Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Latch Question

MBP Latch Question
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 08:05 AM

The latch button on my MBP is inset on my machine and sometimes its difficult to open. That is, rather than sticking out its flush with the case. I have to use the tip of my finger to open it up. Sometimes it doesn't unlatch right away and when it does open the lid -- it does not spring up like it did on the Powerbook. Is that just the way they're designed?

tklassnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

no the latch on my mp is flush too but the lid definately pops up about an inch when i press the latch in. yours missing a spring or something?
Macbook Pro 1.83ghz, 1.5gb RAM
and old Tibook 550mhz, 256 mb RAM

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 11:52 AM

mine is the same way - much more annoying to open than my previous 12" powerbook. Are others noticing this as well?

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 12:15 PM

Mine definitly "springs" up a half inch or so - I'd say there's something amiss. Are you near an Apple Store? Otherwise you could call. I realize it's not a huge issue, but I'm fairly certain it's not supposed be that way.

My button is flush though, and I too have to use my fingertip, pretty sure that much is normal.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 12:15 PM

I just chalked it up to having big hands. On my old iBook I could just press my thumb flat against the front where the latch is and it would pop open. On the MBP I have to almost use the tip of my fingernail to get it to pop open. Kind of annoying but I hardly close mine anyway.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 12:39 PM

I agree that the lack of springing is not right. With regards to the complaints about the button being flush with the machine, however, that could be a response to earlier complaints from PB owners that their 'books would wake up when the button was pushed accidentally while being carried in a bag. It may be more difficult to open this way, but it's also less likely to open unintentionally, which seems like a good thing to me.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
I just chalked it up to having big hands. On my old iBook I could just press my thumb flat against the front where the latch is and it would pop open. On the MBP I have to almost use the tip of my fingernail to get it to pop open. Kind of annoying but I hardly close mine anyway.
Same here. I have to almost use the tip of my fingernail to pop my MBP open too.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2006, 04:40 PM

And I thought it was because I have huge hands. Good to know that other feel this too.

-a

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 04:53 PM

Glad to know that there might be an actual design reason for why it's harder to open (than a PowerBook), though!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 03:09 AM

The amount of "springing up" also has to do with the amount of force pushing against the lever. I've had a PB with a slightly bent lid, so that the lid would come very close to the base. That meant when you pressed the release button, it hardly sprung open - lack of force (by the spring). If you then insert something between lid and base to enhance the gap (like 2mm of rubber) and thus increase the spring's force, the lid will spring up more when released.

Basically it all boils down to Apple not making sure the gap is at minimum >1mm. The rubber pads they use are too far away from the latch and they're much too small - maybe because some people complain about the gap. OTOH keyboard marks on the screen came from exactly this gap being to small.

This is also the reason most 12" PB users don't have the problem. Like the iBook the 12" PB has larger rubber pads and they're at a smaller distance from the latch. If you take a look at both kinds of pads, you can;t miss the difference.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
The rubber pads they use are too far away from the latch
I don't know about you, but my MBP has rubber pads right next to the latches, in addition to the ones on the outer edge of the screen.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2006, 11:08 AM

You're right, my bad. The pads are so damn small I didn't even notice them there.

On the 15" PB, there were no pads next to the latch, just the ones on the side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules