal just yet for file browsing, but it's definitely getting better. Apple will soon go this way for browsing I believe. It's simpler than the finder which is getting kind of old although, I the cool thing is that when I open this this stack in Fan view, it gives me a nice new finder window in the directory I want to go.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2011, 04:47 PM

In terminal:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

then:
killall Dock

Best stack ever.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2011, 04:59 PM

Awesome advice, telling people to type stuff in the Terminal without telling them what each step does, or how to reverse it.

Might wanna include an "rm" somewhere for maximum learning effect.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 05:15 PM

Reverse it? it adds a dock icon. To "reverse" it, you drag the icon out of your dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules