Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook with Windows desktop?

Powerbook with Windows desktop?
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 03:44 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so bear with me. I'm a longtime Mac lover from way back. Well, since a few years ago, through no real choice of my own, I've been stuck with a windows-based desktop PC. Now I'm in the market for a laptop, and I'd absolutely love to take this opportunity to get back with Macs. My question is, what would be the complications with owning a powerbook with a windows-based desktop PC? I'm really not a computer whiz, and have been out of the Macintosh loop for so long, I don't know if there would be problems with printing, file transfer, etc. Thanks for help you all can give me!

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 03:59 PM

I connect my PowerBook to my Athlon all the time for file transfer.

Mac OS X has "Samba" built in...it's the Windows SMB file sharing protocol for UNIX systems. I just connect to my PC's file sharing by hitting Command-K in the Finder and entering smb://ipaddress (substitute the PC's IP address for "ipaddress"). Macs can also share with PCs easily (see Sharing in System Preferences).

As for printing...I don't do it that often. I have one of those cheapie (but nice) USB HP LaserJet 1012s and just unplug it from the PC and hook it up the PowerBook when I need it.

You might want to check out MacWindows. Lots of Windows and Mac integration tips. Some of the stuff in MacWindows may be the older stuff (Mac OS 9 and earlier).

As for files: Office for Mac plays nicely with Office for PC. A jpeg is a jpeg no matter what platform it's on. I use a nice cross-platform video player called VLC on both my Mac and my PC for playing movie files and such.
( Last edited by Voch; Sep 24, 2004 at 04:06 PM. )

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 05:36 PM

I have a windows xp pro desktop machine and before buying my Powerbook 17" I visited about fifty sites that were giving me step-by-step instructions on how to connect your Mac to Windows.

After I bought my Powerbook I did not need ONE of them.

I connected the powerbook with my Win desktop machine (via a crosscable), which was logged in to the internet. I opened Safari on my Mac, typed www.apple.com and the site was there!!!!
I could not believe my eyes when the internet page loaded. Thinking that this luck would in no way be repeated, I tried to access my windows network files. I went to the finder, clicked on network and to my surprise the neighbourhood MSHOME was listed, in which I could access my winxp machine. Being carried away by the fact that this whole process took less than two minutes, I went ahead to see if I could use my shared printers that were plugged to my winxp machiine.
Went to System preferences -> Print & Fax -> Printer List -> Add

It found both of my installed printers (Canon & Lexmark) instantly. I printed a test page and it came out fine. No drivers installed, no hassles.

I think Apple just cannot afford to make these processes troublesome and quirky because of their switch campaign, therefore they FULLY live up to their philosophy: Apple. It just works.

just my 0.02 $

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

I had a problem with smb filesharing turns out it was on the windows side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules