Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PuTTY for os x?

PuTTY for os x?
unix
Jan 10, 2008, 12:17 AM

i need a SSH client for mac something lk PuTTY i know os x has SSH built in to the terminal, but i dont know how to use it...if neone can suggest a program like putty or how to use the SSH in terminal please let me know thx =)

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 01:20 AM

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 01:46 AM

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you want to obfuscate learning how to use the command line SSH client, what chance do you have at learning how to negotiate working in a Unix environment once you've established your SSH connection to your Unix machine?

It's not that hard:

ssh username@hostname

or:

ssh -l username hostname

Because PuTTY is just a GUI front-end to making these connections (and bookmarking them, etc.), all of the same SSH protocol level requirements and limitations apply. That is, if you want to do public key authentication, PuTTY is probably not going to make that any easier.

Windows users are always looking for cute little applications to make things easier, and in doing so they become extremely vendor dependent. In my opinion, being responsible for computers is no fun when you have these sorts of crutches and dependencies. Take control.

End of my lecture

unix  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you want to obfuscate learning how to use the command line SSH client, what chance do you have at learning how to negotiate working in a Unix environment once you've established your SSH connection to your Unix machine?

It's not that hard:

ssh username@hostname

or:

ssh -l username hostname

Because PuTTY is just a GUI front-end to making these connections (and bookmarking them, etc.), all of the same SSH protocol level requirements and limitations apply. That is, if you want to do public key authentication, PuTTY is probably not going to make that any easier.

Windows users are always looking for cute little applications to make things easier, and in doing so they become extremely vendor dependent. In my opinion, being responsible for computers is no fun when you have these sorts of crutches and dependencies. Take control.

End of my lecture
haha no u dun sound like a dick, i reali do want to learn how to use ssh in terminal and now that u've shown me tats all i need, i write code in nedit and compile within terminal, so im all for running stuff in command line, thx =)

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 10:57 PM

On a related note, you may find that another UNIX tool is useful: sftp. You use it the same way as ssh:

sftp username@hostname

or:

sftp -l username hostname

and then use the commands "put" and "get" to move files between your Mac and the host machine. Very handy if you would like to write your code while not connected to the remove machine and then zap it over later.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules