Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hardware diagnostic software for 7600?

hardware diagnostic software for 7600?
Mr K
Jan 22, 2002, 07:43 PM

My fathers computer got hit by lightning, a 7600, we think and the Ethernet is not working properly now.

Is there anyway to test the hardware using software?

He lives in a different state, a bit hard for me to help out with physical poking around.

the software he is using to connect to cable is not working - i think maybe the extensions are mucked up (separate incident)

Appletalk needs to be off, right? what else do I need to know?

thanks heaps -Keith

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 08:32 PM

Tech tool pro will test some hardware but you might be best off taking it in for a tech to look at it.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2002, 10:10 PM

AppleTalk's actually pretty good for testing the Ethernet hardware. Try connecting to some other machine via AppleTalk, and if it works, then your problem is probably just some TCP/IP settings. If even AT doesn't work, you could have bad hardware, or bad OT extensions, or a bad cable...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Mr K:
<STRONG>My fathers computer got hit by lightning, a 7600, we think and the Ethernet is not working properly now.

Is there anyway to test the hardware using software?

He lives in a different state, a bit hard for me to help out with physical poking around.

the software he is using to connect to cable is not working - i think maybe the extensions are mucked up (separate incident)

Appletalk needs to be off, right? what else do I need to know?

thanks heaps -Keith</STRONG>
If the ethernet chip or socket has been hit, it would be a "could have been worse" situation - you might just put a PCI ethernet card in (a 10 Mbit model will be sufficient for cable) and surf along. There are excellent used Dayna cards on the market, Asant� both new and second hand, take your pick.

Of course, as has been said here before, testing the basic functions of the ethernet socket by local networking is the method of choice.

And yes, because of security, AppleTalk should be off whenever the cable connectivity is up again.

Regards,

Walter.

Mr K  (op)
Jan 25, 2002, 07:06 PM

thanks for all the replies

unfortunately there is not another computer to test the ethernet with, i think it maybe software

We're in different states. i don't currently have a mac and cant remember which extensions and TCP/IP things need to go where.

Could someone who has cable or similar please just give me a list of the relevant extensions and TCP/IP files that need to be in the right place please???

thanks heeeaaaaps!

Forum Links
Forum Rules