Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Shuts off sometimes without warning

Macbook Shuts off sometimes without warning
Unspeaked
Jun 9, 2006, 04:42 PM

Especially after waking from Sleep, it just powers off.

This pisses me off so bad, becaues I love the simplicity of apple, but My powerbook G4 was giving problems too.

Somebody help me, I hope this isn't an issue to where I have to return or take it to the apple store for replacement, i hate doing that.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 06:43 PM

I had one that was shutting down randomly and had to have to swaped for a new one, this one is fine.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

JasonBourne
Jun 9, 2006, 11:11 PM

I have encountered the same problem. My mac book is on sleep mode and it won't wake up. It sleep in the middle of doing something. I thought it turned it self off but if I closed the lid the light turned on. I just send the my mac book for repair and it was pick up by DHL few hours ago. I did a hardware test with the CD it came with it and it shows no hardware problem. I try to reinstall the software but it sleep during the installation. I try to restart several times and I also reset the PR ram but I still encountered several kernel panic. I deleted the Microsoft office for mac then my computer started to work for few minute. I thought everything will be fine so rip a DVD using mactheripper and my computer wen't to sleep again, so I turned it off but nothing is showing on the screen when I turn it on. The only I did on macbook is upgrade the ram to 2 gb and installed microsoft office for mac, photoshop element 3 and popcorn 2
( Last edited by JasonBourne; Jun 10, 2006 at 12:02 AM. )

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 11:26 PM

i've had mine replaced for this reason. they upgraded me to a black one for 50 USD more. this bitch is perfect.

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 11:28 PM

Did you have to twist some arms to get the upgrade ThisGuy?
27" iMac C2D

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 11:31 PM

nope. they sold out of the white ones (which i like more) and offered me an upgrade.

JasonBourne
Jun 9, 2006, 11:52 PM

Since my mac book was upgrded to 80gb they won't accept exchange and they have to be send to factory for repair. I learned my lesson next time I just buy the standard version. I only got my macbook for 8 days

masugu
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 11:55 PM

Whoa...I am praying to the BlacBook Gods this does not happen to me. All I can gtipe about is a mouse button which is a little dead on the extreme left.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Unspeaked  (op)
Jun 10, 2006, 12:17 AM

Did any of you guys that got it replaced do it at the apple store?

This is terrible man. Also, I thought there was right click on this thing when you hold both fingers on the mousepad ant press? It doesnt seem to be doing that for me.

unix
Jun 10, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dollaboy
Did any of you guys that got it replaced do it at the apple store?

This is terrible man. Also, I thought there was right click on this thing when you hold both fingers on the mousepad ant press? It doesnt seem to be doing that for me.
Hi,

You need to enable that in system preferences, by default its not enabled.

To enable, go to System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Trackpad>Tap trackpad using two fingers as a secondary click

Forum Links
Forum Rules