Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Minis ship w/ iLife '06? or '05?

New Minis ship w/ iLife '06? or '05?
yoesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 02:34 PM

Will a new Mac Mini purchased today (post MWSF) ship with iLife '06? or does one need to buy a new MacIntel machine to get '06 loaded on?

thanks,

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 03:29 PM

'06
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 06:26 PM

They should ship with iLife '06, but if the machine was originally shipped earlier than yesterday (read: likely), it will come with iLife '05 and you may have to pony up $20 for Apple to send you '06. To make sure it has '06, buy in-store rather than online and have the apple employees either throw in '06 or make sure it's pre-installed.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 11:45 PM

Actually, if you order it and it ships today, it should have it in the box. Getting it in store is more likely to net you a iLife '05 model (which you can upgrade for $20).

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by yoesh
Will a new Mac Mini purchased today (post MWSF) ship with iLife '06? or does one need to buy a new MacIntel machine to get '06 loaded on?

thanks,

It shows on the Apple Store that the mini ships with the '05 version of iLife. I think that the new iLife '06 is only for the new Intel iMacs (and Macbook Pro when it ships), otherwise they would have updated on their website...I also heard that Steve Jobs did not have enough supplies to update the Mini and iBooks which were targeted to be released with the iMac on Mac World 2006 (so I heard), so if you can wait, wait for the new Intel Mini which should be released as soon as they have the amount of supply that they hoped for. The reason why they had the iMac is because they didn't really need to update anything on it except for the Intel Chips, on the Mini is a whole different story, they want to make it a Media Hub so you can watch TV etc...

Just an advice...

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 09:04 PM

It probably comes in the shipment as an extra.
-Dan

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 11:03 PM

Any CPU bought in the Apple Store after the Macworld announcement (iLife announcement) will have a "drop-in" disk with the new iLife 06 in it. You don't have to pay for it. You just have the insert the disk and do the upgrade yourself.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Any CPU bought in the Apple Store after the Macworld announcement (iLife announcement) will have a "drop-in" disk with the new iLife 06 in it. You don't have to pay for it. You just have the insert the disk and do the upgrade yourself.
Actually, my statement above was correct. However, it seems like Apple finally figured out that they were pissing people off by charging $20 in years past and are now only charging $10.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sworthy
Actually, my statement above was correct. However, it seems like Apple finally figured out that they were pissing people off by charging $20 in years past and are now only charging $10.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

Again, if you buy a CPU at the APPLE RETAIL STORE, you don't have to pay anything for iLife 06. Go try it.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Duracell
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Again, if you buy a CPU at the APPLE RETAIL STORE, you don't have to pay anything for iLife 06. Go try it.
We just recieved a mac mini at my office, it came with iLife 06.
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 03:34 PM

It will definetly come with iLife '06.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2006, 02:57 AM

Unfortunately I bought mine at the APple Store on December 19th, 2005 so no free or discounted upgrade for me....oh well. No biggie.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules